SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Hi Charles, What is the canard area ratio for the Millenium SSX? The canard looks a bit smaller than normal to me. Do you think this model would perform differently or better with a flat bottomed airfoil on the canard?
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:10 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
John

Charles is in Florida this weekend attending an electric meet. I flew with him today at our club field here in Spring Hill before he headed over to the Zephyr Meet. He flew the SSX for us, and it does have a flat canard. It was getting pretty windy and the SSX handled it very well. He should be back in Georgia on Monday. That is me on the left with my Long EZ, my buddy Cliff in the middle with his just maidened Georgia Goose, Charles' design, and of course, the master himself, Charles. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Spring Hill, Fl. Maiden C Man's Ga. Goose

Last year at ZEFF, Cliff, RC Group's CMans, received a copy of my Ga. Goose rolled plans and also a copy of Randall's, Inspector Gadget's, CAD drawings of same. This year he flew the model at ZEFF. Cliff had the model ready for check out and test on Friday at the Spring Hill, Fl. Potter's Field. During the year, Cliff added his touch to the design and made it the truest Goose I have seen so far including mine. The wings were reinforced and are perfectly flat with no signs of warp. He added a horizontal removable wire at the CoG for accurate balance. The servos are mounted on removable plywood plates for easy access. He checked the canard incidence with his meter for exactly 3.5 degrees and alligned the wings to the fuselage and to each other. I tried hard but could not find a single fault with his construction. The power and radio system proved faultless. We faced it into the wind and with about two thirds throttle and 50 feet out it hit a bump and bounced into the air with a horizontal attitude and started it's climb with both wings holding the fuselage level. It gave stable performance at all speeds with no trim required. At 35 ounces AUW, He only added three ounces with improvements. Cliff is delighted and should ony thank himself for his model's stability. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 28, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
John 235, SSX

John, The two wing areas on the SSX are 492 and 116.3 which makes it 23.6%. I believe a flat bottom airfoil up front would have helped to hold up the nose in the upright position but would have probably hurt the inverted performance. I like the way the canard feels now, It seems to go UP or Down with the same ease as if it in neutral and happy at level flight. Inside and outside loops have the same stick feel. I believe that it could have been trimmed to zero by adding more shim under the TE of the main wing and leaving the ailerons with no reflex. I started out with 1.5 degrees positive incidence on the main wing and have not calculated where it is now since the shim was added. A symetrical canard,the wing of the Micro Stick, will be added to my SSX as a separate attachment and will add 4 more sq. inches. I will not change anything other than the CG to see how it performs at 3.5 degrees incidence. I'm glad you are still watching our thread. Charles
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:57 AM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,438 Posts
my latest endevour

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764284
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
ZEFF Visit

Check my ZEFF visit here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764284
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Millennium SSX Canard with Two Symetrical Wings

The standard SSX canard flys great but it should be even better with the Micro Stick symetrical wing up front. The looks will improve and it could put on a blinding light show. With real lift up there, I expect quicker up an down movements. It has four more square inches of area and I will add 18 more to the converted ailerons to elevator. The CoG will move forward with the added area up front. All you need is a Micro Stick wing, the short section of a fuselage stick and another nose wheel. Jkarpy was in favor of supplying these parts to canard builders. The standard nose assembly is removed just by opening the elevator clevis, removing the retainer screw from the stick splice and pulling the tape from the Light Tenna. It will be put aside for future use and a new front end will be made.The conversion is a snap and will only take a few hours. At present, I will leave the rear of the model as is and will install the new canard at 3.5 degrees of positive incidence. We will have a Model with two wings which will each lift it's share of the load while keeping the fuselage almost level. If you add lights proportionally, the added weight should not upset the CoG. The Micro wing weighed one gram less than the horizontal tail feathers of the standard bird and with 22 sq. inches more area, it will require a heavier loading. Pictures with captions will show you how. Please note that this change has not been tested and you may choose to wait until the flight performance is fully trimmed. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Sep 04, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Advise of untested construction.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 09:02 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,438 Posts
looking forward to the conversion Charles.Good luck,might see you at another fly in this year since I decided to try to find a career related job soon
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Millennium SSX Micro Wing Addition

Today, the wing tips were added to fill in,the hinges were installed, the wing was glued to the stick, the nose gear was made and a nose block was built. It will be necessary to add some weight due to the 30% canard size. The CoG is now at 15.5 inches behing the canard LE.The finished assembly weighs about the same as the previous one and rather than add lead, I will add about 1.2 ounces with a 2000 mah TP Lipo. The battery weighs 4.2 ounces and should move the CoG forward the one inch needed. The model will be about 19.3 ounces when complete. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Numbers Change
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:22 AM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,438 Posts
Looks like I found what I needed for my F-88 scale up to 90mm.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...12#post8462068 now just need the $ lol
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:20 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Ready to Test

It was an easy job. The TP 2000 mah battery was ordered at 4.2 ounces so there will be only 1.2 ounces gain over the previous nose. The new canard is 30% of the wing in area which is right on target for my favorite ratio. Today, I strapped on a TP 2100 battery for the test at only 0.5 ounce heavier. The wind seems a bit high and gusty so late afternoon may be better. A report will be made after the test. Charles
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,438 Posts
looks great Charles. I finally decided to build the 36" long ez from john.Currently sanding the edges of the parts
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Thank you Kyle. Glad you got the LEZ. Good luck on your job hunt. Charles
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
Charles, is your new canard wing for the SSX one of the main wings off the little biplanes that company produces? I was eyeing their mini stick and thinking of building a canard from that using your conversion of the SSX as a guide. But, I just got the Long EZ flying well with the new steerable nose wheel and will probably campaign that for a long time to come. Oh yes, for the guys who weren't with Charles, Cliff, and me at the field last Friday, my new steerable nose wheel worked perfectly. Thanks for the inspiration.
Kyle, you sure have a fertile imagination. I love seeing the model designs you come up with. Very ingenious. Keep it up, and let us know how they all work out. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:46 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,470 Posts
Micro Stick Wing Used. Tested Today.

Tom, The wing used came from a single wing Micro Stick. It has 146 sq. inches area. The biplane will be available in a couple of weeks per James and I do not know how big that wing is in area. At the park today, the SSX took off and climbed out nose up with the added area up front and the new lift. The 2100 battery took it straight up toward the moon with it's lower resistance and generous current output. A Thunderbird 18 is being used and it was taking 15 amps with the 1320 battery. The new static current will be measured soon. The Stick was landed and the reflex on the aileron was changed back to neutral. It now flies level at full throttle. The big surprise was that it performs even better with the added weight and will fly longer. This is really a fun model and I am glad to have it in the fleet. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Apr 27, 2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Error Micro Stick Wing Area from 120 to 146