HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:15 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,974 Posts
Discussion
Annual Christmas Carnage

Well it looks like the annual Christmas carnage has begun. Went to my local park this morning to get some flights in and there where three others there all flying different models purchased from the LHS or Wal-Mart. First one a little Firebird looking model that the dude proceeded to through in to the backstop of the ball field. I didn't realize how much foam was in that little model. Looked like feathers falling from a bird shot at close range with a 20 gage.

Second was a really nice looking glider type model from Hobby Lobby. The guy came over and asked a few question, but then set the model on the ground and off, up and down it came. Smoke'n hole in the ground. $100 bucks for a cheap 15 second thrill.

Third, a GWS P-51. Heavy little sucker and looks like he used a ton of 5 minute epoxy on it. All the surfaces out of alignment and he didn't bother to check the C/G. He was at the other end of the park and didn't bother to ask what frequency I was flying on. Thank goodness I was using my Spectrum DX-6. All I heard and saw was a green streak flying past me at about 25 feet and then it leaped 150 feet in the air. Did one heck of a nice stall turn and then buried itself near the pitchers mound. Not much left but at least he had a garbage bag to pick up all the trash.

I got five flights in on my Funtana X and had a blast watching others.

Merry Christmas everyone.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
'tis the season.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:50 PM
I forgot the transmitter!
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
Last year, there were two guys with firebird commanders. When I got to the park, it was "all new and shiney" and when I left, there was more duck tape then foam! I think the boom was even taped back on with gobs of duck tape. AHHHHHH. I can laugh though because I did not bring anything with me that day.

Merry Christmas
gguy is offline Find More Posts by gguy
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:58 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Well it helps boost the economy anyway.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:58 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
When I worked at a LHS we needed extra help at the replacement parts rack the first few days after Christmas. We used to sing Deck the Halls with Scads of Money as the repair parts flew out the door. Of course the Enviromental Protection Agency was unhappy. Those parts are not biodegradable.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,974 Posts
I kind of feel sorry for them most of the time. However, all they have to do is ask and I'd be happy to give the direction and or instruction. I do point them to this web site to ask questions and get answers that maybe I can't offer.

Most come out and chuck it and it's gone in seconds without regard to anyone else. Oh well we all had to learn somewhere sometime.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Dec 25, 2006, 06:42 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
A lot of the problem has to do with the way these things are marketed. The manufacturer takes liberties wit their description of the planes capabilities which is then re-inforced by the sales man who needs to feed a family. The result is a person with a crash waiting to happen in his hands. too bad but that's the way in a world of instant gratification.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Dec 25, 2006, 06:46 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
The other day a guy was buying a new FC. Never flew before, no idea of FMS and seemed to have no idea what he was doing. I gave him my phone number and told him if he had any questions, or just wanted me to check it out prior to his maiden, I'd be glad to have a look at it.

He never called. Most likely that plane is off to the dump by now.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:03 PM
Somerville, MA
Joined Aug 2002
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Well it helps boost the economy anyway.
With Wal-Mart and GWS models? Yeah, it boosts the economy alright... The Chinese economy!

Best,
Al.
alk509 is offline Find More Posts by alk509
Old Dec 25, 2006, 07:14 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk509
With Wal-Mart and GWS models? Yeah, it boosts the economy alright... The Chinese economy!

Best,
Al.
Also your local economy. The retailer makes a profit.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:07 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
I'm one of those LHS salesmen, but I don't feed the family with that income- it mostly goes right back to the store!
I see two common problems with people buying their first aircraft. One, they reject trainer aircraft because "they don't look like real planes", and buy a P-51 or an FW-190 or a Stryker. The ones that come back spend a fortune on spare parts. The rest just don't come back.
The second problem comes from the idea that they don't want a trainer, because they believe that somehow they'll become bored with it inside a week, and then have to spend another $200 for something else...That's why you see first-time heli pilots with T-REX's or Blade CP Pro's instead of Blade CX's or AXE EZ's. Most of them don't come back, either.
I try, I really do. But it's very difficult to tell someone, without sounding insulting to them, that they're biting off far more than they can chew, and that they're NOT going to grow bigger teeth through sheer willpower. Especially professionals (in ANY field) who aren't used to hearing "no" in any form from a lowly salesman. I usually don't mention my day job (network engineer). Perhaps I should.

And here's the part of the holidays I've grown to hate: an endless stream of customers, and an endless replay of the following scene:
1) Customer throws box on counter, with mild sounds of disgust. "This @#^$% won't work!" is repeated, several times.
2) Take the heli (it's always a heli, it seems) out of the box, check it over, put in batteries.
3) Hover heli in front of the counter for 90 seconds. Even with an "uncharged" flight battery, there's usually a couple minutes' worth of hover left.
4) Repack box. Watch customer leave, even madder than when they came in.

I don't see many of them again, either.

I'm always curious, but never ask, as to what they were planning to spend the refund money on. Probably the car they should have bought in the first place. Seasons' greetings, everyone.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad
Well it looks like the annual Christmas carnage has begun. Went to my local park this morning to get some flights in and there where three others there all flying different models purchased from the LHS or Wal-Mart. First one a little Firebird looking model that the dude proceeded to through in to the backstop of the ball field. I didn't realize how much foam was in that little model. Looked like feathers falling from a bird shot at close range with a 20 gage.

Second was a really nice looking glider type model from Hobby Lobby. The guy came over and asked a few question, but then set the model on the ground and off, up and down it came. Smoke'n hole in the ground. $100 bucks for a cheap 15 second thrill.

Third, a GWS P-51. Heavy little sucker and looks like he used a ton of 5 minute epoxy on it. All the surfaces out of alignment and he didn't bother to check the C/G. He was at the other end of the park and didn't bother to ask what frequency I was flying on. Thank goodness I was using my Spectrum DX-6. All I heard and saw was a green streak flying past me at about 25 feet and then it leaped 150 feet in the air. Did one heck of a nice stall turn and then buried itself near the pitchers mound. Not much left but at least he had a garbage bag to pick up all the trash.

I got five flights in on my Funtana X and had a blast watching others.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Thanks, that has to be one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. Your use of imagery is pure genious.

Ohhhh the Foamanity!
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:10 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
I'll admit it, I'm one of the newbies out there adding to the carnage with a newly received Christmas gift. My wife got me a "toy"-rated rc plane after hearing me complain that I can't afford to get an RC plane year after year.

First thing I do is fly it into a tree. Fine, no damage, I pick it up and walk into a farmer's field. (family owned - not tresspassing!)

I fly it up, over, turn back and crash into another tree. Okay, no real damage but a ding in the foam. Now I know the turning circle, right?

I walk further into the field and toss it back into the air. I get several good circles in, then crash into yet another tree. It bounces down the branches and comes to rest in reasonable condition. Minus the landing gear. Seems those were eaten by the tree. Not a big deal though, I haven't really been using those much anyway.

I've dinged it up pretty good at this point, ripped the thin foam rear stabilizer in half on a particularly rough grass landing and needed to tape them back together. I'm feeling good though, and despite being a 2-channel toy I'm certainly going to upgrade once I've figured out how to avoid trees.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:34 PM
ParkFlyer
Joined Nov 2005
754 Posts
lol, I remember when I had a firbord commander and there was a tree with no leavs. It ripped the plane up like a grinder and a homeless man helped my friends and my dad find the parts. He was very nice.
xFxLxYxExR is offline Find More Posts by xFxLxYxExR
Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:42 PM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
Lag - welcome to the hobby! And stay away from trees!

Check out the "Six Keys..." sticky in the Beginner Forum... lots of good info there!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay