SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
John235 and ACE, Thank you very much for the kind words, it makes it all well worth doing. It does fly smooth and I need to learn all it's characteristics. It does not like to be pushed up while inverted. I tried it and it rolled upright. The Egret is more stable when inverted. I do not have video of the Egret but maybe Randy can help again if we get a clear blue and calm day. I checked the canard incidence on D squared and found that I had put it at 3 degrees. I now remember doing it for fear that 3.5 might be excessive with the short coupling. I have erased and raised the plans to 3.5 degrees. My drawings are not complete with all details since I knew what to do and did not bother to show all. The plans are for someone who can use them and build as they wish with their own ideas. I took pictures all along which should help with the build. ACE, I will be at Hodges E fly and will have the plans you asked for. I now have 12 canards in my garage and must try to take a little longer between builds. I may order the EDF and try to give the Captain's glider a little cousin. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
John235, The Delta will fly slow with full up applied but with the short coupling the canard stalls suddenly just when the rear wing wobbles and drops a tip.I only tried this once and that's as I remember it.Maybe with 3.5 degrees it will do a smoother stall. I do not believe it can fall from the air. I did a few vertical stalls and it fell forward and backwards just like a conventional plane. The Egret is probably the most predictable and stable of all with smooth canard stalls with full UP elevator. Both models land gently with full control.I have never strained a LG on landing a canard probably because you have two wings to work with and the rear wing gently sets the main gear down if you hold the nose up a little. Charles
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:48 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
Thank you Charles,look forward to flying with you. I'll have the Sabre Canard, Rich model Long Ez, John's Long EZ and a few other planes.
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
I am only planning to build one canard this year, since I still have a 40 size electric sport model to build before the end of the year. If the my current canard project gives the results I am hoping it will, there's every chance I'll be building a larger version in 2008, at around 44" span, possibly using twin EDF. The details will depend a lot on what I learn from the current project. I am also interested in building an electric glider, so I really need to set my priorities!
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Thank you Charles for the information about the video. Now I have a hint where I can have a look for.

Tom
seven_up is offline Find More Posts by seven_up
Old Sep 01, 2007, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
D Squared Plans

I have posted under Electric Airplanes FS/W for four sets of plans remaining at my cost. Charles
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I got the replacement quickie finished up today and I managed to get a maiden out of it.

Here's the video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...43#post8106955

Was not without incident. The first trip to the field yeilded what looked to be a bad ESC as the new BP motor was not starting up although it had on the bench earlier in the day. Figured it was the speed controller since it has been through 3 crashes now. So replaced the speed controller and it still didn't work so replaced the motor with a 400XT from hobby-lobby on a 9x6 apc prop. As you can see in the video it flies the plane extremely well. Pushing 140 watts on the 9x6 prop with a 3 cell and it's quite fast. I didn't go much over 1/2 throttle the entire flight and the pack had tons of time left on it.

Landing this thing is interesting. It comes in incredibly fast and does require a good amount of space to land successfully. Due to the speed requirement the plane forces you to bring it down instead of creating a glide slope which is not something I'm used to doing. Neither landing was very nice but no damage to the plane. Definitally looking forward to flying it some more tomorrow.

Aerobatic flight was a non-issue. Loops and rolls, hammerheads, and split-s's were no problem with the plane. I found that I flew it on low rates mostly as that was more than enough for me. High rate was way to twitchy.

My only problem with the kit is the lack of a good way to secure the battery. Looks crazy in the air
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:49 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
Howdy Gang!
In a poor attempt to prove the downwash angle of the canard, I found that it doesn't matter which location- high or low , as the vortex ribbons I tried to show came in at a point which I believe doesn't affect the main wing's lift as much as I previously thought!
Cassette tape was used for the viewing, and doing it in person comes out far more clear than a beginner's digital camera!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 03, 2007, 04:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Howdy Captain!

As far as I know there isn't much significant downwash at the tip vortex. The vortex is circulating inward, so there is downwash inside the canard span and upwash outside the canard span.

Using streamers seems like a good idea, and I admire your effort to show the effect without using a wind tunnel... However, I think you need to move the streamers to mid span of the canard to correctly measure the downwash.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 06:40 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Fuselage construction

I have been busy building the fuselage for my project. The pictures tell the story. So far it all seems to be ok, including the balance point. I have tried running the motor and there seems to be heaps of thrust for a 18.5oz plane, maybe enough to take it vertical. The motor mounts on two pieces of alluminium angle (not shown). However, there is a problem with the amount of vibration from the motor. The tail fin seems strong, but above half throttle it resonates quite badly with the motor. I'll add some 1/4" balsa fairings on both sides of the tail fin immediately in front of the motor. That should make the assembly much stiffer. Painting the tail fin might help a bit and I'll try to get a prop adapter that is better balanced too.
Last edited by John235; Sep 04, 2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:52 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
Howdy john!
OOPS! yer right! I didn;t even think of that in the heat1 ohwell- guess I'll just have to do it right next weekend!
johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
LS, I enjoyed the Quickie video. It is the first successful one I have seen. I made comments on your video site. Captain, I want to make a glider canard much like yours with a ducted fan inside the fuse. for power. How much does your machine weigh? John235, I have faith that your canard will be successful and appreciate your build details.The motor should not vibrate and it must be from the prop assembly. Please use a magnet type balancer and make sure the center hole has no slop. If you get a canard to fly, you have a free pass to many more of the same since they are much more stable and forgiving than the normal type in my opinion.Two wings seem to balance out much better than one wing and a stabilizer. I had three long flights yesterday on D Squared and had fun with square elevator turns. It needs a round bottom wing because it flips out of inverted flight rather quickly. The nose high landing is beautiful and brought praise from the troops. Charles
Old Sep 04, 2007, 02:48 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
I flew the Sabre Canard again yesterday and I'm starting to get it dialed in better. After removing a full dollar in quarters off the tail it flies more level and lands nicer,didn't rip the gear out this time.I'm currently working on another design using the V-Diamond wing and fuselage but as a push pull canard similiar to the Rutan Defiant.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Seems you are catching on fast,ACE! The performance is better with the smallest weight removal. Charles
Old Sep 04, 2007, 05:30 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
Charles, I'm going to get a set of plans from you for the D Squared asap. I have a "baby squared" in mind with a 12mm medusa

and yes I am catching on fast lol, I was afraid to change the Sabre but it was surely for the better.I'm also thinking of removing the winglets completely.