HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Discussion
New to EDF's, not new to jets or RC - have Vasa 55

Hey you guys, can you help an EDF noob? I'm a decent flier, decent builder (just completed a pusher F-18 and flew fine first time) and I have a Vasa 55 with no motor yet.

So I am looking for the best plane to try to learn how to fly an EDF plane (jet or otherwise). I need a motor suggestion as well as I don't know what to get.

I've even considered the Mountain Models jet...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:14 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
there are a lot of options on the motor, you need to decide how much power/weight you want to go with. Can't help with plane choice, I mostly scratch build.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,854 Posts
If you built the pusher F-18 from the steve shumate plans you might consider the corsair nut sky ray i think the 24" one would work with the vasa 55with the righht motor. there are plans and 2 build threads going now there in the pusher thread and here on the foamy edf thread.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
there are many different ways to build a good project.
One of them is first select the fan you like; get the motor, pack
that work well with the fan.
After you test and know the power output
of your system, look for the airframe you like
that match the power/weight, thrust/weight ratio of your desire.
Then enjoy the outcome of your project.

Keep reading and sharing experience with other flyers here.

rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
here is a list of my favorites

Lightest setup medium power
razor 350 or 2500 (soon to be sold by Neu motos) on 3s
good for about 150 watts, so pick a pack that can support it. A good pack would be a TP 1320 prolite. you will need a min 15amp controller a CC 25 is a good one to consider, lite and can support more powerful setups. 2mm fan adapter.

I think the 2500 is a more eff setup at a tiny weight penalty. It would be my first choice for a light setup

I deleted my other recommendations (med and hi power) since I consider them dangerous. I little searching will prob give you some other setups. for a jet in the 12-16oz AUW the razor is great and keeps the weight managble.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris