HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:34 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
That's good to know.

I hope Roy and Roger post some more pics.

Frank (CC on standby)
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:02 PM
Littlebirdz
Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Leather
Hey,.. anyone know ABOUT how much this one is gonna be? Ball-parkin' even? Bob
I did some preliminary numbers tonight and the kit will probably be in the $30 range... I'll know a little more once I figure out hard numbers... It will come with all Dubro accessories (pushrods, control horns, etc), pre bent landing gear, full sized plans, manual and I'm not sure whether I want to include wheels or not just yet. I know everyone like to use their own style of wheels...

This kit has a lot more wood and time in cutting than the SE and Bullet and a few more required accessories that I would have to supply.

Opinions on the wheels?

-Dave
toofastdave is offline Find More Posts by toofastdave
Last edited by toofastdave; Dec 23, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:14 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,374 Posts
Leave the wheels out. Like you said I prefer to use my own style. I like the $30 range. Makes it hard to say no to that.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I agree with Steve. Most folks have extra wheels laying around. I was even thinking sans wheels like my SA SQuiRT.

If it keeps the cost to $30 or less then no wheels!

I think this is going to be a big hit for you Dave.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
That's a real cutie fellas. Looks a fun little neighborhood cruiser.

Now if we only had a G-Nat 1.5 we'd have a well rounded hangar
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Hey!!

It will most likely get here Tuesday.

What pressure?

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
A Note on wheels.....

A GREAT wheel for this kind/size of model can be EASILLY made. 99% of us have a cord or cordless 3/8" hand drill. You can make a balsa wheel any shape, from fatty balloon to vintage Eagle streamlines. Just cumpass out two blanks the same size.. If they are to be fatty's stack & glue blanks (use SOFT balsa, Glue grains 90 degrees apposing for stength) drill a small hole @ the compass point mark, take a large size bamboo skewer and cut down to about 2" or so, insert the point tightly in the hole, and place a TEENY drop of CA to hold in place. Chuck the other end in the hand drill. use Exactos, small files and sandpaper to get your shape. Now, the FUN part comes Go to Wally World, Lowes, or about any hardware store and buy a can of tool grip compound. It comes in many colors, but I prefer black. Also, buy a small one quart metal paint can. Pull your wheel off the short skewer, and add to a long one (you'll need it!) Pour the Tool grip into the metal can, chuck the skewer into your "hand lathe" and dip. Raise the wheel out of the dip and hit the trigger (KEEP THE WEEL INSIDE THE CAN!) to centrifically remove the excess. Remove from drill, and place in a tall jar to dry (wheel up, like a flower in a vase) If it's not thick enough, dip agin after drying till you are satisfied. Seal the metal can tightly and it will last forever (NOT so with the plastic topped can it comes in!) When dry, add a wheel axle bearing like brass/aluminum tube, or golden rod plastic sheaths. Paint wheel centers or leave black. A Nice rubber wheel, that is L-I-G-H-T And YOU Made it!
AND You MAY have kept the kit cost UNDER 30 bucks! Bob

PS: Thanks for the answer Dave!,..(Had to edit 'cause I forgot, and Mamma would slap me if she were here...)
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:27 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
I would also like to Say...

Thanks for making this AFFORDABLE. I, am an advocate against laser cutting, because of the price people charge for kits. This, MAY be the first laser kit I build. I've "owened" MANY laser kits, mostly DUMAS... But I just photo copy the plans and lasering and resell the kits to get my money back. Then, I just make My own printwood and cut by hand. There's a few TEENY-WEENY planes right now out there, with that price tag.... Even those funky foam cartoon-lookin' 6-piece planes that are laser cut (imagine laser cut foam, how hard is it to cut foam fer sake!? ) are running 69-99 bucks!
Hat's Off to You, Mr. Dave... a shining light in the dark, mad, stormy sea of currency collectors! Thanks Again! Bob

(You guys think I laid it on too thick? )
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Wow, that's cheap! I may have to buy a few myself You guys will be impressed with this kit I'm sure, especially at that price point. The instructions are fully illustrated and walk you through every step of the process. The parts fit is excellent, Dave always does a killer job on the cutting!

I agree that we all have our own wheel preferences so it's best to leave them out. Personally I want to try some Trexlers for touch-and-goes in the back yard I've got 1-3/4" Dubro wheels on there now and even with those it does great touch-and-goes off the grass in my backyard about 75% of the time. The other 25% it gets stuck in the tall grass, hopefully Trexlers can raise the rate to 100%

Have a Merry Christmas, I'll catch you guys in a few days
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
Littlebirdz
Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Leather
But I just photo copy the plans and lasering and resell the kits to get my money back. Then, I just make My own printwood and cut by hand.
Firstly I would say thanks for the compliments, BUT I wonder how many kitters would be out there putting out their ideas and designs if everyone did what you do.

I know of three laser cutting businesses who have already closed their doors because they don't make enough money, even at $65.00 per kit. I try to keep my prices down because I like the R/C community and don't rely on this income to support my family. If I needed to eat and this was my only source of income I surely wouldn't be involved in laser cutting R/C planes. There is MUCH more money to be made in laser engraving trophies, plaques and memorables and after all this is a business.

Most people just don't understand what's actually involved in doing this, how much time I spend doing this and if given the opportunity to run a business like this would pass. Truthfully, it just isn't worth it, unless you have other sources of income and absolutely love to do it.

-Dave
toofastdave is offline Find More Posts by toofastdave
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Still looking for the mail today.

Merry Christmas!!

Roger
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:55 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastdave
Firstly I would say thanks for the compliments, BUT I wonder how many kitters would be out there putting out their ideas and designs if everyone did what you do.

I know of three laser cutting businesses who have already closed their doors because they don't make enough money, even at $65.00 per kit. I try to keep my prices down because I like the R/C community and don't rely on this income to support my family. If I needed to eat and this was my only source of income I surely wouldn't be involved in laser cutting R/C planes. There is MUCH more money to be made in laser engraving trophies, plaques and memorables and after all this is a business.

Most people just don't understand what's actually involved in doing this, how much time I spend doing this and if given the opportunity to run a business like this would pass. Truthfully, it just isn't worth it, unless you have other sources of income and absolutely love to do it.

-Dave

And trust me Dave, it's appreciated. I'm always surprised at the low cost of your kits. I have bought from others too and always appreciate the quality I get in a laser cut kit. Glad you are able to do it for some enjoyment. It makes it easier to step away when you need to.

Merry Christmas!

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:46 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Dave.........

"BUT I wonder how many kitters would be out there putting out their ideas and designs if everyone did what you do."

Since My accident in '02... I haven't been able to work. I'll forego the"Boo-hoo" story of losing everything. and suffice in saying I'm dirt-poor, and on an extremely fixed income. I don't sell ANY of those 30" laser plans or photocopies, I dont pass them out. I usually enlarge them to 36" because I'm more comfortable with a lightly loaded, slow flying aircraft. If I didn't "Do what I do".. I wouldn't be flying... And My "doing it", hasn't hurt DUMAS one bit, taken the food from the mouths of babes, or closed one cottage industry, to my knowlege. I'm not reproducing kits, or selling ARF's from those plans. Actually,.. I've designed a few, and posted them for free here, for scratch building in both balsa and foam. I don't sell kits for them, I don't sell plans for them, they are all free, to everyone (now,.. If could only design something folks actually liked ) I give Tips & Tricks like the wheels to the point of being anal & boring (as maybe you've noticed ) I DO have un-copywrited plans of old vintage models that I TRADE with a lot of people,.. but I feel funny about asking for money for them, and to date.. in ten years doing it, I MAY have sold 8. If I'm a "bad-man" for that,.. I guess I'll be judged accordingly someday. With that said.. VERY nice design! Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be a big hit! Bob
Old Dec 23, 2006, 05:30 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Here We GO!!

I had been out running an errand and when I walked up to the door of the house, the box was there!!! That's fast from Texas to here in the middle of nothing. (Almost.)

The LoLo has arrived!!

Nice packing.
Plastic has the parts all sealed inside.
Great plans! The LG plan was added.

My eyes are still taking me back to look at the plans to see something I was thinking about. The plan is easy to check and see what I was thinking about.

Here are some pics.

Roger
Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastdave

-Dave
You're a good man Dave and we appreciate you helping us out with cutting kits for us. I can only imagine how much time a person must devote to this venture to make it it happen.

Trust me, it is very much appreciated.

Frank
RCG Plus Member