Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by scrtsqrl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:53 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,342 Posts
Build Log
My Second Easystar-Less is More

Here's the set-up that I flew with for nearly a year. I learned and got proficeint FPV. with it. It was an excellent starter set-up. You can see how it evolved over time. Also proves the versatility of the EasyStar w/ a humble Stock Motor.

I decided to go simple and light...

I don't claim that this is the best set-up...All I'm saying is that this is it worked really well for me.

Airplane: EZ*
Motor: Stock Speed 400
Esc: Stock Multiplex 8 Amp ESC
Flight Battery: 1800 or 2300 mAH 2 Cell LiPo from Micro Wireless
Rx: Electron 6 from Hobby Lobby
Flight Control Radio: Futaba 6EXAS from Tower Hobbies
Altimeter: Zlog Altimeter
LiPo Shield from Dimension Eng.
LiPo Saver
Position Lights for night flying.

Notes: The Rx is located in the cavity just under the motor. I installed it using by cutting a "keyed" section in the belly of the aircraft as others have done to separate it from the video Tx. The rudder is enlarged. An APC 6 X 4 Propeller is installed. I fly it for around 20-25 minutes per pack, though 40 minute flights are not uncommon. Lipo Shield provides low voltage cut-off protection. LiPo Saver provides visual cue that the battery volatage is below 6V.

Channel Assignment:
1 - Rudder
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Pan
6 - Tilt

Airborne Video:
Camera: KX-131 from Range Video
Tx: 500 mW 2.4 GHz from Range Video
Battery Pack: Homemade with 4 AAA 900 mAH NiMH Eveready Batteries
Pan & Tilt Set-up.
Notes:
1. The entire assembly is built on a foam board "raft". It is attached to the airframe with velcro. It can easily be removed simply by disconnecting the pan servo from the servo extension.
2. If I were to start over, I'd buy the 200mW Combo from MicroWireless.

Portable "Base Station"
Goggles from Range Video
Rx from Micro Wireless
Homemade Battery Pack
AIPTEK Camera/DVR
Carry Box

My FPV Set-up (3 min 47 sec)
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Feb 10, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2007, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2005
150 Posts
I just tried a flight in my EZ Star using pretty close to your setup.

I am using the stock Speed 400 (I haven't discovered how to remove it without destroying the airplane - I purchased the EZ* used).

I'm using a Master Airscrew 6x3 prop.
I'm using a GP 30A esc and a Tanic 2200 7.4v pack.
I'm using a Hitec Electron 6 rx.

The performance I saw leads me to believe that if I were to load up the gear needed for FPV, this poor thing wouldn't fly at all! Did I end up with a ship that's got a very tired motor in it, or is "anemic" accurate for a 7.4v run?

tnx!

g.
geneb is offline Find More Posts by geneb
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
80 Posts
removing the speed 400 from the easystar

Hi there,
I was able to remove my motor from my E* RTF by using an Xacto
hotknife to clear the hotmelt it is mounted with in the RTF from the side of the motor, if you knick the motor foam in to process simply use hotmelt glue to repairs same(anti hotmelt glue fanatics , multiplex NOW recommends hotmelt glue for elapor as a alternative to thick CA on the cularis assembly instructions

gwen
ps a brushless 20mm chinese inrunner from rc-dymond and 3s1p 2100 lipo with 20c and a 6x3(gently remove enough fuselage to clear the prop..) shear insane hi powered joy
gwenhastings is offline Find More Posts by gwenhastings
Last edited by gwenhastings; Oct 24, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
licensed meat mechanic
United States, CA, San Anselmo
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts
that's insanely wonderful!!! what kind of range do you get from your video transmitter?
docflash is offline Find More Posts by docflash