HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:16 AM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I installed pitch and roll gyros in the Wild Hawk I am building. Tomorrow I hope to put it all together and paint it.
Good luck, you should have some fun tweeking on that.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk
Good luck, you should have some fun tweeking on that.
I have done it before on other planes. It works great. I could literally fly a 18 ounce foamy in 20 mph winds and fly it into the head wind, lay the radio on the ground and it would fly straight and level. Pretty friggin' amazing. It won't defy the effects of wind gusts but it sure as heck makes it easier to fly and expands the number of flyable days. I built this for a down looking video camera mounted in the enlarged cargo bay. Steady video is easier on the viewer than unsteady video.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I have done it before on other planes. It works great. I could literally fly a 18 ounce foamy in 20 mph winds and fly it into the head wind, lay the radio on the ground and it would fly straight and level. Pretty friggin' amazing. It won't defy the effects of wind gusts but it sure as heck makes it easier to fly and expands the number of flyable days. I built this for a down looking video camera mounted in the enlarged cargo bay. Steady video is easier on the viewer than unsteady video.
That's what my buddy needs for his P-51 and J-3 Cub planes. They're both very hard to fly. Neither of us has had any kind of success getting them launched. But a lot of that has to do with where we launch our airplanes. What we need to is take off from a solid surface instead of a rough grassy area.

The P-51 takes off then just rolls over on its left side. We need to put a horizontal stabalizer on that one. The J-Cub? I dunno.
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Forgot to mention. I fly my Hawk in some pretty windy weather with no problems. I'm comfortable on a windy day where Tom isn't. But I wouldn't want to try to fly his P-51 or J-3 in that kind of weather. Even Dave Powers has a hard time controlling the P-51. It tends to glitch suddenly. He don't know why. Probably crummy radio that comes with it. It's probably why it tends to roll over after lift off cause it suddenly rolls over to the right and lands nose 1st.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:38 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
3D flying

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone here flown their hawk and made it hover? I know it won't stock. I just bought a Radian and out of the box it will hover easily. I've never done that before and hate to bang up my hawk trying something new. (make that, stupid)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer
Just out of curiosity. Has anyone here flown their hawk and made it hover? I know it won't stock. I just bought a Radian and out of the box it will hover easily. I've never done that before and hate to bang up my hawk trying something new. (make that, stupid)
Hmm, that would be a trick. With very little prop wash over the control surfaces (wing, rudder and elevator) that would be hard to do.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:13 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Not to mention the off-centerline thrust.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Hooo-hooo-hooo boy, if Jurgen finds us all here, WE'RE DEAD!!!!!!

Whassup, Gene, Van, AJ, Oldguy???

I got my Super Lightning on Friday. Haven't done anything but look at it, but it should make a fun plane! I'm planning on using it as a back-up to my EZ.

Here are some mods I can already see making:

- brusheless motor, obviously
- put some rare-earth magnets in the wings to hold them together
- split the fuse and dremel out some of that foam in the fuselage to make room for the lipo and whatever else.
- rudder mod?
- double-check glue on spar covers
- longer spar?
- cf rod down tail boom
- reinforce tail
- extreme packing tape for most of the fuselage, and wings
- don't use the stock landing gear (front or tail)
- evaluate fuselage for FPV gear placement
- check to see if any of the EZ wings (stock or glider) will fit

Now, don't I sound like I really know what I'm doing??? ha ha. This is gonna be fun!!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:14 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
About Modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf

- brusheless motor, obviously
- put some rare-earth magnets in the wings to hold them together
- split the fuse and dremel out some of that foam in the fuselage to make room for the lipo and whatever else.
- rudder mod?
- double-check glue on spar covers
- longer spar?
- cf rod down tail boom
- reinforce tail
- extreme packing tape for most of the fuselage, and wings
- don't use the stock landing gear (front or tail)
- evaluate fuselage for FPV gear placement
- check to see if any of the EZ wings (stock or glider) will fit

Now, don't I sound like I really know what I'm doing??? ha ha. This is gonna be fun!!

Bob
Dang! I didn't know they made this version. I looked up Hobby People and they sell it as "The super lightening" PNP. So your kit probably doesn't have the 3 channel radio ours does.

