HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
I've attached a count-down timer to my transmitter. My plane will fly for 10 minutes with throttle management, so I set the timer for 8 minutes. This gives me 2 minutes to land before the motor quits.
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:21 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
10 minutes???
I fly for 20 every time and sometimes for 30!
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
With a Firebird Phantom?

It uses an 8.4 volt, 300 ma battery.
I think a 10 minute flight is pretty darn good for that small battery.

I really meant for my post to be an example of how you can avoid running your battery all the to motor cut off so you can land under power.
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:01 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
I've used timers in the past but I'm not disciplined enough to do it consistently, even though I wear a wristwatch with a stopwatch function. On my Wild Hawk, I usually just fly until I notice a drop in climbing power and then bring it down. If you're not comfortable with landing, I would definitely recommend a timer so you can start your landing approach when you for sure have at least a couple minutes left so you have the luxury of waiving off a couple landings if you need to. It takes some of the pressure off if you know you don't have to bring it in on the first pass.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
With a Firebird Phantom?

It uses an 8.4 volt, 300 ma battery.
I think a 10 minute flight is pretty darn good for that small battery.

I really meant for my post to be an example of how you can avoid running your battery all the to motor cut off so you can land under power.

No, sorry. I meant I fly the WH for that time.
Yes, I too use a timer of sorts. I set a countdown timer on my watch for all my planes. It's a good way to be sure of yourself. On calm days though I run my WH up high and hit LVC. It glides so well, that I sometimes get lots of gliding in before having to land. I also usually fly in a very large field and belly land on grass.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Outside loop a success!!!

I did it! Last evening I was flying in about 5 mph breeze. I did a few inside loops and then some inverted flying. After 1 unsuccessful attempt, I did 3/4 inside loop and then pushed the elevator all the way down. Into the breeze, it brought it right on over just as if I had done it 100 times before. It should be noted that I had a fair amount of speed when I did it and my elevator is set for maximum throw too. The more I fly the WH, the more I like it.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Raidentech has these in stock for $69
http://www.raidentech.com/rtfwiha54el3.html
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Still flying the Wild Hawk and having fun! Anyone elsae?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
I still enjoy flying mine. Everything is stock except the receiver, which I switched out so don't have to worry about range. But every time I fly, it still amazes me that the plane came ready to fly for $60 bucks.

My daughter flew the Wild Hawk last week on a buddy box and loved it. It's such a stable flier that I only had to bail her out a few times. She also did a couple pretty smooth landings on her own. I let her fly my Zagi, too, but she said she liked the Wild Hawk better. Go figure.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:28 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
460 Posts
I'm doing more loops and learning inverted flight. It's a blast. Had a very interesting experience...

CONNECTORS!

The range always seemed poor with the stock gear, so I have a JR transmitter and a Berg receiver installed... not much different. I've probably got at least a couple dozen flights on it. I'd flown it, landed it, changed out batteries and when I turned it on, the servos became jittery with the transmitter a foot away. After some other problems and a crash landing, I started looking into it more. Eventually, I put the other battery in and the jitters were gone. I noticed then that the connector was harder to connect than normal.

Long story short, I used some Caig Labs "blue" contact cleaner and the glitches and range seem to be much better. I just had it out with a camera attached and flew it out to the limit of what I could see and it was fine. I'm wondering if the stock radio wouldn't work that well if the battery contacts weren't so cheap. They might be fine for a few connection cycles with lower currents, but there are better connectors. I plan to change them out.

MOTORS!

On another note... has anyone changed out the motor/prop? I've been thinking about putting a brushless inrunner into it and keeping the prop in the 5-6 inch range. Maybe a Feigao?? Any thoughts? I was hoping to get a little more thrust without having to buy a lipo charger just yet.

Happy Flying
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:39 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Well I flew my WH with a simple FPV set up for the time this morning!
Incredible experience.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Montana
Joined Jan 2002
77 Posts
I'm still flying mine. Typically I get flights between 20 and 30 minutes. I still have the stock control surfaces and use rudder at maximum throw and elevator at minimum throw. I can't really do inverted flight but other than that it's very effective.

My flying is less and less aimlessly wandering around the sky keeping from crashing, and more directed flight now. I frequently have excellent soft landings.

Jeremiah
jsenner is offline Find More Posts by jsenner
Old Jul 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark963
I'm doing more loops and learning inverted flight. It's a blast. Had a very interesting experience...

CONNECTORS!

The range always seemed poor with the stock gear, so I have a JR transmitter and a Berg receiver installed... not much different. I've probably got at least a couple dozen flights on it. I'd flown it, landed it, changed out batteries and when I turned it on, the servos became jittery with the transmitter a foot away. After some other problems and a crash landing, I started looking into it more. Eventually, I put the other battery in and the jitters were gone. I noticed then that the connector was harder to connect than normal.

Long story short, I used some Caig Labs "blue" contact cleaner and the glitches and range seem to be much better. I just had it out with a camera attached and flew it out to the limit of what I could see and it was fine. I'm wondering if the stock radio wouldn't work that well if the battery contacts weren't so cheap. They might be fine for a few connection cycles with lower currents, but there are better connectors. I plan to change them out.

MOTORS!

On another note... has anyone changed out the motor/prop? I've been thinking about putting a brushless inrunner into it and keeping the prop in the 5-6 inch range. Maybe a Feigao?? Any thoughts? I was hoping to get a little more thrust without having to buy a lipo charger just yet.

Happy Flying
Connectors:

I am grateful you brought this up. I too have noticed this "problem" in some of the WH we have (4 of them) at different times. I will replace all the battery and ESC connectors with Deans Ultra plugs.

BTW, in one that a friend left in his car for three days, the fuselage was so bowed, it looked like a banana. We were unable to "unbanana" it and gave up on it after about one hour, so John removed the radio and put it in a SFM SoarStar. Incredible results since I wasn't expecting much from that radio gear.

First and foremost, I was pleasantly impressed with the quality of the receiver and its servos. They look Futaba like, but I know they can't be. At any rate, it is amazing the quality and reliability of the merchandise that comes with the WH at such a low price.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Jul 23, 2007, 04:25 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Yes, replace all your connectors with Deans Ultra. They really are worth it. I've done it to all my planes, batts. and chargers.
BTW... here is a pic of my el-cheapo budget FPV rig:

Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
A few have asked about the camera I'm using. I can't really recommend it because the range is so limited, but for a small airspace it works okay. It comes from Radio Shack and is called the Microcam III. Here's the link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search