HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,323 Posts
Gallery
Show us your plane!

There are many planes out there to choose from. I know a few of us built our own planes.. Others are using off the shelf models. I figured we could all share our setups to help give everyone an idea of what's out there...

My current production plane was first 'born' back in 2005. The first logged flight was back on Dec 24th 2005. Since then I've logged over 7 hours worth of flying on it. There is probably more flight time on the plane since I forgot to log a hand full of flights.

It has a 54" wingspan and comes in about 2-2.5 lbs. The power plant is a 2100mah cell pushing a AXI-2808/24 and a 9x5.5 prop. On average I fly the system under power for about 10 minutes before coming back down. The longest flights were over the summer @ DC-RC in Maryland. There I was able to thermal up a few times for long duration flights.

A few other fun facts.. The plane has an average cruise of about 20-25mph. Higher speeds are about 30-35mph. Usually I loiter around about 100-500 feet AGL.. However it has been up to about 1200' AGL. The plane is also equipped with an FMA CoPilot allowing a bit of flight stability when needed.

As of 2007 I'm retiring the plane in hopes of building another one. A few good spinoffs came from the design. I was able to build a larger '40' sized version and a quicker more nimble '35' sized version is in the works.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:20 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
I don't have any pictures of my Easy Star except for some closeups of the T&P, but my Tiger Moth has probably got a couple of years worth of flying on it, spent the night in trees, battered it's prop repeatedly into trees trying to land at difficult sites, been flown indoors and out, in calm and was crashed at our labor day picnic in the dying gasps of Ernesto.

This is my second tiger moth. My first was lost in high winds and my flying buddy gave me his. I had already flown it into all the aforementioned trees, then went and built my own, so this is, in a sense, also my first tiger moth, but I didn't own it then, it was just borrowed.

Very shortly after this video frame the plane landed in Lowell Lake in Vermont and the dinky little 50 mw tx kept transmitting even though it was probably underwater.

The best thing about this plane is that it can be flown anywhere, and it often is! It has never drawn adverse comments from anyone except one tennis player who was annoyed that his father in law was more interested in talking to me than watching his grand kids play tennis!

No head tracking, but I have been thinking about putting a pan servo in. I've also stuck the camera underneath on occasion.

Pete

Edit: I have to add that on both this and the previous pico tiger moth I beefed up the wings with 0.4 mm carbon fiber rods. I used three rods about eight inches long (all deliberately a little different in length) at the center sections at the leading and trailing edges of the bottom wing and the leading edge of the top wing. (a total of nine rods) I have an on-board video of the wings folding prior to doing that mod.
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Dec 28, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:28 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I should have some pictures of my TwinStar II pretty soon. I'm currently building a camera pan/tilt system for it, and it will be ready for some FPV action. It has been upgraded from stock form to now include brushless and lithium polymer power. Two 3 cell 2100 Thunder Power packs in parallel provide the juice, and two 400F brushless motors, two Thunderbird 18 ESC's, and two 6x4 props provide the GO power. And GO it does! The performance is phenomenal in comparison to the stock brushed setup. Can we say unlimited vertical?? Once I get the video gear onboard, it probably will be too heavy for that. But it still has tons of power. Way more than necessary when flying FPV actually. I may prop it down some just to get longer flight times. Which btw, should be somewhere around 25 to 30 minutes.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:37 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,677 Posts
Here are my 4 FPV planes in order of size.

Evo .46 Sized Hangar 9 Arrow Trainer
Saito .82 Plane - My own design
Zenoah G-26 Powered Plane - My own design
Zenoah G-45 Powered Plane - My own design, currently being rebuilt for a lot more speed
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:51 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,103 Posts
Hi

We discovered FPV two months ago and fly FPV for one month. Here are our trainers

The reason is simple, video equipment arrived earlier than the Tiger Moth 400 we are currently building

Anyway I have had only one FPV accident due to a low flight glitch, but keep in mind I fly rc for 14 years, the two formosas had MANY hours, and we started flying one by one with spotter, and that´s a great help (a MUST)

Our equipment: Mine(red).....Sergio(yellow)

Futaba t9cp........................Futaba ff6

Axi 2217/16.........................Axi 2212/26sl
APC 10x5E (underproped).......APC 10x7E
Prolite 3s2100......................Align 3s 1900 13C
Rx 149dp.............................???? (the one of the ff6 tx)

tx 2,4 200mw.......................tx 2,4 200mw
camera kx-131......................kx-131
no video battery....................no video battery

AUW 700g............................AUW 670g

Andres
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:19 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Multiplex PICO Twinstar "first generation".
ESC: 2 Hyperion Titan 20A ( aircraft-world.com )
Motor: 2 brushless Hyperion P1919 outrunners ( aircraft-world.com )
Battery: Thunder Power 11.1 volt 2100mAH Lipo (plane)
: 12 volt Ni-MH 700mAh with homebrew V-reg (with help from Mark Harris & "afroman" of Dimension Engineering) for camera, A/V TX.
P/T control modual: TrackR1 from AeroPix.com ( AnthonyRC )
Pan servo: Hitec HS81 (Twinturbostang style!)
Tilt servo : Hitec HS55
Camera: KPC-S226CB 380tvl, with 2.97mm lens ( Kilrah recommends!)
AV TX Range Video 2.4Ghz 500mw
AV RX: 2.4Ghz AeroPix.com (another quality design from AnthonyRC!)
Futaba 9CAP
HMD: Innovatek V-490
Video Recorder: Panasonic DVD RW (DMR-ES15)

I had replaced the styrofoam cockpit top with balsa wood and carbon fiber to hold the camera/servos in place. The paint job was an attempt I made hoping it would stick to the old style Styrofoam. As you can see, it was not as good as I planned. Oh well, I started on it so I will leave it!

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Last edited by JMSTECH; Jun 20, 2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:11 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,430 Posts
Good Starter

Started off with a EZ* RTF (fig.1)...w/ MicroWireless VideoPod under the wing...(fig.2). Learned to fly RC with it. Got about 40 min of flight time per charge with 2500 mAH NiMH's.

Video Pod was good enough to fly around the "patern". Also gave me a decent cue to turn around, if I got too far when it started to drop out.

Eventually upgraded (fig.3) w/ 480 motor, 6 X 4 Prop, 1800 mAH LiPo, 30 A Jetti ESC, pan, and new radio...about 35 min flights...bit shorter but a lot more responsive.

Radio set-up: Normal 4 Ch set-up, with Cam pan on Flap Pot.

I separated the Video Pod's cam from the Tx. Cam on the pan servo (fig.4). Tx mounted on the tailboom (fig.5).

I fly using this "geek box" (fig. 6). It's a portable DVD player...Hanging around my neck, it gives me a calculated FOV of around 25 deg...I'm able to "look up" and see my plane.

Involuntarily retired, when I tried to go far. Logged about 8.5 FPV hrs and 32 FPV landings.

Currently upgrading:
Getting a new EZ*. Brushless + LiPos, Bigger Video Tx. 90deg FOV Cam.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Dec 31, 2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:04 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Easy*

here are some pictures of my E* i had to make some changes to make it ideal for FPV flight,first thing i did was enlarge the rudder,then i extended the wings
wich allows me to carry allot more payload if needed.this plane has MANY MANY fpv flying hours on it and is still going strong

have a good one
Walter
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:51 AM
Joined Sep 2004
37 Posts
Hello all,

I was working on this project for 3 month, The Predator is ARF kit from NitroHobby.
The Predator included:
-KX131 KT&C cam
-Lawmate 500mW 2.4Ghz TX
-Hyperion 3007 350W Outrunner
-8X4 APC prop
-PCM 8 ch RX (all 8 in use)
-6 Esky micro servos
-mic for Audio
On the ground I use:
-PLL 8 ch RX for AV
-14 dbi High gain antenna (I first use home made patch)
-7" screen from portable DVD system
-RD8000 Sanwa

Also the cam pan/tilt it controlled from the RD8000 (Mix).
The range is unnoun - I reach 1 Kilometer already, and the sky is the limit...

There are some improvement that I will do when I will have some spare money, like video glasses, telemetry and OSD...

Funtana90 is offline Find More Posts by Funtana90
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:55 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Funtana90
Nice plane! I loved your set up as soon as I saw it on Range Video's customer's page! Great job!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Last edited by JMSTECH; Dec 29, 2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:48 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,677 Posts
The predator looks really neat ! The placement of the video TX antenna out the front is very bad for video flying. It will result in dead / very weak spots as the plane flys away and towards the pilot.

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:37 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I suppose it depends on what he plans on doing though. For long distance flying, you're definitely right. It would be better to orient the antenna vertical. However, if he plans on loitering directly overhead at high altitudes, then his current configuration, coupled with a circularly polarized patch antenna pointed straight up, would actually work pretty good.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:12 AM
Joined Sep 2004
37 Posts
Until now there wasn't any problem, I'm getting clear video at 1 Kilometer
also If needed, I can always direct the antenna from this position up or down
Funtana90 is offline Find More Posts by Funtana90
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:35 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Here my VP-stuff ...

Hi together,

started VP-flying only 4 month ago with a MPX TwinStar II, in the meantime I try to build a copy of the Aerosonde (www.aerosonde.com) for VP and RTL-autopilot development. Attached some pictures.

Used stuff for TwinStar II and ground station:

TX-131 cam from BWAV
200 mW 2,4 GHz Tx from BWAV
2x Hitec HS-56 Servos for Pan/Tilt
1000 mAh 2S1P LiPo

2,4 GHz Rx from BWAV
640x480 I-theater goggles
Gyrocontrol from www.rc-tech.ch
Aiptek 6800 Pocket DV recorder
Kokam 1250 mAh 3S1P LiPo
Homemade Bi-Quad-Antenna

Greets, Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_
Last edited by _helitron_; Dec 30, 2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,323 Posts
That's a pretty cool backfire antenna idea.. Never thought of that!
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Closed Thread