HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:51 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Help!
How Do You Make A Plane With Pink Foam!

i bought one of those giant pink boards that are about 1 inch thick.(because they didn't have blue foam) , at Homedepot . Has anyone ever made a plane with this material. if anyone has ,can you help me.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,273 Posts
Built this plane out of 1/2" pink foam(below)48"W.Span. Original plans was for the 1/4" blue FFF.And was supose to be 3D. This one you just speed around.
When you go up in thickness, weight goes up because you have to use heavier servos,motors and battery's. When I was done it weighed over 3 pounds. Using a Bm2915-5d motor & 3S 4000mah Lipo battery, full size servo for the elevator because the small servo could not take it. The plane would flutter up and down because servo was weak. I was real lucky not to strip the servo gears. Forgot to mention make sure you reinforce the front mount real well. At the first flight the thrust and torque pulled the motor and mount right off. Got a good laugh at the field from others seeing the motor 20 feet ahead of the plane. Luckily it was only a foot off the ground when it left the plane.

Picture below shows BP-21 motor on it. Then realized I needed mooooore power. That's why I went with the BM2915-5. It was suppose to be the Wye wind and ended up with Delta wind. That is why it is not 3D.

http://www.shay-rc.com/mygallery.php...sid=313&page=4
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:17 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
the plane looks nice, i'll try to build a delta wing .But how do make an airfoil with thick foam?
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:45 AM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Hey there,

I have built several but I used the pink fan fold foam that is 1/4 inch in thickness or less if you search thru all the bundles. We don't have blue fff but only pink. So I know this may not help now that you have the thicker foam but it's definately easier(weight wise that is) to stay low on weight. I just built a biplane that will come in under 6 oz with bbrushless, bateries and all.

So maybe next time have a buddy split the cost of a bundle of fff with you....much easier and lighter.

Hope that helps...at least a little.

Stephan
Stephan8 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan8
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:51 AM
John Cock...tos...ton
LaGrange, GA
Joined Oct 2006
117 Posts
Home Depot

Forgot to say that I also found it at HD. It was high on a storage shelf right above the thick pink foam. I had to ask them to pull the pallet down. In my little experience the pink fff work just as well. A guy on this forum built a 28 ft span electric plane out of the pink fff. Flew famtastic too.

Stephan
Stephan8 is offline Find More Posts by Stephan8
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:48 PM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,348 Posts
1" pink foam is very usable with the right tools. Airfoils are usually created with a hot wire bow and templates at each end. I cut out the center to create ribs and spars, with leading and trailing edges. A couple of balsa spars top and bottom completes the wing structure. Very little gluing or construction, everything is done with templates. There are a couple of books that you should read that deal with this very subject. Do a search in the "for sale" forum or the internet - "Building with Foam by Keith Sparks". The other book I saw was advertised at the back of a Flying Models magazine. The blue slab foam is available at Lowe's and the pink is at Home Depot. They both work equally well. My hot wire table can shave this stuff down to about 1/32 thick. Works good for sheeting the small 6 oz. planes. There are many threads discussing hot wire tables, a search for this will also be enlightening.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:03 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
I have built a few things from the 1/2" , 3/4" and 1" pink foam. But all of them have been for glow engins. Like these...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture076.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/100_0721.jpg

Russ
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Start by getting help from the master.

What is the difference between pink and blue foam, since I've never used either?

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:27 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Start with a big chunk of foam and then cut away anything that don't look like an airplane, works with duck decoys.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:30 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Hi Planelover93.

I'm going to assume that the pink foam you have is the rigid kind used for house insulation. KenST is quite correct that you can easily make planes from it. Although a hot wire cutter is a quick and slick way of forming airfoils and other plane parts, it's not a necessity. Both the pink and blue foam can be worked with regular power or hand tools.

Use a '3view' to get you the shapes and relative size of each component. Print them out (a couple of copies) at the size you want your plane, glue them to the foam and start cutting. Make your control surfaces about 10% bigger than that shown on the 3view. 3Views can be found on the web.

Fuselages can be roughed out using a bandsaw or sabresaw, or by hand with a coping saw, a hack saw blade or a sharp knife. Pink foam sands very quickly with an orbital sander or by hand. Just sand gently or it will tear out pieces.

Airfoils can be roughed out with a coping saw or a hack saw, then sanded to the final shape. Foam wings generally require some form of reinforcement using carbon or bamboo spars. Fibre packing tape will do the job on thicker wings or lighter planes.

A covering of clear packing tape will add a ton of strength without a lot of weight. This is especially true for wings.

Working foam using these methods will make a fair mess of 'sawdust' that clings to everything with static electricity, so work outside, or with a vacuum cleaner nearby.

Although I use a hot wire cutter for my wings, I form my fuselages this way from 2" pink or blue.

GIAS
Glu it again Sam is offline Find More Posts by Glu it again Sam
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
Perpetual Hobbiest
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
practice "ba dum dum ching" (drum roll)
carlosponti is offline Find More Posts by carlosponti
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:45 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosponti
practice "ba dum dum ching" (drum roll)
....and then put in a loud "OOOOOH!!" afterwards, like the Wolfman.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Here's one example, using thick blue foam, but the exercise will be the same no matter the foam:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366658

This model doesn't use airfoiled wings - I hope to have a post up on that topic soon...+
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:43 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I've used the blue foam boards before, for fuselages (1-inch and 2-inch). Cut/carve to shape with a hacksaw blade and various knife baldes. Smoothed by sanding with 220 grit paper. Currently don't have any to use, but keeping my eyes open...
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn