SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2006, 03:26 PM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Discussion
New Harbor Freight plane with radio set up for airplanes

Has anyone seen the harbor freight wild hawk, they have it on their website http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

I haven't seen it at the stores, but I downloaded the product manual and the transmitter that comes with it is set up properly for a three channel rc airplane. Eventhough it is 27mhz this is a vast improvement over the radio that comes with the harbor freight cub. Also the site doesn't list a price, but if its a $60 special I'm in.
Skysailor is offline Find More Posts by Skysailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:06 PM
Joined Dec 2006
188 Posts
They have it for 80 in the stores I am in, I do like the radio with it

Looks like a knock off of the Hobby Lobby easy star or whatever it is called. Except it has a 380 motor instead of a 400.
akdude47 is offline Find More Posts by akdude47
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
Actully, that bird is on sale right now until Jan 29, 2007, for $69.99.
And, yes, I agree its a big time knock-off of the Multiplex EasyStar, which I have and love, right down to the wing span of ~55in. The Easy Star is the best trainer I have seen, so this "Wild Hawk" would hopefully have similar traits. And for $70, I'd say it'd a great "get your feet wet" for beginners on a budget.
MBAgeeJr is offline Find More Posts by MBAgeeJr
Last edited by MBAgeeJr; Jan 12, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:51 PM
AMA # 731440-CD
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Wildhawk

I picked one up ( On sale out the door for $75.00 ) Flies very well much like that of the Easy star. Took out the 27mhz RX and put in a Hitec 555 72mhz. I found the 27mhz radio to be a little short on range and way to glitchie! With the 72 mhz one in it flies like a dream and thermals well. You can not beat it for the money!
SPADDAWGLV is offline Find More Posts by SPADDAWGLV
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
Olympia, WA
Joined May 2005
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPADDAWGLV
I picked one up ( On sale out the door for $75.00 ) Flies very well much like that of the Easy star. Took out the 27mhz RX and put in a Hitec 555 72mhz. I found the 27mhz radio to be a little short on range and way to glitchie! With the 72 mhz one in it flies like a dream and thermals well. You can not beat it for the money!

Do you have any weight and physical dimension information such as width of fuse, size of battery compartment, etc? Also, if you have or have seen an Easystar how do the foam density compare? Just wondering if this might be an candidate for retrofitting real RC electronics in to.

Thanks

Danny
DannyR is offline Find More Posts by DannyR
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
siampete
Olympia, WA
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
Wild Hawk

Quote:
Did you fly your Wild Hawk stock? Any mods? Different prop? Did you just use the double-sided tape to attach the tail or did you glue it?
siampete is offline Find More Posts by siampete
Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
siampete
Olympia, WA
Joined Jan 2007
2 Posts
DannyR,
I live in Olympia too. Actually towards Hawk's Prairie. I have bought a Wild Hawk but have yet to fly it. I have not flown in many years.Where do you fly? I have let my AMA membership lapse.
As for dimensions, I will measure everything after while, But the battery compartment is a perfect snug fit for the 8.4 Volt 1300 ma pack that comes with it. The batteries are AA and it is a 4 and 3 hump pack. Feel free to E-Mail me.
Thanks,
Robert
siampete is offline Find More Posts by siampete
Old Jan 20, 2007, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
It seems that the tail feather are thinner and more delicate than the EasyStar's. When moving elevator, the entire tail tries to twist. I made some mods with some thin carbon fiber flat rod that I had left over from other projects. I basically cut the elevator and rudder off, trimmed and sanded the mating edges, and glued cf rod to leading edge of the rudder and the elevator, then reattached with hinge tape (Blenderm). I took off both sets of landing gear/wire then ran a strip of packing tape down the belly, on the leading edge of the main wing and the horizontal stab. Also some packaging tape on the bottom outer part of the main wings (part that can touch ground). I also added a thicker flat cf rod to bottom of the fuselage to keep fuse from twisting in the back. I also barrel taped (with reinforced tape) the motor pod. I ended up have to add some weight in the tip of the plane to get balance close to where my EasyStar is. Does anyone know what the CG is????
Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:23 AM
My backpack's got jets...
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
Quote:
If you're not planning on doing much with that 27mhz radio system that came stock in the plane, I sure wouldn't mind putting 'er to some use !!!!
& That goes for all of ya's, I would lov to put these discarded tronix to goo use!! Just PM me or simply just lemme' know!!! Thanks

-(v(aTT-
Corbin_Dallas is offline Find More Posts by Corbin_Dallas
Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:28 PM
Joined Jun 2006
169 Posts
[QUOTE=siampete]DannyR,
I live in Olympia too. Actually towards Hawk's Prairie. I have bought a Wild Hawk but have yet to fly it. I have not flown in many years.Where do you fly? I have let my AMA membership lapse.

I started flying on Fort Lewis Reservation. I'm sure there is somewere on your side of the rez to fly. I'm on the Spanaway/Graham side.
JRickey is offline Find More Posts by JRickey
Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
Snoopy's Wingman
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Dec 2004
660 Posts
Lets see some video from those flying em.
Aceshigh84 is offline Find More Posts by Aceshigh84
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:48 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Hello all! Well, my dad went and picked up one of these little "wild hawks', and I tell ya, I liked it. From other posts I've read, the foam might be a little suspect, but heck for $75 out the door, you can't beat it. So anyway, we charge the pack, put her together, and head to the airfield. My dad, impatient as he is, didn't want to wait for hand launch trim checks or CG checks, and he just launches her. She flew like a dream!! And he'd NEVER flown an airplane before! EVER!! AND it was a little windy. (I told ya he was impatient!) Landing was a little funky, but she came through okay. I tried, and like my dad, hadn't flown fixed wing yet, and no problems. Very predictable, and smooth. DANG, was that fun! My wife saw how much I liked it and picked one up for me for an early Valentines present (that's a reminder for some of yall forgetful kind ) Waiting for some good weather, and I'm gonna see how she does. Any idea on the CG yet?
Thanks for bearing with me on the long post, but I'm still a little excited!!

Mike
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory....
lestat210 is offline Find More Posts by lestat210
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
Normal standards is to have a plane's CG 1/3 of the cord, back from leading edge of the wing, but, my EasyStar CG is about 75-78mm back from leading edge, which further back than 1/3 cord. By the standard, the CG for the Wild Hawk should be about 65mm from the leading edge of the wing. But it seemed like it was closer to the EasyStar's 75mm.

Can someone with a stock (everything in normal position,ready to fly) Wild Hawk, please find the stock CG and let us know?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:51 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
My dad and I checked his with everything in place (batt, canopy, landing gear, etc), and the CG was about 3.25" from LE. (82-83mm). Not saying this is where its supposed to be, but the instructions?? don't mention it at all. BTW, she flew pretty good like that, although the CG could prolly be moved forward some, as she was wanting to climb a little more than I liked personally at center sticks.
Have you flown yours yet mbageejr? And could you post some pics on the mods to your hawk; my dad and I are looking for some ways to 'stiffen' her up.

Thanks
lestat210 is offline Find More Posts by lestat210
Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
Mad Mad World
Halifax, ma.
Joined Jan 2007
123 Posts
I just checked harbor freight and the wild hawk is now 130.00. Is this plane worth spending that kind of money on it, or is the easy star a better value.

I had my first flight with an easy star and it ended up in a tree about 40ft. high. i am looking for a replacement but I don't really want to spend another 170.00 for it to end up in a tree again.
I never did get the easy star down.
madmax93 is offline Find More Posts by madmax93