HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2007, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Millennium SSX Canard

Some work has been done as the pictures will show. The wing tips were removed easily after the yellow film was heated around the tip rib perimeter to assure it would stay put. I found a roll of red transparent light film to cover the winglet rudders with. The Hacker A20-26M with APC slow flyer 9-4.7 prop was mounted to the Eflight adapter. The motor assembly will pull 15 amps max for 166 watts if the specs are correct. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 04, 2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Prop Size
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2007, 04:53 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
WOW,Magic, I hope you took those pictures and saw that 12 foot monster in the air!! I took these photos from Lennon's canard book shown in this thread. It is the best I could do and hope it helps. Charles
Charles - I wish I'd taken those pictures; they were merely the result of a Google search. Those 3-views you provide look great, and should be sufficient from which to draw plans. Thank you!
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Oct 04, 2007, 07:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
In Don Belfort's column in the latest Flying Models, he ran some shots of his 1/3rd scale Quickie electric. He talked about scaling it up off his S400 version, which was somewhat derived from the RCM 1/4 scale plan.

IIRC, the latter is nowhere near scale - though I could be thinking of another Quickie plan. I have vague memories, but no photos, of getting near a two seater Quickie in England years ago - has to be pre-1988, as it was while I was still flying for a living. It was still tiny, though much wider and heavier than a single seater.

Don's biggy is still made mostly from holes trimmed with balsa strip!

Regards

Dereck
Who is doodling a semiscale canard based on the Despretz Flash ...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 05, 2007, 09:19 PM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
Good to see you Charles .
I had a Great time and was pleased to see your D Squared fly and I
was impressed with it really . BTY I want one of the plans you have left .
Keith
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Old Oct 07, 2007, 12:41 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Thank you, Keith, and I am sorry I missed seeing your flying wing tailless fly.We just returned from a huge Tullahoma gathering. Their photographer got some fantastic shots of the D Squared in flight. I will get some plans for you. Charles
Old Oct 07, 2007, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
5 Posts
canard addict

Charles,
Thanks so much for all your help in getting my Georgia Goose completed. It's maiden flight will be on Friday, 26 October with you at the controls. Sorry that it took so long to complete this model, but I'm a pretty maticulas builder and we've had lots of company during the summer. The motor I'm using is an AXI 280824 with a 35 amp esc and a 3 cell 3200 ma LiPo battery.
Cliff
cmans is offline Find More Posts by cmans
Old Oct 07, 2007, 08:28 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
cr, you'll love the goose. I flew Charles GA Goose at Hodges last weekend and loved it,I also got both the D Squared and GA Goose plans from him then and will try to have a reduced version of the D Squared at ZEFF.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 07, 2007, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Goose by Cliff

Cliff, I love your Goose, especially the bracing you added to the canard to keep it from twisting during covering. The removable nose piece is also nice to access the gear. I can't wait to help with the maiden and to fly mine with yours at ZEFF. ACE, maybe we can do a formation flight down there. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 07, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 09:29 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
Charles a formation flight would ge great fun
Old Oct 08, 2007, 10:42 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Millennium Slow Stick X Build

The landing gear wire was bent using 0.078" spring steel wire. The wire is a snug fit into the wheel hub and into the slot provided for it under the front wing mount. The pictures show how the motor and gear are assembled on the stick. The The tall wing mount is forward and the rear wing mount will be positioned 1/2" forward of the motor mount. With the wheel assembly attached, the top of the fuselage is 7.5 inches above the surface and gives the prop about 3" clearance. The wheels are 2.5" Maxx Products type included in the ARF. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Oct 16, 2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Wheel Description, Rear wing mount Position
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:06 AM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
looking good Charles. I pulled out the D Squared plans today and can't quite figure out where to start?
Old Oct 09, 2007, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
What wing span do you want, ACE Kyle? Charles
Old Oct 09, 2007, 09:05 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
Well I was gonna do a depron full size but not sure,gotta build Dr. John's long ez first,i'm not doing a retract nosewhell but will have functional rudders.
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:23 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Ace

The rudders on the LongEZ ( Full Scale ) only move out and not in. In practice they act more like offset air brakes, slowing the inside wingtip to cause a yaw in that direction.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:50 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Millennium Slow Stick X Canard Wing Mount

Since rubber bands are inconvenient here, Screws will be used to attach the wing. The wing will be mounted at slightly less than 1.5 degrees positive incidence, which in my opinion, will come close to the effective angle of my flat bottom airfoils. To accomplish this, a 3/32" thick piece of bass wood was glued on to shim up the trailing edge. After finding the LE and TE wing span centers, the wing mounts were drilled and attached for trial allignment. The wing was found to be within 1/16" error from 90 degrees to the stick. Charles PS, In post 1245, an additional 1/16" shim was added under the wing's TE for final trim. Just add it now and avoid the trouble later.
Last edited by canard addict; Nov 11, 2007 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Add last sentence