HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2007, 08:29 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Some people use self-adhesive foam as well. I think the tail wing/horiz. stab. does a pretty good job, though! Plus it looks cool...
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2007, 07:02 PM
BlackBox
Vancouver
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
Spare parts are available from here;

http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/proddetails.asp?Pid=976

Please follow the ordering procedure, it might be a few steps more than placing the complete kit.

Alex
ACT LABS
hamid is offline Find More Posts by hamid
Old Mar 03, 2007, 07:50 PM
BlackBox
Vancouver
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
I watch Jeremy Z video, that is very good. I think it can be better if he put these mouse pad on the ground.

http://www.act-labs.com/Products/MousePadH.htm

They are in fact very high quality/precision mouse pads.

Alex

ACT LABS
hamid is offline Find More Posts by hamid
Old Mar 04, 2007, 04:27 PM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
Would the SuperSkids fit the HummingBird v.4?

The v.4 skids are fairly sturdy but I really like the wider stance on the SuperSkids
Dogwoodtheone is offline Find More Posts by Dogwoodtheone
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:05 PM
Ham Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2003
198 Posts
When will the 3D superskids be available? I was looking at the regular ones but I like to flip and flop my CP as it has a brushless motor and controlled by a 9C for full pos and neg.
PJRono is offline Find More Posts by PJRono
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:16 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
There are some in the mail for me to try out as we speak...
Old Mar 05, 2007, 12:25 PM
Ham Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2003
198 Posts
Also how well do they tolerate the cold?? (Minnesota?)
PJRono is offline Find More Posts by PJRono
Old Mar 05, 2007, 01:10 PM
CAMOMAN
JASPER TEXAS
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
GWS Mini Dragonfly

I didn't see where it was mentioned but will these fit the GWS Mini Dragonfly.....?????
CAMOMAN is offline Find More Posts by CAMOMAN
Old Mar 05, 2007, 05:30 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRono
Also how well do they tolerate the cold?? (Minnesota?)
Mine were still quite flexible @ 35 degrees. Anything colder is too cold for my little fingers!
Old Mar 05, 2007, 05:34 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOMAN
I didn't see where it was mentioned but will these fit the GWS Mini Dragonfly.....?????
I'm not sure, but if the Mini Dragonfly can use the same landing gear and battery tray as either the Blade CP or the HB CP2, I'd say they would certainly work. They certainly appear similar enough from the pics here: http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod..._dragonfly.htm
Old Mar 06, 2007, 07:34 PM
Maine, USA
Joined Nov 2005
891 Posts
I'm sorry that I'm a couple days late in replying to some of these posts. I'll do my best to answer them now.

Dogwoodtheone, I'm not certain if they'll fit the HummingBird v.4. They weren't tested on it and I don't have one to try. My guess, and really that's all it is, is that the frame is similar enough to the GWS Dragonfly frame that it would fit with the same modifications to the SuperSkids.
http://super-skids.com/GWSsuperskids.htm

CAMOMAN, I'd have to refer you to the same link. I'm not certain if the GWS Mini Dragonfly is the same as the GWS Dragonfly. If the frame looks like the one in the link, it probably is.
The reason these don't fit in the stock position is because the downward angle of the landing gear used on the GWS is different than the angle used on most other helis (like the Blade CP or Walkera DF4). The angle on the superskids mounts is fixed and matches the majority of helis.

PJRono, I live in Maine and they seem to hold up, but I haven't flown in temps less than 32°, and that wan't for very long. Roman's test flight was spectacular enough, but how he managed it in that cold is really beyond me.
I'm not sure when we'll introduce the SuperSkids 3D, if we do at all. First, we have to make sure the product is worth selling. That is, will it be light enough and still strong enough to be a real alternative to stock skids. Will it be a reasonable choice. Then we have to decide if there is enough of a market for it. These things always seem to take longer than I anticipate, so my guess would be 2 months, if we decide to continue the project. We really haven't even settled on a name. I've been calling them SuperSkids 3D because I like the name, but SuperSkids Aero and SuperSkids Lite have also been mentioned. The name of a product can be important, and we're open for suggestions.
GTX_SlotCar is offline Find More Posts by GTX_SlotCar
Old Mar 06, 2007, 07:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Do the SuperSkids make a Blade CP Pro any higher off the ground? Specifically does it keep the tail rotor any higher off the ground?

I think I'm mostly past the "landing too hard" stage, but I think the BCPP with stock skids has the tail rotor too close to the ground. Sitting on a completely flat surface, there is only about 1/4" clearance between the tail rotor and the ground. It works fine on smooth surfaces like concrete, but when flying off grass it's about impossible to keep the tail rotor from hitting the grass or little hummocks occasionally. I'm afraid this shortens the tail motor life, so I'd like the landing gear to be a little higher.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
I think SuperSkids 3D is the best name of the three.
It sounds like they were built for aggressive maneuvers, but also strong enough for when those maneuvers go badly.

Lite sounds too cheap

Aero makes me think of airplanes or something european.

(Sorry for the late response... I just got a used Blade CP from a friend and I'm shopping for replacement parts. I'm considering a set of SuperSkids. The only reason I'm debating is because of the slight weight penalty)
FlyinLo is offline Find More Posts by FlyinLo
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:39 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Great Skids!

Just got 2 pair in for a Hummingbird FP elite and a Humming bird 3dpro. I've upgraded the HB FP with all metal from the pro and installed a Razor 400 brushless/ TP 3cell 910, CC10 esc, CF blades, and a Blade CP canopy. The skids have been a constant problem. Always applying CA glue for even the slightest glance, then JB weld. Tried using the HB 3D Pro landing from Century (Cost $25) but that cracked on the first bounce. Found a black pair with faux carbon fiber fins and a white pair, like in the test. Have only installed the Black pair on the HB FP so far and they look great. And they tighten up the heli frame quite a bit, adding needed height and strength. Had to put them on facing backwards and trim the tops a little so the screws could bite. Left out the boom supports to save weight. It is a little heavier but nothing a little added pitch didn't fix. Its does stabilize the heli, great for beginners, but dial up the rates, throws, links, whatever, and still handles great. So, as far as Fixed Pitch Sport flying, these are great and highly recommended. I will post an updatewhen I install them on the HB 3D Pro.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 09, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:00 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
I can't tell if that's the newer horizontal fin on the boom, but either way, it will certainly save you from a boom strike!! V2 of the horiz. fin is darn-near indestructible!!

I'm monitoring a friend's progress learning to fly on these things, and he can't break 'em!!