HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
522 Posts
maiden in 4 hours

Thanks Nickchud. The CG calculator for Canards puts CG 20" behind the canards LE. Interesting that it's not stated as distance from the wing's LE.

The CG as calculated for a flying wing (my airfoil is MH45) would put CG further back, about 2" more. I guess that 2" difference reflects the work being done by this little canard, or "elevator trim tab" as I think Charles would call it.

We have 20+ forecasted for our site just north of the Muir Beach overlook. This 6 lb. monster will need it.

Maidening today!
Tick Point is offline Find More Posts by Tick Point
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
You're quite right TP. With the extra load per sq inch, you need a bit more lift and that usually means a bit more AoA, so it'll stall first. I also learnt the hard way that the canard has to start flying first as you launch it. With a hand launch, which I guess you'll be doing, I think it's a good plan to start with some up-elevator. I launch left-handed so my right thumb pulls back the elevator control. I'm not sure how you right-handers do it.

Good luck! I hope it goes well.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:21 PM
Lighting Up the Darkness
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Maiden Flight

Tick Point - hope your maiden flight went well. One good thing about "elevon trim tabs" being small, should facilitate penetration in those 20+ winds. You are brave!

My little GWS canard project is about half way completed. I still have to make a decision regarding the canard. I will probably play it safe and go for the tried and true flat bottom airfoil. (LOL, depending on how your maiden went TP, maybe I'll go with a set of trim tabs!)

I'm aware that I'm over doing it a bit with the steerable nose gear, but I am convinced that the 4" wheels will cut through the tallest of cow patties! Thank you for your thoughts on the dihedral canard option.
nightlightrepair is offline Find More Posts by nightlightrepair
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:48 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
TP's Shinden looks great. Should be a good flyer if it can be setup and sorted without any mishaps. A 6lb slope model will normally need a helper for launching. Wind conditions and turbulence on the slope adds another element of unpredictability, so the pilot needs to be ready on the sticks. Hopefully TP can find a volunteer to give it a decent launch into the breeze.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
GWS Slow Stick

nightlightrepair
Quote:
My little GWS canard project is about half way completed. I still have to make a decision regarding the canard. I will probably play it safe and go for the tried and true flat bottom airfoil. (LOL, depending on how your maiden went TP, maybe I'll go with a set of trim
I am thrilled that you are building the Slow Stick. It is a gentle flier with loads of fun. Mine has a new home with a friend who loves it and has remodeled and added his colors. Please refer to posts 7 and 15 for canard details. There is no need to bother with canard dihedral. The elevators are just over 1/4 of the canard's chord. Mine had a flat bottomed canard. The wing will need the cross bracing to keep tip flutter in check at loop speeds. The canard's incidence should be about 3.5 degrees greater than the main wing's incidence. Let me know if you have more questions.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:18 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Hi Charles!

Have you noticed that NightFlightRepair is from Loganville GA?

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Nick, Thanks for pointing that out. Loganville is the site of the Hilltop flier club and I may know nightlightrepair. I hope he will contact me.

Charles
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:38 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Guys,
Remember me from post #6702.
Yesterday I tried my cut down canard.
It crashed on take off, but it was my fault. I was afraid to give it more power. The good thing is it stayed horizontal. No more high alpha and wing rocking.
It broke one of the vertical stabs with motor attached to it. I didn't have a glue at the field, so I put it back in a car.
I got it all glued and ready to try it again.

Will let you know how it works.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Chrizz, Thank you for the link to more canard pictures than I have ever seen in one place. I believe one is of Magic 612 and another shows my Egret.

http://www.google.com/search?q=canar...w=1024&bih=641
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Rob...
Stayed horizontal and crashed? In my book that's a good landing. Can you do anything to reduce the AUW? You've got a very scary beast there. When you do add power things will be happening really fast.

I wonder how test pilots manage to maiden new fighter planes? I think they do a lot of high speed taxi-ing. Don't they?

Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:13 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Nick,
I am on my way now.
Maybe I should try it with 1300mAh first, that's like 3 oz less than 2200.

It wasn't really a crash. I wasn't prepared for giving it more power.
I just didn't know what to expect. I let it glide down.
I am ready now! LOL

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,736 Posts
Good plan!

Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:10 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
Chrizz, Thank you for the link to more canard pictures than I have ever seen in one place. I believe one is of Magic 612 and another shows my Egret.

http://www.google.com/search?q=canar...w=1024&bih=641
Hi canard addict!
You're very welcome! Google is our friend :-)
Chrizz is online now Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:55 PM
Lighting Up the Darkness
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
No doubt about that Chrizz....google IS our friend and all those beautiful canards make me wish skies were a little bluer here in the Atlanta area today.

Working on this little GWS project and, by my best-guess calculations, I'm going to need a 10 X 6 Pusher Prop for EP. I was surprised to not be able to find one anywhere in this size. APC makes a sport pusher in that size, but it's not EP. They do make a 9 x 6 pusher for EP, but no 10s. I decided to go with a wooden zinger 10 x 6 pusher, and I figure it will be plenty light enough. Do you guys have a preference on pusher props (brands, wooden vs. composite)?
nightlightrepair is offline Find More Posts by nightlightrepair
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:17 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
OK. I am back. Plane is in one piece. I flew it first with 1800mAh zippy. Next flight was with 2200 turnigy, which is heavier. And also mounted slightly forward. It was better.
Plane is still handful, but it can be flown.
Its extremely fast for its size.
I shot the video with my friend flying it with 1800 pack. He had it anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Every time he tried to give it more it would climb. When I flew it I had the CG about 1/2 forward and I think I could move it some more. That's for next time. I will also see how I can add some vertical stabs w/o adding too much weight.
Rob
IMG 1126 (2 min 52 sec)
RCG Plus Member