SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:14 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
Discussion
Venom Night Ranger 3D Micro!!!

I walked into my LHS (Walt's Hobby in Syracuse, NY) on Wednesday to pick up some blades for my Blade CP Pro, and low and behold, they had seven little black boxes with the new Venom 3d Micro heli inside!!! I know it's christmas and all, but I just couldn't walk away from it. After talking to Walt, the owner of the shop, I was finished...I bought it and took it back to my office.
I pulled the tiny 3-cell lipo out and charged it with the venom charger and checked the screws, swash to servo level, and blade grips. The pack was done charging after about five minutes and I fired it up. It was a little touchy at first, and the tail seemed to be going it's own way, so I switched the number 12 dip switch to "ON" and adjusted the V2 knob fully clockwise, which is supposed to put the onboard gyro into heading lock mode.
This little guy has some serious potential...in the right hands! I spun it up and put it into idle-up mode (so much for breaking in the pack!) and pulled it up about 6 inches off the floor. Something isn't 100% right because it seemed slow to correct and I had a very hard time hovering it. I had alot of work to finish up before the holiday weekend, so I boxed it back up and will re-visit this on Tuesday, but I'm psyched.
Two things I noticed right off the bat:
1. It's got alot of power for such a tiny heli - in Idle-up mode, I would guesstimate that it's spinning around 2000 rpm...I will tach it next week.
2. The blades are VERY loose out of the box, and one had a large amount of tape on it. I will balance the blades and check tracking next week as well.

I will post more pics next week, but this thing is TINY!!!
mpoyneer is offline Find More Posts by mpoyneer
Last edited by mpoyneer; Dec 23, 2006 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:19 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I was looking at one of these myself at the hobby shop this morning ...looks interesting ...keep me posted on how it does for you ...Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:14 PM
Northern Virginia/Iraq/Afghanistan
Joined Dec 2003
12 Posts
unless I'm mistaken that would be a Walkera #52 with a shiny green canopy. There's several very extensive threads in here, but yes, it does seem to have a lot of potential.
cpugrud is offline Find More Posts by cpugrud
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:37 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,849 Posts
I picked up one of these as well as soon as I heard they were in. Price up here was 279.00 CND, what did you pay down south?
Only spooled it up and lifted it off a bit, very squirly but I imagine it's size has a lot to do with it. Don't forget to mention that it comes with an extra set of blades, lipo has a balance lead with the balancer included in the charger. Radio lets you change the throttle and pitch mix, has expo, and though archaic in its way of setting things, for that price it is a bonus getting those things. Seems pretty quality, but check your tail boom and see if it is loose, mine is, and don't know the best way to tighten it. I can see it getting worse with rudder usage, Venom, any solutions? It also seems a little tail heavy in stock setup. Will update as I get a chance to try it in a gym. Sure is a cute little bugger. Suggestions to Venom. Find a way to sink the transmitter antenae into the case. It is bulky. Manual wasn't bad, but some mistakes like telling you to put the battery in the wrong way when they ship with it installed with the leads to the front. Quality seems good except for the loose tail boom and a screw that you need to split the servos apart to reach, and that doesn't seem to help. Will see if it becomes a problem. May have to get creative proactivly.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Last edited by Shadrack; Dec 24, 2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:52 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
If the Venom is the same heli as the Walkera 52, its' pretty pricy considering one can get the Walkera for under US$200 - shipping included.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:01 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,849 Posts
But 200 US is about 230 CND, and does that include all of the same things the Venom does, balancer, adjustable radio, etc?
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Don't know, but check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519914
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
119 Posts
another big thing that walkera dosnt do that venom does is exellent costumer service. They are very friendly and willing to talk to you and help when you need it. I have 2 NRIIs and a NR3D these are my first helis and they have been great when i called and with Chris on the boards here it helps alot.
SCORP27 is offline Find More Posts by SCORP27
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:31 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpugrud
unless I'm mistaken that would be a Walkera #52 with a shiny green canopy. There's several very extensive threads in here, but yes, it does seem to have a lot of potential.
Do you have either the Walkera or the Venom?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 09:17 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
I will update this thread tomorrow, but after reading the comments regarding this heli and it's MUCH less expensive counterpart (walkera 52) I may be selling it to go to an ep100 or Mini-Zoom. More to follow...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:17 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
I'M NOT SELLING!!! I balanced it on lunch today by lifting on the flybar and it was significantly tail heavy. I added 2 pennies (yes, my 2 cents) to the underside of the canopy and it was better, but not perfect. I then unscrewed the landing gear (4 screws) and rotated the bottom chassis plate/battery tray 180 degrees to move the battery pack farther forward and the balance was close. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I flew it and it hovered pretty much on it's own...and trust me, I have a Trex (HDE), Blade CP Pro (microheli head) and have flown numerous fp heli's before. This little guy can be made stable, just take the time to go through the basics like leveling the swashplate, balancing nose to tail, and blade tracking. I only had a small amount of charge left from the initial charge, so I'm charging it now and will fly it before my lunch is over.
NOTE: I do not own a walkera 52, but if they are the same, that sounds like a much less expensive option initially.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:19 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
how much are they?
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:45 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
Mine was 289.00 plus 8.25% sales tax. I LOVE NEW YORK!!!
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:27 PM
Thank a US Soldier
Syracuse, NY
Joined Jul 2005
251 Posts
Okay, 4 minutes max maybe on stock battery. Not pleased, but I will try charging it with my triton or astro charger at home at .2 amps...this is a 200 mah 3 cell pack, so I'm hoping to see a difference.

Problems I see immediately...

1. Tailboom is weakened by the tiny screw they put in it to hold it in place. The boom's diameter is around .180" - .200" and then they put a screw in it to keep it in place in the frame. I landed semi hard, and viola...broken tailboom. I ca'd it back together as it wasn't completely broken and put it back in place. I added to supports to it using .060" dia. carbon rods from the skids up to the boom and just ca'd them in place. Pics to follow tomorrow when I remember to bring my camera.

2. Stock battery...I'm on my third cycle, and it's doesn't seem to have enough for a full flight of 4-6 minutes. 3 seems to be the max. I'll keep trying...

3. COG (Balancing): this thing is tail heavy out of the box. I flipped the skid mounting plate (part # VENF-7855; bottom piece) and reinstalled it so the square hole in the back end is closer to the front, which allows you to move the battery tray forward about 1/4". After doing that along with adding two pennies to the frame below the rx, it is still a little tail heavy, but flyable.

Planned Mods:
1. Shorten Tail boom: I'm going to it about 3/8"...I will let you all know how that works out tomorrow.
2. Battery tray: looks like I can shave some weight AND move the battery about 1/8" forward, giving better COG options. I will hold off on that until I get the tail boom shortened.

Matt
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:57 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
It is a Green Walkera #52 that has been repackaged and price tripled for the Venom name. This is a classic Venom rip off. The price difference is way too high for the customer support that you think you'll get. Beware the Evil Green
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Jan 18, 2007 at 07:48 PM.