SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Discussion
Nan Models Shadow ( sorry for the mistake )

Well, looks like tomorrow will be the maiden flight day.

She is all done except the servo covers. I will post some pics tomorrow.

She came in at 74oz only needing 1oz in the nose to bring the cg to 110mm. Not bad for 144" span!

This is going to be interesting, I kept my same radio setup from my Eraser Extreme- the Standard JR 9303 with the Joe Wurts mods. I will probably have to change the differential settings some.

I am pretty excited!

Then hopefully Ill get the Xpro airborn next week.

Thank goodness for a mild winter so far.

Chip
Chipwillis is offline Find More Posts by Chipwillis
Last edited by Chipwillis; Jan 14, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
nothing like the first flight, there the BEST!

is this a v-tail ?

dh
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:43 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
yes, v tail.

First flights for me are interesting. One test glide, and then up the high start. Long as the test glide is ok, but it should be.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:46 AM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
good luck and hope all goes well.

i put my new planes right on my self launching winch trailer, set the tension to release at about 50-60 lbs. or so, and let her rip!

always fun to see what your going to get.

have fun, and let us know how she flies.

dh
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,974 Posts
Hey Chip!!!! We're waiting for your test flight report. Inquiring minds want to know!

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Sep 2004
89 Posts
Yeah Chip,

I definitely want to hear what you think. I just got my Shadow and I can't wait to get it in the air. We are in the midst of another winter storm so I need to live vicariously through those of you that can get out and fly!

Chris Keller
Gldrpilot is offline Find More Posts by Gldrpilot
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:29 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Got out and flew it today!

I still need to put on the servo covers but said ahh... it will be even better when I get them on.

I balanced at 110mm for now and put together my new high start. My old NSP pinnacle had lived a long life. I got the yellow rubber at Hobby Lobby at the suggestion of a couple folks, and did the line with some thick a$$ mono, like 200lb test or something. I need to get some 135.

Did a couple test glides and range checks ( I run my antenna on the outside- using JR 790 SS ). From a lumbering run and toss, this thing flew half the distance of the Westerville Field. Man.

Put her on the high start and started stretching. This new rubber is strong! I need to put on more line though, with about 100 feet of rubber and 150 ft of line, I was getting 240 foot launches according to my Zlog, or somthing like that. The distances are guesses so I might be way off... I will increase the line length too. There was about 5kts of wind, but it was all 90 deg. crosswind.

FedEx delivered my F3B winch I bought from Rich Burnoski, so I have to get it loaded up and learn how to use it soon!

Anyhow, back to the shadow. I have a TLAR setup on launch preset that will take some time nailing down for flap and aileron droop. Cruise flight was neutral TE, and Reflex a few mm up on flaps and ailerons. The launches were straight, could probably move the hook back a tad for now, but I will wait til I get the cg nailed down.

All the flying consisted of gentle turns, messing around with the rudder to get a feel for it, and some thermal turns. I didn't mess with camber any after launch. Getting a feel for the speed range of this airfoil is interesting. It seems to want to speed up easy, which is cool, but at the same time, it slowed down in turns well. I did get a few tip stalls, and I need to go and spend alot of time on my differential settings and aileron/flap mix. With my Eraser I had Ail/FLP mix on all the time and it was a joy to fly that way. It will be a number of flights getting everything worked out for the best settings, for sure. I need to measure deflections and percentages and log them in the next few days, before I start changing things.

I flew her about 7 times total, and the things I noticed were the pitch sensitivity. I will have to spend alot of time nailing down elevator DR/Expo. The tail is alittle short for such a high aspect ratio wingspan, and maybe its just me, but care will be needed in pitch. Dropping the flaps and Ailerons up for landing made approaches steady, and slow, but not too much slower than normal slow flight mode. Had great authority on roll and yaw on final approaches.

All in all, I have a ton of flights to do, to get used to the Blue Beast! It is a beautiful airplane.

I went thru an area of lift that was pretty weak and can best described as, well, I am not coming down, but not going up. The plane indicated pretty well so I may not need to move the CG too far aft. One I nail the best turn speeds/etc. I am sure this is going to be my primary weapon for next season.

There are a few little things that showed up later that are worth mentioning. I broke piece of a Flap Wiper while grinding some. Not that big a deal, you normally don't see it anyhow. I used CA installing my Servoframes. I dont know if the CA did it or not, but looking at the top of the wing surface, you can tell where they are, but the slightest depression. I'm going to epoxy the ones in the XPro. The Fuselage is spacious and for the Vtail, mounting servos side by side, and still getting max throw on the Ruddervators is possible using shorter control horns on the servos. I grinded away some room to use larger to learn later, I really didn't need to do that. I have my battery mounted way up in front of the canopy, along with 1oz of lead, then the RX and 6v mpi voltage regulator next, with more room for a Zlog with ease. The wing construction is very light!. There was a slight defect on one of the flaps ( looks like someone bit it, but it is only visible really close, and from underneath ).

You can go to www.chipwillis.com/shadow to see some of the pics I shot today.

One a fun note, I put the zlog into the Multiplex Easyglider motor version, and with a 3 cell 1320TP battery, stock motor, climbed to a very high altitude amost directly overhead. I could see it clearly and could have gone another 2-300 feet but the Zlog said I was at just under 1500 feet!

If you wan't a plane that is to stay in the car all the time for that few minutes, get one! At $89.00 from Hobby-Lobby.com it is a great deal.

I have the glider version I am going to go throw together now as a matter of fact. Should be able to thermal off an Ant Fart.

Chip
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Beautiful glider, I like it!
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Last edited by flystoolow; Dec 28, 2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:59 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
plane looks great!

never seen a paint scheme like that one, where did you buy this plane from ?

dh
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:34 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch
plane looks great!

never seen a paint scheme like that one, where did you buy this plane from ?

dh
Got it from F3x.com

I wonder about the blue, I think I will be putting a bright fluro Orange stripe or arrow on the top surface.

I love the bottom.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:27 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
You have crammed a hacker-master speed control in nose

Quote:
I will have to spend alot of time nailing down elevator DR/Expo. The tail is alittle short for such a high aspect ratio wingspan, and maybe its just me, but care will be needed in pitch.
Maybe you should just move CG forward. Usually the best trim for a glider is the one that feels natural and easy to fly.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:57 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,709 Posts
Hey Chip

Glad to hear you got to take it out and fly. I bet its a real floater. I like the blue. The Green is also good to see. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Get it dialed in and let us know

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:41 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
You have crammed a hacker-master speed control in nose

Maybe you should just move CG forward. Usually the best trim for a glider is the one that feels natural and easy to fly.
Tuomo,

That is a possibility, I didn't get high enough for dive tests or inverted flight, maybe there will be enough lift this afternoon.

What you see in the nose is a 2 cell Lion battery, 2400 mah, by www.fromeco.org
Behind that is a MPI 6v regulator, and the receiver ( jr 790 ).

Plenty of room up there.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:25 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
That is a pretty sweet looking field, Chip. How come the MOSS club never flew there? I used to attend the hand launch contest they held and it was in this little grass cut out surrounded by a bunch of trees.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,974 Posts
Hi Chip,

I like that Blue!!! I would like to add a few cents to the mix:

In reading your comments and looking at the photos, I think you may have too much UP ailerons in the CROW mix. I almost always start my shake down flights with maximum flap deflection and almost no UP aileron for CROW. If the plane floats too much on approach, I add UP aileron. If it doesn't float enough, I decrease the aileron. Everyone has their ideal rate of descent and you change that with the amount of UP aileron during CROW. I would decrease it for yours, as it appears to be a lot. That will slow the plane down a lot without it falling from the sky.

Launch mix: I am deflected 3/8 inch on the flaps as measured at the root, and then the ailerons are dropped to match the flap line. No elevator compensation is used.

Camber mix: I am using about 1/8" on the flaps, with the ailerons matched. She flies very slowly with this, yet retains good roll control.

Reflex mix: I am using about 1/8" raised flap and ailerons set to match. She gets up and MOVES with that!

My CG is also set at 110, but I fly the X-tail version and so the CG may not relate. I do like a sensitive model, and so your preference may be for less wild controls. In the dive, mine is hands off and it uses up about 300-ft to change nose attitude by 20-degrees. A very slow and gradual pull-up. My towhook position is about 1/8" in front of the CG. Launch angle is very steep right from the hand. The photo attached here doesn't reflect that as it is the very first winch launch we did before tuning everything in.

Congrats on those first flights and I really beleive you are going to love that plane!

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249