You might want to add some ailerons to it for better flying control. Just make sure you have at least a 4 channel rig. 6 would be better but I'm doing just fine with a 27 MH 4 channel rig from RCS-Sport.com (no uppercase, BTW) I think you get a TX/RX 3 or 4 servos, ESC and 9V battery for $49.

I also upgraded to an Outrunner kit from Grayson Hobby. $39.95 for motor and 30 AMP ESC.

I think the best thing to do for your wings would be to use 4-6 MM CF flat stock. Much stronger and ridged than round.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Dang! I didn't know they made this version. I looked up Hobby People and they sell it as "The super lightening" PNP. So your kit probably doesn't have the 3 channel radio ours does.

You might want to add some ailerons to it for better flying control. Just make sure you have at least a 4 channel rig. 6 would be better but I'm doing just fine with a 27 MH 4 channel rig from RCS-Sport.com (no uppercase, BTW) I think you get a TX/RX 3 or 4 servos, ESC and 9V battery for $49.

I also upgraded to an Outrunner kit from Grayson Hobby. $39.95 for motor and 30 AMP ESC.

I think the best thing to do for your wings would be to use 4-6 MM CF flat stock. Much stronger and ridged than round.
Thanks, Russ! I've got a DX7, and I'm pretty sure I've got enough odds and ends laying around to get the WH in the air! But I have a lot to learn from you WH experts, so I'm all ears!!

Bob
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:51 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
HAHAHA you are so funny , and so right

Welcome to this side of RCG
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:52 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
It is exactly the same, except the branding. The colors are almost identical.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Have Stick, Will Fly
Massanutten, VA
Joined Jul 2009
115 Posts
Quote:

Whassup, Gene, Van, AJ, Oldguy???

I got my Super Lightning on Friday. Haven't done anything but look at it, but it should make a fun plane! I'm planning on using it as a back-up to my EZ.

- cf rod down tail boom
- reinforce tail

Bob
I would be careful about adding too much weight to the tail of a WH -- WHs are naturally tail heavy. Keep in mind that the tail is a long way off from the CG and only a little weight on the tail moves the CG quite a bit. Also, keep in mind that I have not read much about the tail or the tail boom of the WH breaking! I strengthened the boom and the horizontal stab for stiffening purposes only to remove it due to the added weight required in the nose to compensate. Remember, the more the plane weighs, the more power (battery) that will be required to move it.

However, after saying watch out, I would increase the rudder and the elevator with lightweight polystyrene foam (depron or equivalent). I think you will want the extra maneuverability. I used the bottom of meat trays from Wal-Mart and butt epoxied them to the existing rudder/elevator. I also added a small amount of packing tape to the elevator to secure the hinges ... or ... you can replace the hinges outright.

What motor/ESC/battery do you plan to use?

Gene
etabraham is offline Find More Posts by etabraham
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etabraham
I would be careful about adding too much weight to the tail of a WH -- WHs are naturally tail heavy. Keep in mind that the tail is a long way off from the CG and only a little weight on the tail moves the CG quite a bit. Also, keep in mind that I have not read much about the tail or the tail boom of the WH breaking! I strengthened the boom and the horizontal stab for stiffening purposes only to remove it due to the added weight required in the nose to compensate. Remember, the more the plane weighs, the more power (battery) that will be required to move it.

However, after saying watch out, I would increase the rudder and the elevator with lightweight polystyrene foam (depron or equivalent). I think you will want the extra maneuverability. I used the bottom of meat trays from Wal-Mart and butt epoxied them to the existing rudder/elevator. I also added a small amount of packing tape to the elevator to secure the hinges ... or ... you can replace the hinges outright.

What motor/ESC/battery do you plan to use?

Gene
Hey, Gene

I'd probably just use strapping tape to reinforce the underside of the horiz. stab, to keep it from flexing upward. Agreed, the CF rod would make it tail heavy. Extreme packing tape would probably be the better choice there too.

On the motor, I'm thinking of the Hobby City Turnigy 2835 brushless inrunner, 2200kv, with a turnigy 30-amp esc, and a 6x4 prop. This is pretty much the standard setup for Easy Stars these days, and should work pretty well on it's red-winged cousin!

Bob
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Does anyone know of a good way to split the fuselage open without damaging it? I've heard that they're glued together, and I've also heard that they're taped together.

Any way to open it up without problems?

Thanks