HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:06 PM
Back in black............
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Discussion
couple of planes I have been working on

I wanted to share a couple of planes that i have been working on.

The wing is a slightly up scaled ZagNutz from Gene's plains. It spans 63" cord 13" in the middle it will be powered by a astro 05 7 turn and a 4s emoli pack. with a pitch speed of 142mph and 42oz of static thrust on a 4.7x5.5 sipping 22 amps WOT static. this will be my first wing just hope I can fly it.

The second is my own design again. Amanda says it looks like a submarine. it is loosely based on the A/V Pointer. It will have a wing mounted pusher but that's about all i know when it comes to the power train. It will be a using the wing off of a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady that is 3 piece the camera will be mounted on the front set up real similar to kd7ost's dragonfly plane. Hope you don't mind but that was the best thing I have seen for going from a vertical to a horizon shot

Please feel free to let me know what you think if you see something that you feel is not right or might not work say so thanks Mike
cars4fun2001 is offline Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
Joined Aug 2003
621 Posts
Is this your first wing? If yes, keep your thumb out of the way! I'd like to hear how your emoli setup turns out.
cainebean is offline Find More Posts by cainebean
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:14 AM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
yea its my first wing. I have been trying to figure out how to launch it. The pic n the middle it is setting on the fins I was wondering if it would do a vertical lift of with enough thrust. it would be cool as all get out if you could get it to take off vertical talk about being able to fly in a confined space if you could also land it that way I hope to have it going by this weekend if the mail man is nice to me. can some of you guys that have the ZagNutz let me know what your auw is or maby better what you wing loading is as i have no clue what this things can handle
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:40 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
not much work on the wing just a little more coroplast added to the bottom.

The A/V submarine has had some pic worthy work done i hope. the wing mounting plate is installed but not cut to length. I will want to get the camera mount installed before i cut it so I can hopefully get the cg right. the wing is 9x77 but the plane is coming heavy, no big surprize there for the folks that know me on here. as she sets it weighs 34oz. the tail moment should be long enough to keep it nice and smooth. the camera mount will be on the front of the plain. I have been working on it a little but no pics tell it is ready. I am including a drawing to give you a idea there will be a carbon shaft extending from the are from with a slightly large one allowing it to stay level and a servo attach to aim it up and down check out the pics and let me know what you think thanks mike
Last edited by cars4fun2001; Dec 22, 2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,354 Posts
Cars,

We have had some 60"+ wings that weighed in at a porky 5 lbs! We were using bigger brushless motors and bigger props but they are capable of carrying some big weights. I wouldn't worry to much about hauling the eMoli's around.

Judging by the pictures, make sure you pack as much of your gear as far forward as you can get it. You'll want your initial flights to be a bit nose heavy to begin with. My suggestion is to test glide, test glide, test glide! If it tries to nose up at all on a gentle toss, then add some more weight in the nose.

As for launching, we usually put a small plywood "skeg" on the underside as a handle. It should start from just behind the nose and end right about were the CG is. Acts as a pretty good landing skid too! That way you won't pass your fingers thru the blender when you launch the thing!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Gene
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Nice work Cars
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:09 PM
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Gene you just made me very happy. i have everything on the wing ready to go short of the pack and radio gear and I am coming in at 34oz i was very worried about that but even if i add 20oz's more i want be at 5#. I don't know why i cant build anything light it is beyond me ability. I can change props around and get a little more thrust and loose the pitch speed it might serve me better. thanks for the tips I was looking at putting two 2" PVC pipes together to make a rail launcher for the wing.

Thanks for the complement Randall I wish I could get some better pics loaded up of A/V submarine but the camera that i have don't like close shots and then when i up load them they get even worse.

Mike