HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:08 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
Discussion
Micro Balloons with Polyester Resin?

I've used micro balloons with epoxy in the past, but was wondering if anyone has used it with success in polyester resin? I'm looking for something that will set up quicker than epoxy and be easily sanded. The poly resin I have sets up in about 1/2 hour, which is much faster than the West Systems epoxy I usually use.

Does anyone have any experience mixing these two components?

Thanks.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:25 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,320 Posts
I could be wrong, but isn't Bondo basically polyester resin with filler, but with a paste catalyst?
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2004
178 Posts
Polyester resin and microballons

I have used polyester surfacing resin and microballons and it works just fine. It will sand easier than epoxy and microballons. Only thing to be careful of is don't catalyze it too strongly if you are going to build thick sections, cause it may get too hot. There was a time when most surfacing resins were polyester and not epoxy, but I'm probably dating myself. For speed and sanding ease, polyester is great, but stinky. If I was building a plug, I would use polester. I don't like to mix polyester and epoxy on a model, either always polyester or always epoxy. I believe Bondo is the cheapest polyester and the cheapest talc in the world mixed together. Rudy
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:50 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Actually, I have to confess that this isn't model related. I've got some bricks that have some cracks in them and I need a way to patch/sand the cracks without pulling the bricks out. The place is painted, so it will have to be repainted, so that isn't an issue.
I might just get a gallon of Bondo and try that. I noticed that they also make some sort of catalyzed paste called Home Solutions or something like that.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2004
178 Posts
Bondo

Home solutions patching paste is basically Bondo but rebranded for Home Depot. Sometimes Bondo is on sale at Kragens. For brick patching I would buy the cheapest Bondo type stuff I could find, none will hold the brick together just will fill the hole. If you live in wet climates, maybe a non shrinking water mix mortar would be better, since with a wet brick might be hard to get the Bondo to adhere. Rudy
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F