HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Successful D Squared Maiden

The elevator trim was set to zero with full throttle and the model pulled up to a gentle climb with back pressure on the elevator. As the elevator was returned to neutral, it nosed down and required full up trim to fly level. The fast taxi with full up trim told the story as did the chuck glider at 3.5 degrees and a nose down glide. The plans need to show 4 degrees incidence on the canard. The roll is straight line axial and quick, Magic 612, and with UP elevator, the ship just rotates around the CG. I used aileron and elevator centering to put the ailerons at 1/8" UP reflex and the elevators at 1/16"+ DOWN with the trims at neutral. The second flight went well and there were two smooth landings with a click of UP trim. Randy at www.m-a-e.com has agreed to make a video for us soon. I am pleased with the flight characteristics which are much like the Egret which was used as the base layout. It is stable with no wobble at all speeds. Loops and inverted flight looked good. The plans are in four small sheets and if anyone wants a set,I will run them off at cost. It is simple construction and a quick build. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
The roll is straight line axial and quick, Magic 612, and with UP elevator, the ship just rotates around the CG. ...............I am pleased with the flight characteristics which are much like the Egret which was used as the base layout.
Good to hear the maiden was successful!

Charles, did you find that the controls felt any different using the linked elevons / canard set up? Any other thoughts on the handling?

The one maneuver I found that really was different was pulling out of a dive: From straight down, my J1-31 (which has that same linked setup) would snap out of a dive into horizontal flight much more quickly than any other canard or standard plane I have.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:13 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
HI Charles, I am glad to hear it went well. How is the landing speed compared to the Egret. Can it fly at high AOA?

I am looking forward to the video.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Magic 612, The control is probably the best ever.I set it at 100% end points with 50% expo and I like the way it feels. I pulled UP from level and could tell the rear wing was tucking under. Also the roll is positive with ailerons on both wings. The landing approach looks great with the nose high while the main wing is level. Without your control scheme this model would just be another of the same. Thanks again! Charles
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
John235, I know from the RAMS experience that this model will just creep in at nose high attitude because of the compact wing area. Weather permitting the video could be taken tomorrow. I look forward to learning to fly this little guy much better. I was nervous today and did few tricks. Charles
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:59 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Magic 612, The control is probably the best ever.I set it at 100% end points with 50% expo and I like the way it feels. I pulled UP from level and could tell the rear wing was tucking under. Also the roll is positive with ailerons on both wings. The landing approach looks great with the nose high while the main wing is level. Without your control scheme this model would just be another of the same. Thanks again! Charles
Awesome! Great to hear, Charles. I'm glad you like that set up - I'll definitely be employing it again myself in a stick-built J1-31, and perhaps other future canards as well. It's a bit of extra work to do it right, but I do like how well a canard flies using that configuration.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
Congratulations Charles! I was sure D Squared would fly great! I think I'll just have to build one now that yours has flow,. Please let me know how much the plans would cost shipped to 34474.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Randy at www.m-a-e.com has agreed to make a video for us soon.
Guys & Gals -- You can check out the video HERE.

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Thanks, Randy for the excellent work against the tough grey background. I promise to practice my right turns for next time. Charles
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
Randy, will you please post this video in "electric videos" also, my comp. will not allow me to view it off the desktop. Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Info to Canard-video

Hi, I found a link to this video in this forum

http://www.ultraligero.net/Media/Videos/ulm/191.html

it shows a very stable and slow flying REAL canard. Does anyone have some information e.g where it is build etc.?

Would be great!

Thanks

Tom
seven_up is offline Find More Posts by seven_up
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
It looks like the Goldwing to me. It is available as a home build or factory built. It has a sister ship named Goldduster. 25 hp Zenoah,empty 250 pounds.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
I loved the video. The D^2 looks very stable and the controls appear to have good authority. It seems quite the opposite to the video of the Shinden that flys with more of a nose up attitude. I wonder if it might be due to the low wing loading in the case of the D^2. It was well flown by the pilot too.

Are there any videos of the Egret?
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:02 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
Randy, will you please post this video in "electric videos" also, my comp. will not allow me to view it off the desktop. Thanks
Sure thing! Here's a LINK

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:10 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
thanks a bill Randy.Charles, I'll be coming to the Electric event at Mac's Sept. 29 most likely and would like to get the Ga Goose and D Squared plans from you. Thanks

EDIT, I"m IN LOVE with D Squared! it flies excellent! great job Charles!
Last edited by MustangAce17; Aug 29, 2007 at 08:25 PM.