HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:53 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,604 Posts
Discussion
What is the preferred Video Goggles?

What is a recommended choice for video goggles (new or used)? What I mean is in terms of price, good viewing angle and resolution. I've read a few reports but am lost in terms of determining what is actually recommended.

Also I was planning to record my video on my Samsung SC-X210L (SD camcord), but will I get better video results connecting my A/V RX to a USB capture card then to my laptop?

Thanks for your time to all who can help me with my questions!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:42 AM
to fly or not to not fly
Hua Hin, Thailand
Joined Aug 2005
644 Posts
Yo! I got 2nd post in the new forum!

I know VRFlyer has opinions on this and just got a new pair, Eyetops suck, and I recently posted on some sweet-looking new ones for $350. I'll post the link again if I can.

EDIT: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=256
planebane is offline Find More Posts by planebane
Last edited by planebane; Dec 27, 2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 03:52 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,604 Posts
Feels great to be one of the first ones to post in our new "play room"! Hey thanks "planebane" for the info, I didn't know of VRFlyer's results ontil you mentioned it! I'll check out your link and thanks again!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:00 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebane

Eyetops suck,
I second that, trying to fly by video only through one eye really sucks. Immagine people listening to thier I-Pods with just one ear peice... They had that back in the 50's, and no one liked it.

Two ears stero changes the whole experience, and now everyone wants an I-Pod. Video goggles with both eyes makes it feel like you are inside the plane, it makes it WAY better than just watching a small screen by your radio or just watching through one eye
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
I must add one comment on the Eyetops, for FPV flying, I agree, they are completely useless.
For framing shots for AP work, they are ideal however (even though the build quality... well.. it sucks

Hey, what am I saying, this is a FPV forum, who cares about AP work
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Dec 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
Yahoo! My first post in the new forum, I will be here every day now
I received the new goggles today and they work very well, I will prepare a completed description of the new headset tonight.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:28 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
This is a new model of headset, the I-Vision 922. This headset is a lot smaller than the I-Glasses (first series) that I use presently for video-piloting. The new headset look very good, with a glossy red paint for the headset and the control box. This headset will certainly catch attention of everyone around…

When I opened the box, I was surprise by all the cables and accessories that come with the headset. All cables are high quality, small and very flexible. The headset can be plug in a variety of components, you choose the right cables and the control box will automatically adjust itself.
Here the specification from the manufacturer:

Display Size: 48 inches, 2m away
Pixels: 640 x 480 (920k pixels), full colour
View angle: 24 degrees (I learn later it's 32 or 34deg)
Video Input: NTSC / PAL format (automatic selection)
Sound function: double channel stereo
Adjustable functions: Volume, Nose Support
Power Input: 5V DC
Power Consumption: 0.6W

EDIT FEBRUARY:THE PRICE IS REDUCE TO $345

Included In The Box:
Control box with built-in lithium battery, AC adapter, USB recharge cable, in-car recharge cable, signal cables
Last edited by VRflyer; Feb 26, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
And now my impression about the picture:
Wow awesome, bigger and better than expected. I thought with 24 deg of field of view, it should be very small, but it’s not, the picture is bigger than my I-Glasses headset! Also it’s much brighter, but still not enough to be use directly outside, today it was cloudy, I was able to see the picture very well, but with sun, I will put a hat and something around the hat to block the sun. Perhaps it exist an accessories for the headset, an eyecup, I will have news about it later this week. Anyway it will not be a problem for me, I’m use with a lot dimmer picture with my present headset.
The LCD must be “power on” for two minutes for best result. If I compare the picture with my very good 55inc. TV, The colour of the headset are very similar to my TV, tint are exact, more brightness, and less contrast in the headset.
If I stand at 8 feet from the 55inc. TV screen, the size of the headset picture match the size of the TV picture, this is very big for me. The difference in the picture size when I wear my I-Glasses and the I-Vision headset is evident, the I-Vision is bigger, no doubt. But it’s still not the perfection, evidently, a 180 deg field of view will be a dream… but presently, it will work very well. Also the sailor told me the I-Vision picture appear bigger that the present model he sell:
http://www.futurehobbies.com/items_detail.asp?item=82
In the spec the 28deg vision of the old headset should appear bigger than the 24 deg of the I-Vision, but it’s not the case. So for me the spec. will mean nothing in the future.
The resolution of the picture is very good too, I can see tiny detail, and the writing is easily readable on screen. Pixels are very hard to see.
Both eyes must be well aligning with the lens to see clearly, if not, the corner will appear darker.
Last edited by VRflyer; Dec 27, 2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:31 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
The headset is very light and is very comfortable to wear. It has no strap behind to hold it in place when rapid movement occur, it don’t need it, it hold firmly in place due to is lightweight.
The connector is small and located under the headset. Cable is light so it does not pull too much on the headset but I would prefer if the cables were plug near the ears and go in my back. The headset can be adjusted, a 10 deg tilt movement allow a good position of the picture for better viewing, no other adjustment possible. It’s possible to wear prescription glasses with it as per manufacturer suggestion. To be confirm.
Two earphones are integrated with the headset, they can be removed from their places and use like ordinary earphones.

The control box is very small and light. It houses a lithium battery and powers the goggles for 2.5 hours. Slider switch for powering the unit on the right side. Two buttons for volume on the front. No adjustments possible for colour, tint, brightness and contrast. That is the only point I don’t like… but you know, nothing should be perfect
A metal clip on the back so the control box can hold on the pant very strongly. One led for power and one red/green led for charging. One connector on the bottom where to plug any of the accessories cables. And one connector on the left side for recharging. You can also recharge it with the 12V car adapter, or the USB cable, all come with the goggles. Also others cables to plug anything you want

Overall, this product inspires quality, and it work like quality unit. I recommend it without hesitation.

Edit: I explain how I made a sunshade here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622190

VRflyer
Last edited by VRflyer; Jan 18, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
riosouza
Joined Sep 2006
70 Posts
The glasses look nice.
Keep us posted.
riosouza is offline Find More Posts by riosouza
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,803 Posts
It's great to know that these work as well as the specification suggests! Where can I get a pair and how much $?
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:33 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
It's great to know that these work as well as the specification suggests! Where can I get a pair and how much $?
I forget to say it... Future Hobbies
http://www.futurehobbies.com/products.asp
The picture and description of the headset is not available presently. They will add it this week. You can send an e-mail to them if you are interested for reservation. Probably the first batch they ordered is small. I think the price will be $365.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:37 PM
to fly or not to not fly
Hua Hin, Thailand
Joined Aug 2005
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
They are also available from this Aussie shop for US$350, although the shipping is $45.

http://www.22moo.com.au/i-vision%20922.htm

They carry other models including ones VRFlyer mentioned before:

http://www.22moo.com.au/products.htm

Anyone want to try this model, called the "Argo" - looks even better than the one VRFlyer reviewed:

http://www.22moo.com.au/argo+pc.htm

Apparently there are more Argo models coming out soon as well.
planebane is offline Find More Posts by planebane
Last edited by planebane; Dec 27, 2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:56 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
In the spec the 28deg vision of the old headset should appear bigger than the 24 deg of the I-Vision, but itís not the case. So for me the spec. will mean nothing in the future.
I guess it's again a question of horizontal or diagonal measurement... the new ones might be horizontal while the old ones are specified diagonal...

Other than this, are brightness / contrast / colors good, as there are no adjustments?
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,943 Posts
I don't think because it's 24 deg diagonal in the spec. of the I-Vision922.
Color, tint brightness very good and well adjusted.