HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:57 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
Discussion
Confused, Annoyed & Confused Again

Lets get straight to the point. Beautiful day and head over to the park with my furious 3D biplane. I check everything like in every flight, make sure trimming looks right, make sure surfaces move correctly, motor works fine and make sure there are no glitches or other abnormalities. I take off vertically and the prop comes right off. The plane spirals to the ground but I give it up elevator as it is about to hit so all the forces are sent to the bending of the landing gear. So my rubberband sailed away. I went to make sure everything else was fine but my ailerons were not responding at all. The other servos worked fine. Then as I kept on testing all surfaces started glitching until they completely went to one position (not neutral) then no response after that. Remote had battery and the lipo had just been charged and was fine. After that unpluged the batt and replugged it back in. The elevator and rudder sora worked but aileron not at all. Went unplugged and touch aileron servo and it felt like moving a dead servo, it was really hard to move even with my hands. Now this is a micro servo and when unpluged they easily moved. Not this time. Servo is fairly new but I just can't understand anything of what is going on. All radio equipment is inside the plane and is inacsesible unless I proceed with a surgical procedure. I am just lost. If anyone can help me pls let me know I want my plane back flying. I have been flying this one for a bit now and still remains in great shape I am just confused
scadavid2000 is offline Find More Posts by scadavid2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:23 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,205 Posts
Sounds like the aileron servo has burnt out? Can you move it at all? Might be worth dismantling it to see..... If something has shorted out inside it then it's quite possible it was sucking all the power from your receiver (dead short across the power rail) and causing your other servos to go haywire too ...
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:09 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
That really stinks. To dismount the servo I am going to cut open the botttom of the plane to get to access to the receiver so I can unplug the aileron servo. Then I need to open up the main wing by cutting it as well to get the servo out. But I guess I have to do it in order to get back in flight.

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
As you can see it is going to be a hard and strenous task. The main problem is taking everything apart and gluing again in different places because as of now everything is glued together really well.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:23 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,205 Posts
Yikes!

If you can feel that the aileron servo just isn't budging you could just chop the lead close to the servo (DISCONNECT the flight pack first!!), remove the servo and solder a new one in place .... is the servo itself is easily accessible?

David
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:23 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
The servo is truly not accessible at all. On top of that I do not want to cut and solder another servo I'm gonna have to do some careful cutting it is going to be a pain but I will post pics of the procedure.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:24 PM
Team $CRILLA_VILLA
sacramento, california
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
you said 'ele and rudder sorta work', if its not a bad servo check esc and reciever, i had the same experience with a plane and it ended up being the esc, servos were hard to move and would glitch/stop mid travel, esc kept cutting power to reciever,
hope it works out
bajajrider is offline Find More Posts by bajajrider
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
I went and cut open a piece of the airplane to gain access to the rx. I did some more testing to see if the other servos were glitching to see if perhaps the ESC could be messed up as well. As it turns out the rudder and elevetor moved just finte, no problems. The aileron servo is not hard to move anymore (don't know why) but it still does not move. Of all the servos on this plane the toughest one to replace is the aileron servo. I do have an extension on it so I am going to have to cut open the canopy where the extension linkage is and open as much as I need in order to get to the servo. If anyone else thinks there is a problem with the ESC let me know because now I'm nervous.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:01 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
After some more testing I had manually placed the servo to neutral. One of the times I was testing as soon as I plugged in the battery the servo moved all the way to one side. Would a burnt ou servo even move? I then went and plugged the aileron servo into different ports on the receiver but no response. Everything else works fine for the exception of the servo. Why would it even move though? this problem just gets more and more annoying. I'm going to have to open up the plane anyways cause it still not working

By the way here's some pics so far:
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
Surgey Complete.

Hogster you were right. I removed the servo after cutting some foam away. The sero was in fact hard to move by hand. Opened it and the motor kinda worked at times only if I pushed it a little. On the bottom (its on pic but might b too hard to see_ of the servo I can see one of the pieces that is burnt so that's where it failed. Say people using GWS servos. Do they fail often? I've had blue arrow, and JR servos for over four five, six years and they work perfectly. The GWS servo I bought not less than a year ago. Kinda of a bummer. It completely messed me up aside from the huge amount of work I had to do!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:45 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,205 Posts
Sounds like the servo's definitely a gonna. Just wondering whether it's being put under too much stress ..... it seems all four ailerons are being driven by that one tiny servo? (!!) Perhaps it's worth putting a more powerful one in its place?

David
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
Parkflyer Maniac
Atlanta
Joined May 2004
827 Posts
Thought of that as well and I agree I am going to have to. First I'm gonna need to order it and everything so this plane is not going to be restored anytime soon. I'll b working on other projects. Thanks for all the help!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:11 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,205 Posts
Pleasure, mate