HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:35 AM
JART Builder/flyer :)
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
229 Posts
Discussion
Dynaflite Freedom

hey all, I hope santa was good to you all.... I was just out flying with my flying buddies and one of them handed me a NIB dynaflite freedom kit that he has had in his cellar since 1984 and just never built.... are these as good as they look? any tips for the build? anybody actually have one and fly it still? all tips and or comments are wellcome....

Leif
Leif is offline Find More Posts by Leif
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:51 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Leif,

it's a great vintage sloper if you have traditional wood building skills as the construction is fairly involved. I have a nib kit but it's way down on the build priority list. There's some info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466486

Do a build thread and share with us!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 09, 2007, 01:55 AM
Joined Mar 2002
224 Posts
Hi Leif,

I had one back in the eighties. I built it light and it could fly with the Gentle Ladies and the Oly 650s. Ballast it up and it really moved out. The large chord ailerons coupled with the long torque rods caused a lot of aileron flutter. Using a dedicated alieron servo in each wing (as is common practice these days) should greatly reduce the chance of flutter.

Others have also stated that the horizontal stab was too small, although I did not find this to be the case.

The dive brakes were a lot of fun and very effective, but prone to a little damage in rough landing areas..

I added a rudder which really helped in formation flying.

Still have the plans and a re-build is on my list.
Also have a nib Freedom X-cell (fiberglass fuse/foam winged version).

have fun!
-E
Mucksmear is offline Find More Posts by Mucksmear
Old Jan 09, 2007, 02:45 AM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Nov 2001
321 Posts
Dynaflite Freedom

Hi! Didn't Dave Garwood do a build thread in a magzine sometime ago. You could look him up on this forum and ask!. Late
Lee R. Wheeler is offline Find More Posts by Lee R. Wheeler
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:38 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Hello Leif,
I am currently refinishing my Freedom (second one), take your time on the build, like Doubletap stated the build is involved, their are a lot of balsa blocks to carve.
The first one I owned, we removed the air brakes and brought/extended the ailerons in one more rib bay, put one servo on each aileron and maxed out the throw, it would roll over even on the verge of a stall.
Mine came in at 28 oz flying weight, I installed a hold down under the wing at the CG point and could ballast it to 40+ oz. Unballasted it would fly in as little as 8-10 mph and ballasted it was flown in 60+ mph winds .
I tried anhedral in the horizontal stab, improved inverted performance(a little), and dyhedral in the horizontal stab ( there again improved positive performance a little), but overall left the stabs the way they were designed, just thinned and airfoil shaped.
Just before my first one died I filleted the the vertical to fuselage and the upper wing fairing to the wing, made it look really sleek.
Take time to carve the fuselage round otherwise it will make the plane look quite a bit less atractive.
The one I am refinishing has the airbrakes (would like to find a reasonbly priced kit and make one without the airbrakes again), got it in a trade and have done a lot of work carving down the fuselage and making some of the above improvements.
Overall this is still one of my favorites to fly, absolutely no bad habits. It did some of the biggest half pipes and loops (poitive and negative) ballasted, many good memories.
Flew once at slope race (at Sandy Lanes in Riverside Ca) in between races to show visitors the aerobatic abilities of slope planes and got in trouble inverted on top of the hill and actually landed it inverted without damaging it embarrasing. This plane made me look good .
As a last note I would fiberglass the wing saddle and a fair amount of the center section of the wing.
If I get time I will take some pictures of the one I am refinishing and post them for you. Any questions don't hesitate to e-mail/pm me.
e-mail lovetoslope@yahoo.com

Happy flying
Chip
sixty9mustang
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:11 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
I built a Freedom from an early kit back in the 1980s, and have flown it occasionally since. It's still ready to fly today, [but landing areas at most slope flying sites in the central Colorado Rockies are a bit rough, so I find myself flying the EPP ships most of the time.]

I built mine to the plans, carving the wing tips and including the landing flaps (which do work very nicely!) I've flown it unballasted in 40 MPH winds; it's clean enough to have good penetration.

It's a lot of years since I built this one, so I can't offer much beyond what's already been suggested as to build tips. It's definitely a 'craftsman's kit' - enjoy the build!

VIKING60
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:25 PM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Freedom Pictures

Hello Leif
Here are some pictures of the Freedom that I am refinishing. Primarily working on the fuselage right now, almost done. Still have to finish stripping the pink monokote off of the wings, then make the changes. Hope to have it done in a month or so.

Good luck and have fun building/flying yours.
Chip
sixty9mustang
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Chip,

can't wait to see it finished and flying!

Doubletap
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:45 PM
a young "Old Sloper"
Monrovia, California
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Hi guys,
I've got a Freedom kit that I will probably never build- anyone interested in buying it? What's it worth? PM me if interested.......DJ
imdji is offline Find More Posts by imdji
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:01 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
Definately a classic design. I always loved it's looks. I'm pretty sure the design was originaly published as a construction article in RCM. However, it had a different name when it first came out. It was called the AR-1 or something similar to that, if I recall.

Does anyone have a copy of that old issue of RCM?
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:57 AM
Surf's up!!
Joined Oct 2005
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Chip,

can't wait to see it finished and flying!

Doubletap
Thanks Doubletap
Can't wait to fly it. I've noticed some posts here recently pertaining to the SI Axle, I'll have post some pics of the one I have , it to is 85% done, can't find the canopy right now, and have to glass the stabilator, finish covering/painting. Need to reconfigure the elevator and rudder servo, though, don't like the way I originally mounted them. With all this talk about it, it kind of has my blood goin' if you know what I mean, even thought about sellin' it for a little bit . Don't worry if I do I will give you first crack at it .

Anyway, Leif if you need any pics before put the covering on PM me and I will get you what you need.

Happy flying all
Chip
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:24 AM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,178 Posts
I started one of these in 88 but it was cruched right before the covering, (boxes in the garage fell on top of it) I sure would like to build another. Does anyone have a set of plans to sell or copy?

Bill
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
I had a buddy who fully sheeted the wing instead of the open structure/cap strips construction. It was alot stiffer and seemed to fly faster; at least you could stress the wing in maneuvers much more. Something to consider for those that are building a new one.

Brian: Yes, Jack Caldwell's AR-1 is indeed the Freedom.

Doubletap
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:02 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors
I started one of these in 88 but it was cruched right before the covering, (boxes in the garage fell on top of it) I sure would like to build another. Does anyone have a set of plans to sell or copy?

Bill

I think that the plans are still available through RC Modeler magazine plans service. Do a seach of the internet for RCM magazine.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,839 Posts
A question for sixty9mustang-
Is the elevator pull for up, with the incidence pin in front of the pivot???
Everything I've read says that a setup like that is a recipe for flutter, and the pivot should be forward, with the bellcrank trailing behind it.

Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target