HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:09 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Discussion
LOL - funny slow stick story with a moral

So during the summer, I made a bunch motors. Just can not help my self, I have about 2X the number of brushless motors than I do planes and have current 7 planes. SO - in putzing around yesterday I take the 14T 22AWG gobrushless double and stick it on the slow stick. I figure Ill spin a 10X4.7 and ~ 10 amps for craploads of power.

Mount the motor, put it on the driveway and giver her WOT. The thing ROG'd in about 6 inches and could go verticle like a bat out of heck (for a SS) until I couldnt see it. Hmm, I thought. I have flown with 120 watts before on a slowstick and it this is much more, em 'overpowered'. So from about 500' (which got to that in very little time) - I cut the throt and glide around then deadstick it in back to the driveway (alway deadstick the slowstick in tight places).

Motor is not hot (about 40F yesterday), everything looks normal.

I put the eflite wattmeter on it and bench WOT. 26 amps at 11.4V!!!! I mistakenly put a GB double wound for 6" prop for speed on a slowstick. Well, if anybody is wondering 290 watts does fly a slowstick. Good thing it was cold outside and I landed it quickly, else motor and battery would be kaput!

Moral of the story - mark you motors with wind and use. BTW - I found the GB double I though I was using on another plane.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
to remove ads between posts