HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2007, 09:46 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,399 Posts
Thanks Lee for the graphic idea,will use the curved variant done in vinyl.Charles,the SSX is sure a sweet plane and I could probably ask James for one since I'm a demo pilot for him and he talked about sending me planes in the near future. My Islander C will either have a pusher or an edf inside the fuse,been trying to think how to fit a duct for airflow,although a top fan like my Coyote EDF would work well to,it's something I thought about.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2007, 12:39 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,399 Posts
the pmpjohn long ez build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...72#post8493528
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 05, 2007, 06:12 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Is there a place where we "canard uneducated" can get some basic information.
Canard prep school.

I'm a newbie. Just starting with a Super Cub but I have always loved canards.
You guys have some amazing designs and it seems they fly too. lol

Amazing!
Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Nov 05, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
New Canard Lover

Welcome Mike! Check out post 1. Andy Lennon's book got me started. Also there are several build logs in the forum. Page 79 post 1179 starts the Millennium Slow Stick X conversion which is a favorite with me. The ARF can be a canard super flyer in a few easy days. I hope you will be able to show us some tricks before long. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Nov 05, 2007, 08:25 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:09 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
"Georgia Goose" Logo?

Perhaps a "Georgia Goose" might be a bulldog with wings, Charles/Cliff?

PJ
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Old Nov 06, 2007, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
You must be thinking of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Paul. They would love Cliff's model which is in their colors. Andy Lennon named his models after birds. I counted 14 bird names plus a Wasp. My original canard which I now call the Georgia Duck was designed around his Canada Goose. We both had trouble getting our models trimmed. Andy had to put up with an inverted glow 0.35 with on board glow power and a weight of 4.7 pounds. My Goose is below two pounds with a reliable motor. What a difference twenty odd years makes. I am now waiting on something to inspire me into another design which needs to be different and a little weird. Charles
Old Nov 07, 2007, 06:14 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
This forum should be listed on the main page so it can be found easier. There is a listing for flying wings, robots and jokes but not canards.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 07:05 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
That's one of the problems
Canards can be Elect. or Fuel so they really would be in the AIRCRAFT-EXOTIC AND SPECIAL INTEREST category.
And NOBODY wants to be there.

So here we are in are own little electric world.

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Nov 08, 2007, 09:28 AM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
It is a shame this isn't easier to find. It might get more people interested.
Canards are much more interesting than flying wings! LOL
And the main page has a listing for Jokes?
Old Nov 08, 2007, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Thread Location

I believe we are in the best possible place. Electric Plane Talk attracts a very large audience. If a viewer does a search for canards, our forum will appear. Wet power users can also benefit from our thread via the pictures and design information and some have let their presence be known. The wet power units are best used as tractors placed along the main wing leading edges like on the Gee Bee Ascender and the Miles UK designs. However, it would be good to see the word Canard shown somewhere along the front page of the RC Groups. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Nov 15, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 11:03 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Charles, you just reminded me of something. I did a pusher canard, the X Wing Interceptor, from Klingberg I believe. It was a bear to get fuel to that rear facing engine without flooding it, and I had to have the muffler pionting foreward because the engine actually faced to the rear. Talk about an oily mess. What a pain, but it did fly with an OS 10 FSR. Electric's are sooooo much easier. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 08, 2007, 12:43 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
Welcome Mike! Check out post 1. Andy Lennon's book got me started. Also there are several build logs in the forum. Page 79 post 1179 starts the Millennium Slow Stick X conversion which is a favorite with me. The ARF can be a canard super flyer in a few easy days. I hope you will be able to show us some tricks before long. Charles

Canard Addict,

I noticed in this pic you used the SSX tail, but on the video I saw of this it was using the Micro SSX wing in the front. I have both a MSSX and SSX Arf kits and was thinking about combining the two. However, I am curious how it flew with the standard horz stab as opposed to the MSSX wing in the front? I would like to use the standard SSX tail section if possible so I don't have to use the MSSX ARF, but then again, I want it to fly well. Thoughts?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Nov 08, 2007, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Standard Millennium SSX Canard

Diggs, It is an outstanding flyer either way. My first build was with the standard parts for simplicity. Jkarpy, CEO of Millennium flew it twice and said he loves it, post 1272. The area of the standard tail is 24% of the wing area as I recall and lifts the nose well with the 1320 mah battery and some UP reflex in the ailerons. The Micro wing has a 30% canard and will lift the 2100 mah battery with no UP reflex required. The small flat standard canard may cause less turbulence on the main wing and could actually give better performance. I am pleased with either one. Go to page 79 and follow the standard build with the Micro build shown after that. I know you will be happy with the stable, wind penetrating performance of the canard version. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Nov 11, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Glow Canards

In early 2005 when canards sparked my interest, a friend, John W from Atlanta and a member of our Hilltop Flyers said he had built several and would bring one out and fly it for me. He assured me that they were very stable and easy to fly. He brought the biplane out with a 0.91 engine on it and I just flipped out when he flew it. The experience reignited John's interest and he designed two more as shown here. Charles