HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
127 Posts
Discussion
Nirvana II and chase boat feelings...

Im all but set on the NirvanaII - anyone want to chime on pro or con let me know.

A chase boat...

The lakes i know all have plentiful kelp - - i mean till its either right below the surface or looking like sargasm weed at the very top. Being that Bulb keels while highly efficient also seem like kelp catchers, I have an idea to rescue a possible tangled boat. What about just having a regular electric boat going out there with a hook or just giving it a nudge top free it and spainring the use of a roof top kayak along with the drive to the pond. Sure you run the risk of entangling the "chase boat" but if its that close to the surface you often see it anyway. Nothings a cure all , but this seems an ok idea - and not to expensive.

Pete
Petewp is offline Find More Posts by Petewp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2004
29 Posts
I have a Nirvana II. It sails quite well in most conditions. I think it would make an exellent 1st boat and/or good one design for club racing.
N0cash is offline Find More Posts by N0cash
Old Dec 22, 2006, 01:42 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
A fishing rod with a tennis ball is another recommended way of getting a boat back.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 27, 2006, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
I use a Popeil Pocket Fisherman ( very compact and handy) with a weighted but floating weight like the soggy tennis ball, and fisherman's treble hooks with floats on the line following the ball... Throw across, snag the rigging on the retrieve, and hopefully not the sails, pull her out. I don't sail where the weeds are outrageous, so I don't have that problem, mine is accidentally grounding in shallows where the water's too dark to see below. Hate wearing waders, a grown man sailing RC boats in the park looks nerdy enough already!:-) Carefully backing off the high spot with rudder-skulling and luff sail flapping have done it for me most of the time. Soon as the boat heels a little, scoot off the mud bar. Electric RC motor boats for recovery are nothing novel, clubs use them a lot. You could put it on the same channel as the sailboat I suppose, if you wanted to save lugging another TX with you. Or just buy one of the cheap 'toy" nikko cigarette type RC speedboats, and add some arms to it so you can run up alongside facing either dirction and push the boat out. I would say though that if the weeds are too thick to sail clear of, the electric boat may not be able to do much either.

You could consider adding a little weed guard to the front of the keel bulb; a piece of music wire that would look like the conning-tower-protecting "cowcatcher" on the front of U-boats they used to cut nets and boom cables with. In your case, the wire would run from the front of the bulb then a 45-degree rake back to the front facing edge of the keel itself. That way weeds could not wrap the bulb, and you'd have a better chance. The wire would not add too much drag if you were racing, or you'd make it removeable.

Might also add a strong wire loop at the top of the mast you can snag with a hook on a pole to lift or lower... I have some ponds where this may be the only way to launch and recover the boats into deep enough water to sail in. Probably impractical for boats bigger than 2 feet.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Dec 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
Wait...Say again?
Anaheim, California
Joined Aug 2004
198 Posts
Pete,

There's some good information on "chase" boats here. http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Towing_Recovery.htm

(I just bought a Vac-U-Tug with the intent of using it (or at least, having it handy) for recovery on the float plane I'm building.)

Joe
N74463 is offline Find More Posts by N74463