HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2006, 06:42 PM
Thats my blast furnace
Royal Oak, MI
Joined Sep 2004
16 Posts
Question
Santa brought me a GWS Dragonfly....now what do I do?

So, Santa (my sister) got me a GWS 300 Dragonfly for Xmas. It does not have the GWS 3 in 1 controler or Tx. From what I have been reading, I think I am thankful for that.

And now on to some queries.....

First I want to go with a brushless main motor from the start, I have a Himax 2015-4100. I have read that this is a good choice. Does anyone know what gear should be installed on the motor, ie tooth count, pitch, brand name?

Also I have learned that the GWS controler can still be used with a brushless controler, via a wye conector. It is a good idea to try the GWS board, or should I start off with a HH gyro from the start? From what I have read about 75% of you think the GWS 3in1 is a POS. Have they improved?

Any other suggestions would be helpful......and I have already heard 'return it and get a honeybee' twice.

Thanks
Chuck
machmanchuck is offline Find More Posts by machmanchuck
Last edited by machmanchuck; Dec 25, 2006 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:21 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,565 Posts
It's best to run the DF stock. It is happy with 1400-1500rpm head speed. A brushless is just overkill and will be under-utilized. With the DF, you really do not need anything more.

The GWS PHA 300 is great. Provided you use the recommended 7.4v lipo and 10T stock motor. We used an ESky 3-in-1 and the tail didn't work right. The Proportion range didn't match the throttle curve.

I've used the GWS Pico+ servos. They are quite durable but are reversed. Make sure you have servo reverse switch on your tx.

If you will run separates, you will need a heli radio with revo mix where eCCPM can be turned off. It must have servo reversing switches. Then an esc for the main and an esc for the tail. Then you will need a gyro.

My recommendation:

An ESky or Eflite Tx
Esky CP2 or Eflite Blade receiver
GWS PHA300 3-in-1
7.4v 1320mah or below lipo
ESky or EFlite 8g servos
Stock main and tail motors.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Last edited by Gino CP; Dec 25, 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:49 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machmanchuck

Any other suggestions would be helpful......and I have already heard 'return it and get a honeybee' twice.

Thanks
Chuck
Yep! Nice thought on your sisters behalf though I told my fam not to buy me rc stuff, but that cash is always appreciated
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:12 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,565 Posts
That or a hobby shop gift certificate hehe.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:17 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
sounds like it would be easier to return it and get a rtf heli...But just my opinion...Right now you got your hands full trying to build this heli, you'll spend a few hundred, getting a gyro, motor, esc, servos, reciever and tx...For that price you could get a RTF HB King or CP Pro, or something.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:13 AM
Thats my blast furnace
Royal Oak, MI
Joined Sep 2004
16 Posts
Well I have all the necessary radio equip, servos, etc. I just need a gyro or 3 in 1, but from what I have heard so far, the GWS 3 in 1 isnt so bad?
machmanchuck is offline Find More Posts by machmanchuck
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machmanchuck
Well I have all the necessary radio equip, servos, etc. I just need a gyro or 3 in 1, but from what I have heard so far, the GWS 3 in 1 isnt so bad?
see pm
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini