HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
wild hawk

I recently bought the Wild Hawk, $55.00 with a 20% HF discount coupon I had. I flew R/C for about 15 years, but haven't flown in about 12 years now I guess. Anyway I got the Hawk to use to reintroduce me to the sport. Without my prior experience, I probably would have crashed on the first flight. The plane was very sensitive to up and down, as if it were tail heavy. I taped a bolt ( 26 grams, approx. 1 oz.) as far forward inside the nose as I could. The second flight was much better, not nearly as sensitive. I only have 4 flights on the plane, as it has been fairly windy lately, and this plane is so light that it should not be flown in much of a wind. The Hawk will not take much of a crash w/o a lot of damage, but 5 minute epoxy works great to repair these foam planes. (Epoxy; not polyurethane resin. Polyurethane will dissolve foam.) The Hawk is a little hard to land as it glides so well. Need a long slow approach to do it. I don't use the wheels.
jerrya is offline Find More Posts by jerrya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Wild Hawk Flight and ultimate spiral...

Well, I had flown her a few times with out any serious problems. I live on the texas coast, so it's always windy here Anyway, went out to fly her and had a little mishap. I'm thinking that I ran out of range or got into some interference? She just rolled over, and became unresponsive. Good news is I got her back together and she looks good as new....well, a little more tape than new, but good enough. Hope to fly her this afternoon.

Here's a link to the vid....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...k+gopher&hl=en

if that doesn't work, do a google vid search for 'homesick gopher'
lestat210 is offline Find More Posts by lestat210
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
Mad Mad World
Halifax, ma.
Joined Jan 2007
123 Posts
Today was a good day because my easy star fell down out of the tree. I went down to the woods with a leaf blower and a bottle tied to a string as some tools to try to get it down, but when I got there it was laying on the ground.

I'm glad you got your wild hawk repaired like new, because it did not look good after the crash. If I ever crash my easy star beyond repair, or lose it due to it flying to far away in the woods and it goes down, I would still consider the wild hawk as another plane to purchase.

Jerrya $55.00 for a wild hawk is a great price, how long ago did you buy it?
madmax93 is offline Find More Posts by madmax93
Old Feb 01, 2007, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
Wild Hawk price

I bought the Hawk about a month ago for approx $55.00. The plane was on sale for $69.00 I believe, and I had a HF coupon for 20% off any single Item. I printed the coupon from a sight on the internet, a welding forum on the hobartwelders.com website, believe that it was the 1st forum on the list. I'm thinking of buying the HF cub also, its on sale now for $59 in a flier I recently got, but is $79 on their website. To get the $59.99 price you have to use the number 92906-1BDB. Catalog is winter '07. Don't know how long it will be at this price.
Last edited by jerrya; Feb 13, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2007, 11:04 AM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Center of Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAgeeJr
Can someone with a stock (everything in normal position,ready to fly) Wild Hawk, please find the stock CG and let us know?
I don't know the answer, but when you locate it, nail it down. Never fly without having your CG glued securely to your plane.
Test glide it. Throw it and see if it rises (needs nose weight). When it flies like a glider out of your hand, try it with power. When you find the "sweet spot", mark it.
Don't florget to glue it down so it doesn't slide around on you. I hate it when the CG falls out of the side window.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Feb 01, 2007, 03:52 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Did you know that if asked a HF manager at your local HF outlet will give you any item at the lowest sale price? I found this out after purchasing a glass bead cabinet and being told that if the item ever goes on sale for a lower price bring your sales slip back and get the difference in cash. The next semi large purchase got me asking if I could save the trip back and get it for the lowest price right there and then. He looked on the 'puter and said "last year we had it down to such and such so we'll sell it for that price." I'm lucky enough to live near one of them in Columbus Ohio.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Feb 06, 2007, 06:39 PM
The End
AREA-52, Oceanside Southern Killafornia
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
Got one on sale at the $70 price, thanks SpaddawgLV!

My 10 year old has flown it twice, I take off and land it so far.

Fun little plane I can fly at the park....

Now, what Lipos should I be putting in this plane?
THend is offline Find More Posts by THend
Old Mar 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
I just bought three of these planes yesterday and found this thread while doing a search.
I really like the radio layout, but can't seem to find any info on the manufacterer, as far as quality goes, and after watching the video a few posts back has me a little concerned. I am a total newbie at flying, so I guess I will hope for a windless day and go stand near the middle along the edge of the feild while flying to get a feel of tx range. I will try and route rx wire away from all batt. wires and velcro the rx down, I wonder if the rx flopped around when he did the loops? I have checked servo's for any clatter and radio range seams good from @ 1000 feet while its on the ground, but did not give it alot of throttle. Looking thru the endbell I can see caps. are installed so -
will do a search on limiting my chances of interference while in flight.
I did have to heat the nylon rudder control arm and bend it down to clear the hinge support at the flap.
It was binding and restricting the movement between the two.
Guess typical EStar tape mods for stress areas, and will not install the wheels, looks like a good smack would stress the fuse. at the slot.
Any thing else to look at-or out fore?
Littlestar is offline Find More Posts by Littlestar
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlestar
I just bought three of these planes yesterday and found this thread while doing a search.
I really like the radio layout, but can't seem to find any info on the manufacterer, as far as quality goes, and after watching the video a few posts back has me a little concerned. I am a total newbie at flying, so I guess I will hope for a windless day and go stand near the middle along the edge of the feild while flying to get a feel of tx range. I will try and route rx wire away from all batt. wires and velcro the rx down, I wonder if the rx flopped around when he did the loops? I have checked servo's for any clatter and radio range seams good from @ 1000 feet while its on the ground, but did not give it alot of throttle. Looking thru the endbell I can see caps. are installed so -
will do a search on limiting my chances of interference while in flight.
I did have to heat the nylon rudder control arm and bend it down to clear the hinge support at the flap.
It was binding and restricting the movement between the two.
Guess typical EStar tape mods for stress areas, and will not install the wheels, looks like a good smack would stress the fuse. at the slot.
Any thing else to look at-or out fore?
Not the same LS from GLP?
FNFAL is offline Find More Posts by FNFAL
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
What kind of flight time are you all getting?

The instructions say 20 to 30 minutes. The battery pack is quite large capacity-wise (1300 mah).

Just wondering if I should order a second battery.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
Not the same LS from GLP? Nope-

Gotta say the plane is kinda fast for this newbie. I have had only one chance to fly so far. I went to a double soccer field with baseball dia. at at two corners but it still was not enough room. I think my first flight was on a partial charged battery.
No mention of how long to charge in the manual, so downloaded the pdf off Harbor Freight and it instructs to charge 5 hrs?
At 2hrs I put my hand on the battery, it was on the warm-hot side so I took it off charge. it was in my plane for the first flight and I flew non stop heavy on and off throttle for 15 minutes with spare power left. It was me that needed the recharge.
I then installed my 2nd battery, this one had been charged for about six hrs, I forgot it was on the charger. Now bear in mind this is my 2nd time ever throwing the plane for flight, but As I throttled up, it sounded kinda different than the first throw. It screamed go, and it seemed to fly away much faster than the first time.
I was also having a much harder time controlling the plane as it was flying much faster for some reason. Maybe just a fully charged battery, maybe me, just used to the first flight, not sure. But I would think you would want a extra battery for the plane.
I order four extra batteries -7cell 1400 mah, that someone posted worked great in his EasyStar. And for the price, the shipping was the same as for one. I got them in Two days but have not used or charged them yet. LHs did not have the mini Tamiya plugs, so I am in the process of changing everything to Deans.
Heres the link on the Battery
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...76&pid=U872714
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
I flew it once yesterday-definitely tail heavy. I will add weight and try it again Sunday.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
flight time wild hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
What kind of flight time are you all getting?

The instructions say 20 to 30 minutes. The battery pack is quite large capacity-wise (1300 mah).

Just wondering if I should order a second battery.

Assume that you are talking about the wild hawk. I get about 12-14 minutes of flight time on mine with a fully charged battery, about 4 hours charge time on battery. No way will it fly 20-30 minutes in my experience. I had to add a 1 ounce weight as far forward as I could to balance mine.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
jerrya,

Thank you for the information. I will try one ounce as well and will pick up another battery.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:53 AM
Chesapeake Beach Md.
Joined Mar 2007
87 Posts
crash tested with almost flying colors

Got my 2nd flight in yesterday, four batteries worth, only crashed twice.
One my fault, third pack in, nose first 45 degrees, ending with a loud crack sound. Broke the CF rod.
2nd crash due to battery discharge 3 minutes into fifth pack, guess I did not charge correctly?
Perfect day, wind started out 0=10, ending 5-15. I'm hooked.
My CG measures 3in. from leading edge and seems to glide excellent.
with the nose filled with spray foam, and battery velcroed in, provides a solid nose, once taped with strapping tape. I ended up using the sytrofoam for a way to transport it in my car,