HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:11 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,275 Posts
,Charles,great to hear of your sucess. that is a sweet lil stick. Tom, thanks for that comment,it's nice to know I have a following to my off the wal ideas.To be truthful it really started through this thread and I owe it all to the contributors but mostly Charles.
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,365 Posts
Kyle, That was very kind of you! You have been hanging in since the thread started in December 2005 and your interest has helped keep the spark in me alive. I would like to hang around for many more years to keep an eye on your progress. Your energy is contagious! Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,275 Posts
Thanks,if I could turn that energy into motivation this Long EZ would be done. I guess with it being halloween night and the neighborhood kids going to want candy that will keep me busy
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Ace, I have been absent from this thread for quite a while. Fill me in on the Long EZ you are about to build. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 31, 2007, 09:30 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,275 Posts
Tom, this Long Ez is from Dr. John and is laser cut depron with carbon reiforcement and torque rods. I got the kit a few months ago but just finally started today. Inspector Gadget has also built one but decided to modify to suit his slower flying needs and I will be keeping mine per John's original plan.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
Where in this thread can I find out about it.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 05:52 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Tom,

Post #1151 has pics of Inspector Gadget's build. Both his and MustangAce's are beta builds. As soon as I get my A4D kit sorted out I will get back on the LongEZ.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:51 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
Slow Stick X - Canard VIDEO

Here is a LINK to videos of Canard Addict's latest creation

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:00 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
John, does that mean it will become a kit eventually. I'm interested. Tom
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:09 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Tom,

Yes, Keep an eye on www.drjohnslaser.com for further updates.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:17 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
O Tay !
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:50 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
John, The two wing areas on the SSX are 492 and 116.3 which makes it 23.6%. I believe a flat bottom airfoil up front would have helped to hold up the nose in the upright position but would have probably hurt the inverted performance. I like the way the canard feels now, It seems to go UP or Down with the same ease as if it in neutral and happy at level flight. Inside and outside loops have the same stick feel. I believe that it could have been trimmed to zero by adding more shim under the TE of the main wing and leaving the ailerons with no reflex. I started out with 1.5 degrees positive incidence on the main wing and have not calculated where it is now since the shim was added. A symetrical canard,the wing of the Micro Stick, will be added to my SSX as a separate attachment and will add 4 more sq. inches. I will not change anything other than the CG to see how it performs at 3.5 degrees incidence. I'm glad you are still watching our thread. Charles
Like it! No No No, Loved it!
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2007, 12:08 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,509 Posts
STIX 'n stones

I sent this as a PM to Charles who sugested I post something, so I'll start by posting what I sent him which contains lot of redundant info for folks reading this thread >>

I really like your Stik Canard. Good job designing, building and flying!

I was born in St. Louis when my father was an engineer for Curtis-Wright, where they were working on this >> http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplane...t/ascender.htm

Once I asked him what THEY called the thing in the front and he told me "the stabilizer". It seems that just like the TV "remote control" got changed to the "remote" (in TN, the "remoke" sometimes), over the years the "Canard stabilizer" has become frequently called the "canard" by non-aerospace engineers. I generally call it the forward stabilizer, but in this design/product of mine (Airider >> http://store.countdowncreations.com/flyairider.html ) we finally called it the "control wing", since as the only movable surface (all-moving), in addition to pitch stabilization, that is its function, moving in 3-D and serving as combined rudder and elevator (ruddervator: control wing is easier).

So technically your entire airplane IS a "Canard" (configuration), but the small forward wing is a:

1. Forward wing

2. Stabilizer

3. Forward stabilizer

4. Stab

5. Horizontal stabilizer

6. Canard stabilizer

7. thing in the front

but NOT a "canard" (oh you can call me Ray, or you can call me Ray Jay, or you can call me R.J..... but ya' doesn't has to call me Johnson ....!)

Rest Regards/Happy Flips & Landings,
Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Nov 02, 2007, 12:15 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,202 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to practice good nomenclature

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Nov 02, 2007, 03:51 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,365 Posts
Lee, I appreciate your post and will try not to call it my favorite word. To me it must be called a wing because it provides that wonderful spread out lift which feels so great to control. Stabilizer must also be used since it automatically stalls and protects the stability of the main wing. I also like the way it controls the nose of the plane positively into the wind and gives me the ability to make great landings. Flying a canard model is my greatest kick but I still love to try a three point stall landing with my Four Star Forty which is about to get a new powerful outrunner.Thanks again for keeping us in line.I believe that "stabilizer" will do it for me. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict