SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
help, my micro mosquito doesn't charge...

As the topic says, I bought two for my little bros. and I have a few questions...

I put the C-bats in the base, connect it to the helicopter but the charge light never turns on. The manual says to make sure the heli is off. I'm pretty sure the connector is snug. Plus, whats the 5v? plug on the side of the base for?

Do you have to completely drain the batteries? There is still plenty of juice, it just doesn't want to fly or or stay still because it likes to spin in place on the ground (or just be stuck on the base.... but I haven't checked the gears yet).

How do I get back the one I bought for the 13 yr old brother for x-mas who hasn't even opened it nor cares to ever use it (I want it!!!)?

Thank you guys, I think this little thing has potential once we figure out how to use it.
dluv is offline Find More Posts by dluv
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
You're turning on the charger switch after connecting the helicopter, right?

The plug on the side of the charger is for an optional a/c adapter, so you can quit using batteries if you choose.
brett s is offline Find More Posts by brett s
Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
yes, I plug in before turning on the base. the base just doesn't give any indication its charging nor does the copter fly (i never got it to fly, but my brother got it up once before toilet effect took over.
dluv is offline Find More Posts by dluv
Old Dec 27, 2006, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
>How do I get back the one I bought for the 13 yr old brother for x-mas who hasn't even opened it nor cares to ever use it (I want it!!!)?

Seems like a question for Dr. Phill to me, but if he is smaller than you I really don't see the problem. If he is older than you, and asking has'nt helped, put your MM back in the box the best you can and swap him yours when he's not looking.
fredk is offline Find More Posts by fredk
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:18 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2004
174 Posts
If you've double-checked the battery installation, sounds like a bad charger.
brett s is offline Find More Posts by brett s
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
126 Posts
Well, If it just spinning I hope you at least made sure the top gear is on the pinion ? if you ahve done that and If they are new C-batteries something is wrong with your unit, return it and get a replacement. DO NOT COMPLETELY DRAIN THE BATT.
gluneedit is offline Find More Posts by gluneedit
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Had the same problem with my MM yesterday (see post). Solved my problem today by purchasing a 7.5 volt power adapter and ditching the C batteries. Works like a charm.
hawkdriver is offline Find More Posts by hawkdriver
Old May 08, 2007, 09:37 AM
Joined Dec 2006
48 Posts
I have this problem now, the green light doesn't flash, the red light comes on though. I am using an AC adaptor and it was working fine before. I have changed the battery and still no joy.

Is there any problem with me wiring it so the charging cable hooks directly up to the battery terminals? May try it and see but just wondering if this will harm the skeeter?
psymike is offline Find More Posts by psymike
Old May 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
Infinitisqrd
Hilo, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
1,210 Posts
psymike : Better you don't try to fiddle with the wiring of the MM. The charging unit is run through the PCB for a good reason. Unless you're an electronics wizzard, and have a bench full of tech. instruments, all you can do is permanently damage the whole affair. Everything that goes into making the BR work, is done for a specific reason, and should not be f****d with.

Aloha, Steve
Steve Shepard is offline Find More Posts by Steve Shepard
Old May 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
48 Posts
Mmm thanks for the reply, i kind of agree but if you don't fiddle you don't learn. I have a friend who's good with electrical stuff so maybe he can fiddle and if i find out either way i'll post it here.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:12 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Could it be the lipo is done, these are very small lipo cells and they can't be charged forever, after a while they will not hold a charge anymore.

did you try replacing the lipo?
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old May 18, 2007, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2006
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymike
I have changed the battery and still no joy.
First thing i changed as said earlier. I tried it again yesterday and it charged fine but now it wont, very peculiar!
Old May 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
Infinitisqrd
Hilo, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
1,210 Posts
Try this procedure ~ repeated charging. When the charger says the battery is done charging, unplug it from the plane, let set for a few minutes, and then plug it back in, and attempt another charge session. Repeat until the charger refuses to come on when you turn it on.

These batteries have a LVC mounted on a small board,, that is attached to the terminals. Its purpose is to prevent the battery from being discharged below 3V, at which point they can be terminally damaged. This PCB remains "on" at all times, including when the bird is "off". So there is a constant draw of juice; although very small, at all times. If you have discharged your battery to the point where the LVC has cut in, disconnecting the battery from the circuit, the LVC board can continue to draw juice from what remains in the battery, and the battery doesn't have enough energy left in it to initiate the charge circuit.

Best bet is to buy another new battery, and NEVER let the charge get so low the LVC cuts in.

Another good reason to not rewire to suit your curiosity. There are a lot of things going on besides a simple connection to the battery.

Aloha, Steve
Old May 19, 2007, 07:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
48 Posts
Had a fiddle last night, ends up it was just the switch being loose inside, so glued it in the off position so it charges successfully, then soldered some 1 inch long or so wire from two of the switch terminals sticking out the front. When i want to turn it on i just wrap these two wires together, works fine now.

I'm flying without any of the undercarriage attached which saves 1.7grams. Unfortunately it's nowhere as good as it used to be. 4-5 months back when i had modded it LOTS i had it running for over 25 minutes easily. Now it's only doing 14/15 minutes. I may go a little crazy and buy a 500mah battery and attach that, ive seen one around thats only 10 grams (!). Only adding 2 grams extra total, and ive put the extra weight on it as it stands and it flies ok.

If its not broke fix it until it is
Old May 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
Infinitisqrd
Hilo, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2004
1,210 Posts
psymike : Now that's what I like to see ~ someone who has enough sense to keep looking for any possible culprit part that is just a bit haywire. Good job, finding the faulty switch and figuring out how to do without it ! I come from the old school of mechanicing that embraces actually repairing, instead of just replacing, broken or defective pieces and parts. Even if it means bupassing something, or actually manufacturing a new part.

I remember the first big job we ever had at Kustom Karz, my antique auto restoration facility, in Oregon. It was a 1922 Lincoln Town Car, that came into the shop on two trailers and about a hundred boxes. It was completely dismantled, and the guy who tore it apart had passed on, years before. We had to recondition each and every part of that old buggy, and make things look like, or better, than new. The devil was in the details. It came to the point of installing the ignition distributor in the engine block, but the distributor mounting boss could not be found. The owner had searched the world, (literally), trying to find one that was serviceable, to no avail. He did find one that had enough pieces to fit back together, and make a wooden pattern from. I then had to learn how to build a forge and cast a new part, out of aluminum.
Six months later we turned out a perfect casting, that would pass for the real thing anywhere. It wasn't just a matter of being the correct shape, and functional, but it also had to have the same surface finish, so it looked like all the other cast iron parts of the engine. It took me forever, (so it seemed), to come up with a way of creating that finish, but I finally was satisfied.

When we were finished, the owner entered it in the local Concours D' Elegance, at a small college near Portland. Those judges were soooooo picky ~ they covered every inch of the cars with a magnet, looking for Bondo or excessive lead. One judge was inspecting our engine, and his little magnet was sticking to everything ~ We were afraid he would find out our distributor boss was made of aluminum, and dock us a bunch of points, but he got distracted and didn't find out our dirty little secret.

The car went on to be a 100-point show winner, and packed home the Grand Champion, Best of Show purple ribbon, and a six-foot high trophy.

Just goes to show ya ~ sometimes fudging things a bit can be rewarding, as you did with your switch.

Aloha, Steve