SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:34 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Millennium SSX canard. LG, Canard Mount, Canard

At this stage, I had to find if my favorite canopy glue would stick to the fiberglass fuselage stick. I dulled the surface with sand paper, cleaned it with denatured alchohol and glued a piece of balsa wood to it. The next day I tried to pull the wood away and it left splinters in the glue. I made a landing gear, a 3.5 degree canard mount with battery mounting board below and modified the horizontal tail into a canard. Thanks to the removable front fuselage section, I can make a new assembly if the design here is wrong. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:57 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Millennium Canard Slow Stick X FinishingTouches

The model is finished except for the nose extension which may add 1/4 ounce for the final balance. The model's quality exceeded my expectations and I am happy with the way it fell together as a canard. The weight now is at 17.3 ounces. Can anyone tell me if the weight is in line with the average forward Stick? I am not happy with the range check because it becomes marginal at about 60 feet with collapsed antenna. To fix that would require an ESC a few tenths of an ounce heavier and a smaller amount on the nose to balance. I will show details of the component placement and wiring later. The testing will depend on weather conditions. I feel good about it's chances to fly well. Charles
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
SSX Maiden a Winner

At the park this AM with a 5mph bumpy breeze, the SSX did a smooth ROG with a little UP elevator. It required 1/2 of the UP trim for level flight but aileron trim was not needed. The main wing at about 1.5 degrees positive incidence had the edge on the canard for lift and a 1/16" shim under the main TE should result in neutral elevator for level flight. The motor has lots of power for inside and outside aerobatics from level flight. The axial roll at full aileron was as fast as my Dixie Delta foamie. The landing gear wires proved to be just strong enough to do the job and no more which is what I had hoped for when trying to save weight. Pictures follow showing component placement and after maiden. Charles PS, The 1/16" shim was added in the PS of post 1200.
Last edited by canard addict; Nov 11, 2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added final sentence
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:43 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Charles,
I am glad that the maiden went well with your new canard. I flew the PMPJohh Long-EZ last week and discovered that there was not enough incidence in the canard/elevator for me. It took full up elevator to keep it in the air so I landed and adjusted the COG towards the rear a little. I took off again and made another circuit having to use full up again and this time when I throttled back for landing, just the slight reduction in speed resulted in a wing stall and she nosed in. Minor damage to the nose, and I re-built the canard/elevator increasing the size of both, and increasing the incidence.
After another try this weekend it flew much better, but still had limited elevator control. My next step is to move the COG back to see if I can't get more elevator authority. If that doesn't help I will continue to increase the canard/elevator size until I can get her to fly as sweet as my Shinden.
I look forward to seeing your new creation and flying with you again at ZEFF.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
Last edited by InspectorGadget; Oct 17, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Sorry I got to the field to late to see her fly. I was able to get the smaller version to fly well without deviating from the scale planform by playing with the CG and mixing elevator to flap to get more pitch control. If set up with flaperons on your DX7 you can then use the flap trim control to adjust the aileron reflex.

I won't see you this Sunday since I will be at the Jet fly-in at Cape Coral but I will be at ZEFF the following weekend.

Here are some pics I snapped at the field before any modifications.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Long EZ Set Up

RL Inspector, I look forward to seing you and John at ZEFF. Where did the year go? I believe that canards with lots of main wing area and small canards like the EZ and the Shinden need plenty of power to do well. The EZ does 200 mph and the Shinden over 450. The CG's will be close to or into the main wings LE which in my opinion gives the main wing most of the authority especially on a model with the low reynolds number. This calls for a larger canard just as many conventional types have larger horizontal tails. I believe that three cells are essential for your model. I also believe that the main wing must have a small angle of attack relative to the thrust line so it will not develope too much lift until the canard lifts off and gives it permission to raise the back of the model. I would hesitate to move the CG back further. If you increase the canard area, then the CG moves forward. If the main wing has too much positive incidence, you may want to add a bit of UP position reflex to the ailerons to kill some lift and give the canard a chance to take control of the rear wings angle of attack. Your canard has a high aspect ratio which tends to stall quicker than the low AR type.I hope that this rambling will help with your task. John's design is beautiful and since his flys so well, he probably can spot the problem with yours.
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 18, 2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Remove sentence
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:11 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,076 Posts
Charles, good to see you are still at it. Looking foreward to seeing you at the Zephyr Meet. I will be there on Friday and Saturday so I will miss Cliff's maiden flight on his
Georgia Goose on Friday at our field. Maybe I will put a steerable nose wheel in my Voyager and bring it over, but I have several models to sell there so they take front row. If I sell a few on Friday I will consider bringing the Voyager as long as I can get that nose wheel to turn. I hate having it go where ever it wants to, especiall with that many people around. Be well, and see ya soon. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:24 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,451 Posts
Charles,the SSX canard is another winner.Looking forward to seeing it at ZEFF and please also bring the Egret,I won't have the GA Goose or B Squared flying due to lack of time and to many arfs to finish but will have the Long EZ 36 and probably John's long ez.I bought a Protech Alpha Jet to use a 40 size outrunner in and talking about the conversion and he said I shouldn't use the fake intake ducts to reduce drag and in the process using them to make a fuse turned into this. Just another design out of my head.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Last edited by MustangAce17; Oct 17, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Tom, I look forward to Seeing you at ZEFF. Hope you guys can order gentle breezes. I took the Voyager out this AM and after reading Mooreman's description of the barrel roll in RC Report using aileron and elevator, I tried it and turned out to be a great trick for the Voyager since the axial roll is a little sloppy. I can only bring two models to ZEFF. My choices are the Egret, Ga. Goose, Millennium SSX and D Squared. Which two? I can leave the Goose here since Cliff will have his. It can be the Egret and one of the other two. Any Preferences? ACE, Your ideas a dynamite!! My head spins. I hope you will experiment with the canard types. Charles
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,451 Posts
Thanks Charles,the ideas have been a plenty lately,guess that's what happens when you have parts laying around from previous crashes.It causes my arf building to go on hold but gives my brain a workout. I'll have the Sabrenard at ZEFF to,forgot about that one.Well as far as your choices you know I loved flying the D Squared but want to see the SSXC fly to so I'll leave that decision up to you.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn
Sorry I got to the field to late to see her fly. I was able to get the smaller version to fly well without deviating from the scale planform by playing with the CG and mixing elevator to flap to get more pitch control. If set up with flaperons on your DX7 you can then use the flap trim control to adjust the aileron reflex.

I won't see you this Sunday since I will be at the Jet fly-in at Cape Coral but I will be at ZEFF the following weekend.

Here are some pics I snapped at the field before any modifications.

John
John,
Thanks for the photos and suggestion. I am usung only 1 servo for the ailerons, so the mixing trick will not work in this case. I will let you fly it at ZEFF and then maybe we can come up with a solution, if one is even needed. It may just be pilot error ;-)
Have fun at the jet fly-in and I will see you at ZEFF.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
LongEZ Steering Mod

Here's how I modified my Long EZ Voyager with steerable nosegear, Tom. I bent 3/32" MW for the gear, shimmed with brass tubing to get a good fit through the existing hardwood block and nylon control horn. I had to trim the horn length to fit the narrow nose bay. An HS-81 servo is mounted in a lite-ply tray glued to the fuselage side (explaining the nasty hole cut to access the mounting screw) with a generous shock-absorbing bend in the pushrod to the control horn.
I had to be attentive to clearance of the elevator servo and control horn immediately above this assembly ... or it would've been another example of my construction credo: "Any worth doing is worth doing twice."

PJ
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:07 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,076 Posts
Thanks PJ. I will do exactly as you did. I don't fly mine much because of the lack of streering. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,451 Posts
Mine still needs a repair but thanks to PJ I'll probably do the steering mod also.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Voyager Steerable NG

Thank you PJ for the details. Your post has inspired me and surely other Voyager owners. Charles