HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2007, 06:43 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Kyle

Any progress on the LongEZ? Inspector Gadget has his nearly complete.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2007, 08:13 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
John, haven't worked on it. Kinda need to see one to see how to shape the parts and such. I wanna do it right and nice,and I'm limited on my depron skills.Can u please tell RL to chime in on how he handled assembly as far as where to start.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:44 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,487 Posts
ACE, You must have some yaw stability. If you remove the winglets, what will you have left for it? Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Sep 04, 2007, 10:13 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Hey Kyle,

Thats what a beta build is all about. You figger it out and let me know how you did it. Once I get input from a couple of builders I can do a better job on the instructions or redesign for an easier build.

Here are some pics of how it should look.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 04, 2007, 10:31 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
ok John now that gives me a clearer picture,I'll start on it in the morning,thanks I'm also going to do a nose retract and clear canopy.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 10:37 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
Charles,the winglets are just for looks but maybe inhibit rol,one fell off one the last flight on takeoff but it flew better.the vert. stab will still be there and is large enough.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 07:56 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Charles, I am glad you have faith. I am still doubtfull about how to set the GC. I suppose I will just take the canard calculator at 10% static margin, and accept that as gospel, although for some reason I feel as though its a bit too far forward. I got a new prop adapter today and the vibration seems to be much less, but I haven't set up the final installation yet. Friday is a holiday in Sydney because of security for the APEC meeting which President Bush is attending. I am going away on a trip from now, so the covering and fit-out will have to wait for next week.

Captain Canardly, I look forward to hear of your results with the streamers. It would be intersting to have streamers on a few different points from the canard out to the tip. I think there are a number of interactions between the canard wake and the main wing. The canard dihedral on your model is particularly interesting, because the wing may perform differently depending on whether the canard wake flows slightly above or below the main wing. The issue of the upwash over the tips of the main wings is something I tried to consider in my design. It seems to me there may be a greater need for washout in the main wing for canard designs.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Sep 05, 2007, 10:41 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
John!
Will do!
When I looked at the shots on the site, they showed up far better than what I saw on the computer!
Many years ago,(18) Bill Kubiak was telling me that the gospel bottom line was that the downwash would be in the 3-6 degree realm, washing out the main wing, now he says he never told me that! I'll take the ribbons with me both ways- thermal and propped, and maybe we can see a difference. Bill took those pictures under great durress by myself and the heat, and then we went to his place to play computers.
More later--CC
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 05, 2007, 12:54 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Well, I am finally on my way to flying a duck, err... Canard. Lost Soul inspired my to buy one of those little Quickies. Its getting shipped today and I will have it Friday, according to the FedEx web site.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Sep 05, 2007, 02:46 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
It's a nice flying airplane. Do make sure to have the elevator going the right way though
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Sep 05, 2007, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,487 Posts
Smash, Glad you are with us. The Quickie is interesting but you young fellows can entertain us with it. John, at 10% SM on the calculator, it has never failed me on 14 canards.Be sure to leave the fuselage out of the span measurements. ACE, I failed to remember the third vertical fin on your model. Charles
Old Sep 05, 2007, 05:10 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
...Be sure to leave the fuselage out of the span measurements...
I'm not sure what quirks the canard C/G caculator may have written into it, but the standard practice in the vast majority of aeronautical design is to include the portion of the wing and tail that are inside the fuselage. The pressure fields on the upper and lower surfaces tend to carry across the fuselage top and bottom, so that the net pressure-generated forces on the fuselage in that region are essentially the same as what a wing in that region would create, if the fuselage wasn't there.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Sep 05, 2007, 05:31 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
LS: Is the CG in the manual good? I know there are a lot of instructions that, regretfully, really suck. I will be putting the build on the fast track for this one and would like to know ahead.

I have a H-L Birddog thats on the back burner, I will actually be using the equipment for this. I *will* be building the .40 sized RCM plan Quickie eventually, but, for $60, I can get this one going now.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Sep 05, 2007, 06:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,487 Posts
CG Calculator.

Don, I have figured the CG using both methods of measurement and don't recall the difference and why I decided to leave the fuselage out. I will run it again both ways for the Ga. Goose and will show the results. Charles
Old Sep 05, 2007, 07:45 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I flew it right at 40mm back as shown in the manual for the maiden and then a little bit forward for the second flight. Probably around 38mm or so. It seemed a bit tail heavy on the maiden but the 40mm is really darn close. Definitally use a beafy servo for the elevator. I'm using an HS-65 and it works out great. HS-55's for the other two.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul