HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:31 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,158 Posts
Discussion
ho ho ho !!!

well, even though it was a miserable year in construction... my boss saw fit to kick me down a little X-mas cheer.... $ 700 bucks of Visa gift cards and a tree ornament (bosses wife likes me too)

so I'm thinking digital Camera ..... any advise ? I really wan't to shoot fast moveing planes.
"cheers" dd.
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:39 PM
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Nov 2003
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
well, even though it was a miserable year in construction... my boss saw fit to kick me down a little X-mas cheer.... $ 700 bucks of Visa gift cards and a tree ornament (bosses wife likes me too)

so I'm thinking digital Camera ..... any advise ? I really wan't to shoot fast moveing planes.
"cheers" dd.
Sharing is Caring......
Davey01 is offline Find More Posts by Davey01
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:51 PM
only easy day was yesterday
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined Apr 2006
523 Posts
DD

Do you have a 35mm already? If yes then I would go with a digital that could use what ever lenses you already have. There are lots of great Digitals out there now but if you already have a lens investment there should be digitals to fit the lenses you have.

Mark
markktm is offline Find More Posts by markktm
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Merry Christmas Dutchy, looks like somebody loves ya!
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:32 PM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
A couple of those would definatly fit in the wife's sock. You must've won "employee of the month" a couple of times this year. Merry Christmas
gorgeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gorgeflyer
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Lovin' my little Canon Rebel .
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
Lovin' my little Canon Rebel .
can you show me some pics ?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:07 AM
Fly~Crash~Repair~Repeat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
Lousy year in construction is right. I'll be lucky if I still have a job next year. (my boss isn't pursuing any projects right now and we're working on our last house)

I want your boss dutchy. Does he need anyone
SLO Soarer is offline Find More Posts by SLO Soarer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:12 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Soarer
Lousy year in construction is right. I'll be lucky if I still have a job next year. (my boss isn't pursuing any projects right now and we're working on our last house)

I want your boss dutchy. Does he need anyone
"sadly" we are prepareing for yet another round of layoffs... we went from a company of 200+ to 6. 1991 taught me to hope for the best but be prepared for the worst... I've been saveing $ ever since. I'll never buy my dinner with my gas credit card at a gas station again !!!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:21 AM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
Smart man. We haven't started to slow down up here yet but it's coming. If you listen real close you can hear the sphincters of all the spec builder starting to tighten up.
gorgeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gorgeflyer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
can you show me some pics ?
2nd the Cannon Rebel, bought one early this year and it has shot hundreds of photos. It's primarily used as a point and shoot - probably overkill for that, but I already had lenses, so I bought it as body only. Can not comment on it's use as an "artsy fartsy" picture machine, if that's what you want, then you probably need to do more research.

Various pics from the Rebel attached.
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:17 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,228 Posts
I have the Cannon too. Nice camera but it's HUGE and you still have to take 20 pictures to get one or two good ones. It's still not easy to get good inflight shots with it and with fast planes it's nearly impossible. The autofocus just can't lock on to small fast moving objects. Best shots are taken when the plane is going slow such as at the top of a stall turn. Plus you will need to buy a zoom lens. For the camera and a zoom plus a 1G card figure around $1100~$1200

I had a lot better luck with my old Minolta (Non SLR). I could lock the focus on infinity and shoot away. Nearly every pic would be in focus with that camera. Take a look and see what non-slr camers are out there. You wnat a nice optical zoom, anything over 6X is good, (10X zoom is bueno). Most important is the focus lock for shooting planes. All the other stuff is fluff.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:25 AM
W49
Sydney
Joined May 2006
66 Posts
try olympus i have been quite happy with them. and looking at getting a new one from them at the moment. they have nice one that is water proof and drop resistant.

my 2 cents
W49 is offline Find More Posts by W49
Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:00 AM
Fly~Crash~Repair~Repeat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
I hear ya dutchy, I got laid off from CENTEX in july. It was a bummer but I went back to building the next day. A lot of people don't have the opportunity to have a job the next day. I am very grateful.

I have a Fuji FinePix S5000. I paid just over $500 with lenses and some misc. accessories. Takes nice pics and you can set it to shoot 5 or 6 in a row. Works great for fast flying planes and getting action shots at my 7 year olds soccer games .

Here are some pics of my brother in laws scale ship from San Luis Obispo.
SLO Soarer is offline Find More Posts by SLO Soarer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:24 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,012 Posts
SLR? You should be able to pick up Canon EOS350D's real cheap now the EOS400D with the bigger sensor is out.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk