HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2001, 07:43 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Hobby Shops in Baltimore/Washington D.C.

I just moved to the Baltimore Washington D.C. area [right in between] and am looking for some good electric hobby shops to visit. I went by the national building museum yesterday... wow what a great place to fly! Also looking for a some good club to join up here. Thanks for any info.

Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2001, 09:42 AM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Jim:

You are just in time to attend the best E-Flight meet in our area, the Capital Area Silent Aviators' "Spring Sizzle," organized by our very own Dereck Woodward. The event is held Memorial Day Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, and will draw at least 50 fliers each day. Here's the link to Dereck's site, which includes a map to the flying field.
WWW.weekendpilot.homestead.com.

The only local shop we have near the field is right across the street, Suzie Goose Hobbies, which is a ceramic shop that also sells E-Flight supplies. The owner, Roy, is helpful, but the in-stock items are limited.

Hope to see you at the Sizzle.

Gary

[This message has been edited by GaryK (edited 05-21-2001).]
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old May 21, 2001, 09:58 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Hey, Jim. Welcome to the area.

Doug's Hobby Shop in Waldorf, Md., is one of the best in the area. The store has been a long-time advertiser in the modeling magazines and does a lot to support area clubs. I haven't been out there in awhile, but a representative did a presentation at one of our club meetings and showed off some of the store's wares for e-flight.

Still, if there's a specific item you need, it's always good to call ahead. If Doug's doesn't have it, they can get it for you.

Brian Nixon
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old May 21, 2001, 10:28 AM
Silent Majority
Monrovia,MD,USA
Joined Mar 2000
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryK:
Jim:

You are just in time to attend the best E-Flight meet in our area, the Capital Area Silent Aviators' "Spring Sizzle," organized by our very own Dereck Woodward
Well it is a great meet...but the Club is the Capital Area Soaring Association (CASA).

Bert

Bert is offline Find More Posts by Bert
Old May 21, 2001, 12:34 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Dec 2000
140 Posts
Here's a link for you:
http://www.dc-rc.org/Hobby%20Shops.htm

I used to live in Columbia, and I go to Hobby City. They have a decent selection of E-flight stuff if you're into micro up to S400 stuff. Some bigger stuff, but nothing other than ferrite motors. They've got batteries for the car guys... They also have SIG contest balsa. The shop should be practically in your backyard.

For flying, there is a Howard County RC field close by. Ask at Hobby City where it is...I think it's a couple minutes south. If you work for NASA (or a contractor) you can join the NASA club (that's where I fly). For an electric club I believe your only option is the CASA site in Rockville. I hope to go there next weekend for Spring Sizzle.
Mark
mralston is offline Find More Posts by mralston
Old May 21, 2001, 02:31 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Jim
Whereabouts between Balto and DC?

Understand the IMAC crowd from the DC RC club decamped to the new Free State (formerly Howard County) club site, which makes taking earplugs handy

CASA site is in Rockville, not far off I-270, it is a "silents only", soarer run club and I understand CASA is pretty big in that genre, with loads of soarer comps, but there's some serious sports electrics on the fringes.

The Spring Sizzle is a two day blip in the CASA soaring calendar, has shown promise of turning into a pretty good event. Last year, even with some drizzle, we had around 70 fliers through the weekend and models from indoor to huge. Appreciate you might still be in the throws of moving in, but try and come over one day - there's some good raffle prizes going this year.

The site is usually open all daylight hours weekends in flyable weather, so come on down.

Hobby City is in the Burtonsville Crossing shopping centre on Rte 29, just off I-95 to the west. Lot of e-flight interest and a couple of practising e-fliers on staff. Web site at http://www.hobbycity.org/

There's a Saturday E-vent on the calendar, in July round near Dulles airport, and another rumoured to be in September though I haven't got a date for that one.

As everyone round here is cramped for space and being hit with noise control measures, noise-free sports flying is getting popular - the amount of park fliers sold is spectacular - and the larger electric sports models are catching on steadily. There's a level of interest that suggests an electric only club would be viable if we could find the right site.

NBM is a great venue. It's run by the DC Maxecuters, who are largely FF, so if they only get one end of the building, meets become FF rubber/CO2 only. It's well worth learning how to build with tiny sticks and power with gummybands just to fly there! If they get both ends, you can expect to see up around a dozen or so RC fliers in a day.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 21, 2001, 02:56 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Bert:

Can't CASA stand for "Capital Area Silent Aviators" just one weekend out of the year?

Gary
Old May 21, 2001, 03:23 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Gary, I think you've just hit upon the name for the new electric-only RC club for the Washington metropolitan area. Now, go forth and secure us a site.

See you at the Sizzle (hey, isn't that what you get when you break out of the seven-cell trap and overamp a ferrite unobtainium neobrushed gabberwodgy 5000?)
Old May 21, 2001, 04:27 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Wow, what Great information! Thanks guys! I will absolutly be at the spring sizzle! See you there!

Dereck:
I live/work in Fort Meade MD, so I'm smack dab in the middle of Baltimore/Anapolis/Washington... I think it's a great location, no traffic and I'm near everything!

Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old May 21, 2001, 04:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Gary - why not? We're a bunch of overgrown kids flying big toys off a landfill, and making it hard work by using great lumps of heavy and unecological batteries for power.

I find a sense of humour very necessary to justify that

I was going to use "CASA (Capital Area Soaring Assoc.) presents CASA (Capital Area Silent Aviation)" but tradition is strong around here

Brian - are you hereabouts too - I live just outside the beltway, in Potomac. Maybe we need a gathering of DC Metro area e-fliers, if only to keep in touch - anyone good with web-pages?.

Keep an eye out for a slimer club getting the boot on noise issues, that kind of thing. I'd be willing to throw some effort into an electric only club - we could co-exist with society far more easily than the noisy lot.

Would even be prepared to hike around to Planet Virginia for a club like that.

Sizzle - that's the sound you hear when your battery, not your motor, is out the Seven Cell Trap (tm), as in trying to run your E-Streak on a ten cell pack on a seven cell motor with a 9" prop

Jim - no traffic! Are you sure you live around the same DC? If the Beltway gets any more crowded with SUVs, Starbucks will start opening branches in the median.

Drop by and say hello on the weekend. I'll be running around, but my Sue runs tranny control and is hard to miss (and will sell you raffle tickets )

Regards

Dereck
Old May 21, 2001, 04:57 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Jim:

Now how's about that for hospitality? I'll bet you would have never thunk that you could meet such a sociable bunch in under 24 hours. We'll be easy to spot at the Sizzle. I'll be under a green and white sun (not rain) shelter in prime position next to the fence. Be sure and stop by to introduce yourself. Dereck is hard to miss as he's got an unmistakable accent that can be recognized above the din of Zagi props.

Brian and Chris: look forward to meeting you as well.

Gary
Old May 21, 2001, 06:30 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
Jim

There is a pretty good hobby shop in Burtonsville on rte 29--very close to Columbia and Fort Meade. Whenever I make the trek from Richmond, I always try to stop there--they carry lots of electric stuff, good light wood, kits (ifn you want them) and all sorts of fiddle bits and good magazines on electric flight.

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old May 22, 2001, 01:40 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,549 Posts
I use Doug's in Waldorf, they have a growing collection of park flyer and slowflyer stuff, not much for the more serious electric flyer. It is a full service hobby shop though and there prices on radio's are = or better than other mailorder sources. If you belong to a local club they will give you 10% off on "non-discounted" items which seems to be most cheaper hardware and supply items. The do get some neat stuff in from time to time, in the last year or two I have bought the Multiplex simulator, Picojet, and JR Voyager Heli there as examples at competitive prices.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 22, 2001, 09:16 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Dereck, I'm over in Fairfax County. Will I get carded when I cross the river on Saturday? There should be more activities to bring the e-fliers in the area together.

Pat Daily, are you coming up for the event? I would like to meet you and see your work.

Brian Nixon
Old May 22, 2001, 09:35 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Brian
I'll set you up with a Visa for Planet Maryland

Love to see you folk from over there, we even have a few who travel around for regular Sundays at "The site never, ever called Mt T". Some even joined CASA.

What do you fly? If you're soaringly inclined, they tend to start early. Sports drivers tend to fly later in the day. Let's say its down to operating incompatabilities of different model genres.

As to a loose association (!!!) of DC Metro area E-fliers, sounds great. Minimal organisation and low subs are high on my list. OTOH, if we ever found a viable site, it might be good to have some formality to deal with the matter. Don't look at me like that, I am one of life's natural indians, definitely not a Chief.

I reckon something like the Rockville site would be ideal. Need good enough grass for runways, but I think we could get away with less space if the site is for electric models only - soarer types can roam too far afield for neighbourly comfort, IMO. Noise constraints shouldn't be a problem.

With three funflies in the calendar, plus the number of us scattered around, it has to be popular - some of the folk buying parkies from Doug's, Hobby City and the others must be looking to trade up some, or at least fly in peace and quiet. Suggests that some kind of association could well be viable.

Regards

Dereck