Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:46 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
Discussion
fiberglass vs. iron on covering

i posted in the electric planes forum and havent got any responses yet. this might be a better place for my question. i have a HOB p51 kit that is mostly framed now. i see that the fuse and tail feathers are sheeted. i originally planned to use monokote throughout but now am thinking about glassing the fuse and tail. can fiberglass be done lighter than monokote? i have added flaps and retracts to this .20 size kit so i am looking to save some weight. i have plenty of experience with scratch building, glass, covering., ect. ...but i have never really considered the weight difference between fiberglass and monokote. what do you think?
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,284 Posts
On a weight only basis, I don't think that glassing would ever compare favorably with an iron on film. If you want more strength, though, then glass might help. If you want a nice glossy finish, with light weight, then film wins in my opinion.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:02 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,099 Posts
And don't forget the wrinkles when using moneycote.

Dope and silkspan will produce a lighter, better finish. It will take more time though, a good snow bound winter project.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:42 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
...and of course, if you want to make a scale plane look closer to the real thing, then glass/paint will win hands down with iron on covering not even in the ball park.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 30, 2006, 04:30 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
I've done glass/paint and iron on coverings.

I tend to glass and paint sheeted parts. BUT doing so, adds weight.

If you are trying to keep things light, use iron on coverings. Yes you can iron on over sheeted fuses, it takes some work to get it wrinkle free. Pulling and stretching and pin prick holes (to let the air out). It can be done. Over time they will wrinkle, but just re-touch with an iron.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:04 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
here is a link to the build in question
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613373
i do have alot of experience with doing iron on covering on sheeted areas as well as framed areas. i will be glassing the wing joint and retract wheel wells in the wing and it got me thinking about glassing the entire fuse but weight will be an issue. probably just stick with monokote.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Dec 31, 2006, 07:44 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
You're on the right track. Glass the weak points for strength and stay with iron on covering for overall.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz