HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
PicooZ 130mAh upgrade

Hi all

I bought a Picooz last weekend as it looked like fun, and it was....for 30 minutes until in my excitement I managed to pierce the li-poly battery with a pin (while trying to add more weight to the front)!!

I'd never flown a heli before this and enjoyed it so much and was so disappointed that I decided to see if I could find a replacement battery. Unfortunately everywhere was out of stock of the standard 50mAh Li-poly...but I found a 130mAh instead. It is a little bigger than the 50mAh but I thought I'd give it a try.

Once the new battery arrived I realised I would have a fair bit of DIY to do on the PicooZ to make it fit. It is longer and wider, and weighs more than twice as much as the original. I carefully cut away around the battery "compartment" and eventually managed to get it to fit - just! It's a bit of a squeeze, and the top corner of the Li-Poly is literally level with the windscreen, but it does fit.

I plugged it into the charger and the light came on, and a quick blip of the throttle spun the rotor - so I was happy that my wiring job can't have been too bad (it is VERY fiddly wiring the battery!)

After a full charge, which took about 35-40 mins (longer due to the increased capacity of the battery) I decided to perform a test flight. I was a little worried that it wouldn't get off the ground due to the increased weight, plus I had temporarily used masking tape to hold the picooZ together (foam safe glue on order). However, my worry was unfounded and it flew great

It's actually more stable than before, and because the battery is heavier and also furter forward there is no need for extra weight for forward movement. I could trim it out quite nicely, except for a slight inclination for it to drift to the right (I think this is because the Li-poly sits slightly off centre) but this does mean that it settles into long, predictable circling with no need to touch any controls except the throttle.

About 80% throttle gets it just below ceiling height, and I flew around the room for 7 minutes before I noticed any real dip in power. At this point I had to increase throttle to counteract battery drain.

After about 11 minutes of flight, power was sufficient to keep it flying at chest height - but no higher. After 13 minutes it was time to land (not enough power to keep it controllable).

I was very impressed with performance! The extra weight means you have to give it more throttle, but this is offset by the larger battery capacity - so much so that my flight time actually increased quite dramatically as i was only getting about 6-7 mins before.

With glue rather than tape to hold it together, and the upgraded carbon rotor kit (on order) performance and flight time should improve even further.

I thought I'd post my experience as I was so pleased with it - I hope it is useful to others considering trying a longer life battery, in my opinion it is well worth it!
Googleflump is offline Find More Posts by Googleflump
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Can you take some pictures of the setup and post them?
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:28 AM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Hmmm, there's not an awful lot to see really. Probbaly best explained by a small diagram, see attached.

Hope this helps. I've just received my depron and some foam safe glue so will be creating a custom body at some point soon, ready for when I receive my carbon fibre upgrade kit.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:05 AM
Biscote
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Feb 2006
3 Posts
where did you get the battery?
biscote3 is offline Find More Posts by biscote3
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscote3
where did you get the battery?
It came from indoor flyer: www.indoorflyer.co.uk
Old Jan 05, 2007, 04:43 PM
Think 3D :)
England , north lincolnshire
Joined Jul 2004
738 Posts
where do you get the carbon upgrade from?

Aidan.
Aidan is offline Find More Posts by Aidan
Old Jan 05, 2007, 04:46 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
Why do I have a feeling you already know this? The carbon upgrade with bearings also comes from http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Jan 05, 2007, 04:58 PM
Think 3D :)
England , north lincolnshire
Joined Jul 2004
738 Posts
i looked onthere couldnt see it?

Aidan.
Aidan is offline Find More Posts by Aidan
Old Jan 05, 2007, 05:02 PM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Dec 2006
28 Posts
http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/index.a...&productid=135

its in Materials, tools and accessories not the Carbon Fibre section
Wezwee is offline Find More Posts by Wezwee
Old Jan 05, 2007, 05:29 PM
Mr. too many toys
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
162 Posts
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=3862

Maximilianus is offline Find More Posts by Maximilianus
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Hi,

I tried the same mod as Googleflump using the same battery (130mAh) from indoorflyer, however I was unable to get the picooz to gain any height with a fully charged battery. I fitted it in the same place as the diagram Googleflump posted with the top corner of the battery in much the same position (just poking through the top of the front).

After that didn't work I then took the battery out again and hung it under the picooz by the wires (with the bottom section with the fins removed), and taped the front up, and tried flying it again. This shifted the weight back some and made the picooz more upright, and although it still wouldn't gain any height, it didn't lose height quite as quickly.

It appears to be too heavy to fly! And I can't see any way I can remove any weight other than by switching back to a smaller battery (and the original one is now knackered). The only solution I can think of is to fit a more powerful motor. Does anyone know which one (e.g. from indoorflyer) I should use?
invicta_flyer is offline Find More Posts by invicta_flyer
Last edited by invicta_flyer; Jan 10, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:15 PM
Portland, OR US
Joined Aug 2005
992 Posts
Cool mod as my piccoz is officially dead due to my idiot friends came over and played with it but left the switch on. Now I think my lipo is dead as it won't charge anymore. Maybe I will try this mod or buy another.
cat5 is online now Find More Posts by cat5
Old Jan 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
Mr. too many toys
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
162 Posts
Check out this post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...98#post6771498

Maximilianus is offline Find More Posts by Maximilianus
Old Jan 07, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
49 Posts
Drive Shaft Mod

Drive Shaft stabilizer modification, how to stabilize the main rotor shaft without cutting open your Picco Z, I used 6.5mm diameter nilon bar, drilled 1.5mm hole through the centre, and cut the length to 3.7mm. Then use a sharp knife to make a wedge shape towards the centre hole. Finally cut out a slot in the top of the Picco Z, so you can slide this bush onto the rotor shaft, wedge shape first, the glue the polystyrene slice you cut out.[IMG]
T-R-E-V is offline Find More Posts by T-R-E-V