HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Conehead
Quote:
I thought that you were going to take the twin wing and put it on this new fuse. Now I know you are building a whole new airframe. Wow, looks great.
Only the fuselage is different to hold the single motor. The wings and tail were reduced to 93% of the Twin's dimensions. Hopefully it will fly just as stable as the twin. The rear wing was taken to the bottom.My hope is that it will have the neat look of the Icon. Thank you Orrin for your interest.

Conehead
Quote:
Glad the Icon-5 went so well. Everyone says there is some tail wag, some have drilled a small hole and put in carbon fiber rod to stop that, but I don't know if it helped much
They have had the fuselage break in two behind the motor and the rudder to lose it's strength and twist side to side. Maybe the water does soak into the foam.

I will report all faults with mine. It is still a beauty.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Canard Build

I have no name for this bird. It is unique because of the central power. I call it Single Duck in the transmitter but need a better name.

The canard wing build is meant to be my lightest ever. There are no hardwood spars. The strength comes from the 1/16" sheeting over 1/8" ribs, the 1/2" triangle LE and the 1/4" by 5/16" TE with a C section. The ailerons will be hollow. The film covering Solar Film Light will add strength. Each side is only 11.5 inches long but wide enough to not be stressed much.

My wish is that each of you will enjoy the final week of 2012 and look forward to a wonderful new year.

Charles
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Charles
Like the structure - who needs spars?

Have had several small electrics with this style of wing structure, though mine also had vertical grain webbing to make a spar less D box section. Which was probably good, as they occasionally flew the right way up for a while...

Would love to see the flock of ducks on your tranny memory list

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:58 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,664 Posts
Merry Xmas, Happy Holiday and a healthy, happy new year to all the good people who help to make this such such an interesting and informative thread.

I am looking forward to meeting up with you soon Charles.

:-) Nick

On holiday in Atlanta right now, I am just around the corner from Grayson Hobby. I brought my away kit of Tx, Rx, ESC, motor with me. Here is my canard holiday project. It's shamelessly copied and simplified from the very excellent Gripen by Steve Shumate so that I could build it in a day from a single sheet of Depron. I think it'll fly when I get to a space big enough.
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Last edited by nickchud; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,556 Posts
Merry Christmas all gentlebuilders!
here is my progress thus far with Sarah, a 2 meter sailbird!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Hollow Canard Elevators

A hollow elevator structure was chosen to save weight and for the angled front edge which can be hinged with Blenderm tape. There will be no open space on top and the bottom vee will be covered with plastic tape made for that purpose.
The construction takes patience but it will be worth it.

Charles
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,664 Posts
Nice work Charles. I specially like your cross-grain system.

Good to see your work again.

)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,037 Posts
Amazing work. Lots of patience, Charles must be related to Jobe. Wonderful construction the way I see it.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Probably not much longer to make than the dear old 'carve and sand' thick sheet alternative. Like the cross grained top sheeting - that will be one stiff structure.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Nickchud, Conehead, Dereck, Thank you for the attention and good comments. Dereck, you mentioned my canard fleet. Out of 24 canard designs, there are 11 left including the one under construction. Only one, the foam Soar Star conversion called Mickey Duck was totaled when the wing folded in an inverted climb. The remaining 12 were either sold, donated for raffles or given to friends. They were either foam, stick types or balsa ones made obsolete with improved versions. My current fleet will be hard to part with.

The cross grain used on the elevators seemed necessary due to the lack of those tiny ribs for support which proved to be a pain to cut and sand. So the cross grain is the product of trading lazy for easy. Overall, I am excited about a design which is a proven stable flier without the heavy power system with two motors, controllers and wiring. The build will be on hold during time with family at year's end. Hope the year ahead will be a bright one for all.

Charles
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,664 Posts
Thanks for your hospitality Charles

Good to see you again!

I got a sneak preview of the fuse on Charles' current project and I can say for sure that it's a whole new idea - beautifully built as usual - and that fuse will be light and rigid.

Many thanks for your help with this video of me learning to fly my first all-moving canard, interesting bits from a 5 minute flight. I reckon I can get up to10 mins from a 1300 mAHr, 3S1P battery, 2200kv motor and a 6 x 4 prop.
Gripen (1 min 22 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:43 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
First attempt at a canard design

HELLO ALL,
Although I have been a member for a while this is my first post! and my first attempt at a canard design I have begun to lay it out in Acad. I hope to begin construction in the coming week It is loosely based on a Long EZ I changed a few things and took ideas from other similar aircraft that I liked. I have yet to determine a power set up but I hope to make it light enough to power it with an 1100kv motor, a 30amp esc and 1300mah 20c 3cell that I have laying around. It might not be fast but I can always power it up later if it flies nice and when I can afford it. I plan to use de-papered dtf as the medium to keep it cheep and quick, as this is just a filler project until I can begin my P-38 Guillows conversion
Stang513 is offline Find More Posts by Stang513
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,664 Posts
LongEZ

Hello StanG

I'm delighted to see someone having a go at the Long EZ. I hope I can help. I have built a few Long EZ, Starship, and variants from different materials, (not DT Foam however), and I've had loads of help from the good people on this thread.

My first thought is that your canard won't be more than decorative unless you give it a bit more chord. You might get away with using elevons on the main wing. I've always gone for simple ailerons with elevators on the canard. Recently I've made my first effort with an all-flying canard and it works very well. Considering your priority to keep it simple, I've included a photo of the system I copied from this very excellent build thread by Steve Shumate. The CF tube I used was this from Grayson Hobby. If I can persuade you to go for Depron, they have 5 sheets for $20 plus delivery.

Please let me recommend white Gorilla Glue. Spread it very thinly and it will foam into the bubble spaces. Hold things in place with masking tape or clips. Ideal for Depron. I don't know why anyone uses foam safe CA - too brittle, the accelerator is smelly and it doesn't give you time to get things right. I hate the stuff. PS: I forgot to mention Uhu Por and I believe you have a good Elmar's contact adhesive, though I've never tried it.

Good luck, keep us posted.

One last thought.. rigidity is everything!

Last edited by nickchud; Jan 03, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,664 Posts
holiday Gripen

Here's a really successful outcome, with help from Charles.

Very high on the scale of fun to fuss.
JAS 39 Gripen Parkjet (3 min 1 sec)

Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,453 Posts
Nickchud, Thanks for the informative posts. It was fun flying with you yesterday. It was surprising to me how the Gripen responded so well to slight changes to the positions of the ailerons, the canard and the battery as you made them one change per flight and finally achieving stable inverted performance. All of that after a scratch build in a few days away from home.

Stang 513, welcome on board. The Long EZ style has been a popular subject here. Please share your experiences with it.

Charles