HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,949 Posts
Discussion
Model "Build-Off" Like TV Biker Build-off

Just musing , but it would be kinda neat if our E-Zone heros and unknown lurking designers and builders could be given a certain "doable" plane ( to be announced on the start date) to design, build, maiden and accomplish final trim by a certain date. Wingspan and number of controls to be specifed. ( Ailerons vs no ailerons, etc.) Builds, test flights etc., would be described and photographed and final trimmed flights videoed on this forum Then us dabblers, duffers and hackers could cheer for competitors and vote on their favorite/best flying model.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2006, 02:18 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
I for one don't think this is a good idea, it would mean people like me would actually have to finish projects.

j/k

Actually, this would be a fun project

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,386 Posts
What does finnish a project mean????
And yes "fun"
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:02 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
HHHMMMM, You might just have something there!

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:08 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I like the idea, but not with specified size and number of controls. IMO, let the designers be free to interpret a specified design however they wish. In the end, we might end up with a cool variety of the same model to appreciate. A potiential variety of sizes may lessen any competition between the designers for future plan or kit sales as well.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Dec 22, 2006, 05:55 AM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,190 Posts
I think that is a very cool idea. I agree to leave the designing options up to the designers as far as size # of controls etc, but would take it one step further. You never see two bike builders building the same bike, and I think it would be way cool to have designers "compete" through designing any plane from a specified era ie. Golden Age Racers, Warbirds from various generations, civil aviation, Biplanes, experimentals, etc.

That wouldn't saturate the market with any one design but could possibly expand the # of great designs already out there.

Just my 2 cents, and I won't/wouldn't be competing anyhow. But I will be watching and waiting to pick up the pieces of the aftermath!! I would be promptly gluing those pieces together into an airplane!!

Bosley
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:36 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
IMO, let the designers be free to interpret a specified design however they wish.

IF something was to come of this, and IF the guidelines are set up as suggested, it would be a great way to see what the market place is really looking for. If it was set up with only one specific design for a specific number of channels and a specific power system, you guys might get 3 or 4 of of the same to choose from, but if left to the divices of the designers to offer what they do best, a good variety could be offered, and the liklyhood that there will be a few good choices rather then just several of one. It would also give a good indication of what the builders out there really want.

PAT
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:19 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
I like the idea of this too! An opportunity to square off against a legend like Pat would be awesome!

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:43 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,949 Posts
In most biker buildoffs, you better have a wide fat rear tire, and extremely long extended front forks and skinny tank, other than that, there is a wide opportunity for paint, hardware, embellishment, theme, etc. I think that for there to be competition, in a plane design/buildoff, you'd need to have basic parameters like "golden age", "general aviation", "single engine" with freedom to do what you want within the parameters and time limit. If this turns out to be fun, do it again with different parameters.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 AM
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,169 Posts
Sounds like fun. I of course would vote for general aviation .

Dave
DBlum is offline Find More Posts by DBlum
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:23 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I think this would work best if a plane was picked that had a lot of variants or models - that way there would be a lot of room for different directions for people to take. Otherwise, all the entries might look very similar. Well except for Dave Blum's, who would probably smoke us all

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,488 Posts
Hey, I'm up for General Aviation too. There's a design that's been churning around for awhile that just needs a good excuse to get kicked off. I have to tell you all though that I am NOT driven by competition, but have seldom run from the opportunity to get a cool project going either. Will be fun to see if this all goes anywher.

PAT
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
it would be cool to let the designer build to his strength. as in the "biker build off", no two designer/builder has the same type of bike (i.e. chopper, bob, lowrider...). i, for one, like billy lane and the late indian larry styles. two completely different types but when they went head to head.....it was up to the voters to select the "winner".
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Dec 22, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts
With everyone of those biker build-offs that I have seen on TV, the better design always loses to an obvious cornball cliché that panders to the crowd & the lowest common denominator. If a design has an actual NEW idea on it, forget about getting the votes.
Of course the problem is the way they handle their votes, put the barrel next to the beer tent and anybody walking by can throw something in.
------------------------
I think it's a good idea for this group though. The average level of participant here is pretty high. Still the selection process is critical. Maybe an expert judging panel could be considered, along with a "peoples' choice"?
allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:36 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Allan - I couldn't agree more, it's usually the bike with the most skulls on it that wins as far as I can tell. Maybe we should have a rule against skulls for this contest
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer