SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2007, 06:53 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Ace,

I flew the model at SEFF but I guess you missed it. I will bring it to Morriston.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2007, 08:59 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
John

John, one of my flying buddies sons keeps his UltraLite at the Hernando County airport, and there is a guy there with a Long EZ. He wants to see my model, and I want to see his LEZ. Maybe I will get lucky like you. Guess you could call Mike's UltraLite a canard, even though both wings are the same. Pitch is controlled by the front wing. It's a spin off of the Flying Flea.
I am planning to go to Morriston. Hope to see ya there.

PJ, get that model of yours flying so we can have more imput on these things. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old May 06, 2007, 09:32 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
...Guess you could call Mike's UltraLite a canard, even though both wings are the same.
That's referred to as a "tandem wing" arrangement.

At the fundamental level there is nothing different between a canard, a conventional tail, or a tandem. Each simply represents one location along the continuum of what are called "two-surface" aircraft.

Quote:
Pitch is controlled by the front wing. ...
One thing you have to be careful of with that setup is the pitching moment of the movable wing. If you have a conventional positive-cambered airfoil on that wing, then it makes a nose-down aerodynamic pitching moment that gets stronger as airspeed increases. The hinging arrangement also is a factor. If you get into a high-speed dive, this could overpower the pilot (or in the case of an R/C model, the "elevator" servo), forcing the aircraft into an even steeper, probably unrecoverable dive. The original Flea had some problems along these lines, and a series of fatal accidents as a result.

Conventional tails aren't necessarily immune to this either. For example, the Martin Seamaster four-engine jet flying boat bomber had an adjustable horizontal stabilizer for pitch trim. Unfortunately they sized the actuator for it a little too small. During a test flight, the loads on the actuator overcame it, driving the stabilizer into full nose-down trim position, resulting in a fatal crash.

This just happened to occur at the worst possible time, when the program was the political "rope" in a game of tug-of war over the future of aircraft carriers in the US Navy. A squadron of Seamasters, refueled by submarines, could conceivably (according to its proponents) do the same force-projection job as an aircraft carrier, but covertly, faster and a lot cheaper. The crash provided the aircraft carrier proponents just enough ammunition to get the Seamaster program killed.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old May 07, 2007, 05:35 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Conventional tails aren't necessarily immune to this either. For example, the Martin Seamaster four-engine jet flying boat bomber had an adjustable horizontal stabilizer for pitch trim. Unfortunately they sized the actuator for it a little too small. During a test flight, the loads on the actuator overcame it, driving the stabilizer into full nose-down trim position, resulting in a fatal crash.

A simillar problem has bought down an airliner or two........but that may have been to do with the bolts fixing the actuator.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old May 07, 2007, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Airboat sent this in. It is a fun video on the Varieze. Charles http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76902787843617
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old May 07, 2007, 09:22 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,405 Posts
neat!
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old May 07, 2007, 09:56 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Tom

I hope you get a chance to go up in the 1:1 LEZ and get your hand on the stick. Just remember there is no expo! See you in Morriston. I'll be the guy with the Dobies.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old May 08, 2007, 06:15 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Its worth searching around Google /U tube for material there are some quite instructional/revealing clips featuring Canards but you have to try various permutations of names and descriptions ..then look whats next to it as well.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old May 08, 2007, 08:12 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Me to. I haven't flown anything in over 20 years. See ya at Morriston.
Old May 09, 2007, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Fun Thread from Airboat

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3329077/tm.htm
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Last edited by canard addict; May 09, 2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 09, 2007, 06:30 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
pj, how is your Long EZ coming? I will be taking mine out again on Friday. Added some up trim and some reflex in the ailerons. Leaving the CG as is for now. Also moved up to a 10 x 7 APC E prop. I think she will fly at 1/4 throttle now.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:04 AM
Displaced Cajun
Harpers Ferry, WV
Joined Dec 2003
10 Posts
Tom,

I'm anxious to see how your EZ flew with the latest mods....I flew mine (for the first on Sunday) and experienced the same things you did on your maiden (full up elevator needed and unstable flight) but unlike you, I did receive a little/minor damage on a hard landing. I have my CG set at 16" and I also had no reflex set.
tommycajun is offline Find More Posts by tommycajun
Old May 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Tommy, we have been having terrible smoke problems down here in Florida from the Georgia wildfires. Today the winds are out of the east and it is pretty clear, and I just got back from flying my 1911 Taube. Wednesday I will take the LEZ out again and try it. Mine was plenty stable, and I managed two or three circuits around the field before being cleared for landing. It was just that the elevator was at full up. I slowly reduced power and she just settled to the ground and made a perfect landing. I'll keep ya posted. Anyone else out there in the shadows flying one of these things? We need more input. Tom
Old May 14, 2007, 11:51 AM
Displaced Cajun
Harpers Ferry, WV
Joined Dec 2003
10 Posts
Tom,

I managed a few laps myself but it felt like the nose wanted to pop way up after every little breath of wind that came up (winds were light at best). And my landing wasn't too pretty either...managed a nice stall at about 10 feet up! I'm just suspicious of the CG...felt tail-heavy to me...
tommycajun is offline Find More Posts by tommycajun
Old May 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Anyone else out there in the shadows flying one of these things? We need more input. Tom
Tom,
Actually I have been flying mine, BUT it is on my Real Flight G3. I happened on the Knife Edge forum and found 1 to download. It flies real nice and I have made a few adjustments. I was surprized to find that someone had actually designed a Long EZ for this simulator.
I can fly mine anytime regardless of wind or smoke. LOL
Continued good luck with yours and I hope to see you at Morriston.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget