HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2007, 06:55 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,996 Posts
Name game?

It WOULD be nice to find a good new name for that thing in the front, near and dear to so many. I mean on the Canard airplanes. So what about a naming contest? It would be even nicer to find a name that would fit equally well for the tiny ones used on modern jet fighters, etc., as well as the larger ones often used on models. And "stabilizer" is still clear, but as a start I could also suggest >

- canstab
- elewing
- forestab
- forewing
- foreplane has been already used on subs and you'd have to be very careful how you pronounced it
- frab
- guider
- stabi
- stabwing

Don't start if you think it's too silly, but then again if it is TOO silly it could be a funny diversion. And while clarifying to someone new to Canards that the thing in the front is the "frab", the look on their face could also be very interesting. Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 07:10 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
sorry Lee
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Last edited by MustangAce17; Nov 02, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 08:52 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
It's just his observation.

I don't think you should get to bent out of shape and threating to take your planes and go home.

I'm sure Lee won't loss any sleep no matter what you call it.
So please, keep calling it whatever you want and keep posting those killer designs

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:08 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
Larry thanks for the comment about the designs,I used to think most thought they were rather weird but now I guess they are just "sleepers" who don't post but take a look. Kinda makes ya wonder how many people are actually interested with over 100 views and no replies eh.
Last edited by MustangAce17; Nov 02, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,485 Posts
Kyle, It would be a great loss for you to refrain from showing us your creations. Lee was only trying to bring in a little conversation to the thread. Actually, you two would probably make a good team. Here is a link he sent to me of one of his designs http://store.countdowncreations.com/flyairider.html There are countless viewers out there that we do not hear from and I know that your contributions are valuable to them just as they are to the ones who speak up. These many pages are filled with ideas which have provided much fun for us and I want it to continue. I truly appreciate the efforts of each of you. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:51 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
Charles sorry to get bent out of shape, my Jeep Cherokee is in the shop and I really miss the freedom it brought so I have been on edge lately. I remember Lee's design from 3 years ago and it flew pretty well,always wanted one but never saw them again.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:56 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Since very few of us here are actually aerospace engineers and most of us are already calling that funny thing on the front of these basakwards airplanes canards, I think I will contiue to do so. Canard stabilizer is probably more correct for the canard type aircraft. Horizontal stabilizer is the correct term for a conventional aircraft, but if you call it the stabilizer most folks understand what part you are talking about. While it makes for interesting discussion I see no need to reinvent or rename the wheel. Just my 2cts.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 03, 2007, 06:27 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,996 Posts
Okay, now that THAT pot seems to have been inadvertantly well-stirred, I guess Charles' first idea to call it a stabilizer seems the most practical for now, and if anyone calls it a "canard", we will all continue to understand. Then perhaps in that regard maybe the forward stab could then be called a "canard" and the confiuration a "Canard". While I am sure that nuance would easly tend to get overlooked, forgotten or otherwise hastily bypassed, the more it was used the clearer the distinction should become. I remember when waterskiing we used to shout "Hit it!" to mean "start", "turn" and maybe some other things.

Anyway I for one am now very happy to leave this particular subject. Lee
Old Nov 03, 2007, 02:23 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
...if anyone calls it a "canard", we will all continue to understand. ...
The use of the term "canard" for both the flying surface and for the aircraft arrangement has been widespread in the aerospace engineering community literally for decades.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 03, 2007, 02:50 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,996 Posts
Having worked both as an engineer and as a tech writer I am well aware of many engineers' occasional problems with proper language useage as well as terminology (as in "today I are a enjinear and yesterday I couldn't even spell it", which I am sure you have heard before [WINK]). I think this topic can best be comfortably laid to rest.
Old Nov 04, 2007, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts
Charles,
Thank you so much for performing the maiden flight on my Georgia Goose, Friday, October 26. I have taken your suggestions and have finished stripping the fuselage. Attached are two photos of the finished product. I never knew that flying a Canard was so much fun. It's a blast to fly!!
Please keep me informed of any new designs that you may release, as I definitely want to build more Canards.
Cliff
cmans is offline Find More Posts by cmans
Old Nov 04, 2007, 07:12 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,074 Posts
Fun aint it Cliff. Your Goose looks better than ever now. See uya at the field tomorrow. I test flew my new Super Cub tonight over at the Anderson Snow soccer fields. It flew perfectly. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Nov 04, 2007, 10:03 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
Cliff, love the goose. You all know how my brain has been canardful lately so this idea shouldn't be a suprise.GWS Islander bash. Will have a Eskay 400 XT bl motor as a pusher in the tail and aileron and elevator controls as a handlauncher for now.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 06:37 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,996 Posts
Your canardful brain has again come up with a cool design! I can see some kind of "birdish" or symbolically "birdish" graphics flaring out on the wing from the root or mid-span and expanding out and back to the tip. Or even this >>
Old Nov 05, 2007, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,485 Posts
Cliff, That is so beautiful !!!! If we could only make it grow to full size, I would gladly take the controls. I'll bet your lovely Joyce had a hand in that art work. Why don't you make a low winger like the Egret. All I did on it was to reduce the same wings by 10% and draw in a fuselage which placed the front wing at four inches above the bottom of the rear wing with 3.5 degrees of incidence. the distance between LE's is 10% less than the Goose. It is rock solid stable and does perfect axial rolls due to the low wing. ACE, I like your design. Will you put an EDF on top? Sorry that your Jeep went to the shop and hope you can recover from the expense soon. I wish I could borrow your brain to come up with something new and exciting. Right now the SSX has me in it's grasp and I recommend it with either front wing. The symetrical wing allows outside tricks and I may use a similar airfoil fo a future canard. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict