HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2007, 07:14 AM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz
...thx ,Charles....any plans to compete in the annual soarstar/wingo race with the "mickey duck"? ...i like that ...and i just happen to have a soarstar laying around(pieces of one anyway)...I see yet another canard looming in my future..
SEFF has eliminated the SoarStar/Wingo race this year and replaced it with a COX Warbird race.

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:42 AM
I post, thread dies!
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2003
205 Posts
Vari Viggen Plans

Hi Charles,

I have a scanned copy of the 18% scale Vari Viggen plans by Burt Rutan. They are in .jpg format.

Got them many years ago, even built one.

These are glow plans (.40 size) but thought you might interested them anyway. The plans sheets are sized to print on 11x14 paper and the instructions are on 8.5x11 paper.

The plans are on a web site, PM me for the link.

Also, finally flew my .40 size Starliner that I converted to electric, Medusa 28-56-1900 4.3:1 gear box, 12x8 prop, 8s M1's (A123). Even tho it is .5 lbs heavier, it flies just a good as it did on .45 glow, and almost as noisy too!

Later!
Chuck...
cwesh is offline Find More Posts by cwesh
Old Apr 05, 2007, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,365 Posts
Cwesh, Any pictures of the Viggen and new electric Starliner to post? What voltage are you using on the medusa? Randy, the warbird race sounds interesting and I hope to see it if it is on Saturday. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Apr 05, 2007, 04:47 PM
I post, thread dies!
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2003
205 Posts
Hi,

Here is a picture of the cover of the Vari-Viggen plans, don't have any pics of the one I built, that one is long gone (30 years gone).

The Starliner I converted is also posted, only the picture still shows the glow engine, cover up the engine and you have it. All I did was to remove the glow stuff, tanks, pushrods, etc., and mount the electrics. The voltage is 22 volts pulling 37 amps for ~814 watts.
cwesh is offline Find More Posts by cwesh
Old Apr 08, 2007, 09:35 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
No test flight yet Charles, but she's ready. Been too windy, and a direct cross wind at that. We will be in NY for 10 days. Be back on the 20th.
Be well, Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
Near Koblenz
Joined Oct 2006
281 Posts
Hello,

I got that Voyager from Nitromodels too, some time ago.
They must be selling like crazy, because all of them are going to crash with the wrong CoG from the plan.

Mine did too.
I buildt a steerable nosewheel from the fixed one which comes with the kit. The first location of the servo was just under the elevator. A lttle adjustment was neccessary, because the servo for the elevator is in the same area. Then I put the plane together and found the CoG way too much to the front (with the WRONG CoG from the plan, of course). So I moved the servo all the way back behind the battery compartment.
But with the wrong CoG from the plan, which is BEHIND the Main gear, the plane always sat on its back. So I decided to move the CoG 1" to the front, just to keep the plane on all 3 wheels (CoG 18" from LE canard).

With this CoG I tried my first flight. Like someone already described in another post, my plane jumped into the air without elevator movement and crashed back. As also described in another post, the design for the main gear attachment is a piece of junk. The small plywood part is just glued onto thin balsa sheet. It was ripped off with a part of the fuselage. My self-designed nosewheel could be bent back. Nothing broken there.
The motor, which comes with the plane, is to weak. I put in a Plettenberg with the same size, but a lot more power (no brushless).

I repaired the fuselage with a big sheet of glassfiber and some epoxy. The CoG was now changed to 14,5" from LE canard (by comparison with another Long EZ). I thought that nothing could go wrong, if it is too much forward. The elevator just could't lift it up. And that's what happened. With full elevator up it couldn't lift off! Unfortunately the runway endet, befor I could stop it. It bounced into the dirt, the prop hit the ground and the motor came loose.

Then I found these posts in RCGroups, which helped a lot. So my next flight attempt will have a CoG of 16" from LE canard.

Unlike for some other Nitromodell-planes, there is nothing mentioned about how to fasten the wings to the fuselage. I put in 2 hooks and a rubber band, but that is not enough. So I added 4 strong magnets at the end/TE of the wings.
BTW the original wingjoiner was too loose. The wings hung down some 5 degrees. So I buildt a new one from plywood which fits perfectly and keeps the wings straight.

Now I am waiting for less wind to try it again. The pictures of the flying Voyager look great.

I already buildt a canard, which looked like the FW-42. Unfortunately the (Foam)wings broke in flight. There is another Nitromodel Long EZ Canard waiting (the yellow one). I'll convert it to brushless. And I have the last prototype from Dieter Schall (called Callisto), which is waiting for a new canard and 2 Motors. But I need a lot more experience for that.
I liked the Slowstick-conversions.
G_eronimo is offline Find More Posts by G_eronimo
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,365 Posts
G eronimo, Thanks for joining in. You must be a canard lover and I admire your determination. Too bad that the suppliers can't come up with a decent CG for their canards. I guess I was lucky to get a Voyager which must be above average contrary to what I thought. We have had so much variation in wind and temperature that mine has not been flown near enough. I want to remove some nose weight and try to go with neutral ailerons. It really flys great but I just want to see if it can be flown without the UP reflex. Where did you get the foam twin? Charles
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
Near Koblenz
Joined Oct 2006
281 Posts
Hello Charles,

I guess, the error in the plan was made during translation. But even the picture (no. 19 in the plan) SHOWS the incorrect CoG BEHIND the main wheels.

The other picture shows my FW-42, which I buildt from scratch. The Fuselage is Depron. The original size of the Rudder was doubled after the first flight. The picture here shows the first version.
I didn't paint it in camouflage, as there was no original plane buildt.
The wings were buildt with some type of flexible green foam and depron spars and ribs. I should have added some carbon, because it broke during fllight.
I still have the fuselage. I tried to fly it with some sailplane wings and 2 speed 400, but it didn't work too good. Next time i'll try it with the wings from my Twinstar.
Unfortunately the Twinstar crashed too a few days ago, while testing a new double esc with rudder mixing funktion buildt in. We have some problems here with 72 MHz. The 2 motors can be used like a rudder function. It even works on the ground for manouvring without a steerable nosewheel. This device should go into my Me323, if it works properly. The Me323 has no wheel to steer (no nosewheel, no tailwheel, see picture), so this mixing esc is the only way for steering on the ground.

Ulrich
G_eronimo is offline Find More Posts by G_eronimo
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:51 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
I'm back. Hopefully I will test fly my Long EZ on Monday. If she flies well I just might bring it to SEFF. Tom
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,365 Posts
It's good to hear that you are back safely,Tom, and I will be waiting for good news on the maiden. We spent a full day flying at the Chattanooga RC Club, my home town, and met PJ Wright and an old friend from Jr. High School. What a perfect cool and calm day for flying. I had the Ga. Goose, the Egret and the Pico canard. I must return to that field which sits high on a flat top land field with a paved runway and a stunning view of surrounding hills. Great char broild burgers were served and two of the members entertained with guitars and vocal duets. There were two members who were into canards and others who seemed interested. Charles
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:35 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
149 Posts
Charles with his Egret

Indeed -- what a great day at Summit Field, Chattanooga. We had about 50 folks at the field on Saturday, including the (in)famous "Canard Addict" hisself.
Thanks for the suggestions on my Voyager, Charles ... and I sure hope you and Pat can make it back.
We're on top of a closed landfill ... 200 acres with nary a tree. Of course, the methane vents have claimed a plane or two.
50'x600' paved strip and pavilion: www.crccflyers.org
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Last edited by pjwright; Apr 22, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:40 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Here is one from Sun-n-Fun John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
I once had a Kasperwing Ultralite and remember seeing those canards at various fly- in's in NY. I believe it's called a Peteradactyl. Not sure of the spelling, but they flew well. Ah, the old days.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Tom,

You are right and I'm not sure of the spelling either.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:33 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
John,it was great to run into you at Sun N' Fun Saturday. I'm trying to think of a way to do the elev. on my own design canard twin engine so I can have it at SEFF.
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17