HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:42 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Discussion
Slowflyer RC Control without any rudder

Controlling a RC-Slowflyer without any rudder - impossible?

I think, I found a low-cost solution: push-vector-control
(is that right? In Germany we say Schubvektorsteuerung)

Have a look to my short flight-video, onboard filmed by a small FlyCamOne.
You can see WES-Technik Goldline brushless-motor (7.5g) operating and steering the Carbon/DEPRONstyrofoam-plane, total weight: 115 grams.

As I said: without any working rudder (and without dirty tricks... )

Video-Link: http://www.crazyplanes.de/zugvec2.wmv
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Dec 27, 2006 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

In English I think that would be called “thrust vectoring.”

That is a very nice model and video. Thanks for sharing it.

The drawbacks I see are a lack of control when gliding and I would think there is a narrow speed range due to the constant angle of attack. Does your model have those characteristics? You could also use the same linkage to make the entire tail move like that, instead of the motor.

It is a very interesting design and I like the looks a lot.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:23 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
3D Thrust Vectoring in a Slow Flyer - Zugvektorsteuerung

Hi Barry2,

Thanks for compliments.
Regarding the drawbacks I can say, that naturally this flyer is out of control if once the WES-Technik brushless-motor fails or the voltage is beyond the minimum level so that the motor stops. With the design of a glider, this crazy plane could reach the bottom without demage (I tested several times)
As it is a lab-flyer, just to test this novelty of a steered 3D-drive, I think, it is the first 3D-thrust vectoring that came out in that construction-manner, may be?
Because this model formerly was a normal slow-flyer with 2 steering rudders I can compare the flight characteristics of before/now:
The most astonishing fact is, that the control of the plane is more directly than before, without any longer delay. I can fly this plane very,very slow. But no torquing! For this, the small brushless motor is too soft.

Backward-loopings are possible with a very short diameter, forward-loopings have a greater diameter than before, but are also possible (I keep 40yards security-hight), rolls are possible, but look silly.
All in all: with this steering, the flyer shows more precision in all control- operatings than before, when its control based on the 2 rudders.
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Dec 29, 2006 at 04:32 AM.