Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:33 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,513 Posts
That is definately tough bird equipment Nick!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:35 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
[QUOTE=Don Stackhouse;19454791]OK, one more time:

Humans have a phobia about not knowing. They cannot handle unanswered questions. If they don't have an answer, they will make one up. They would rather have a wrong answer, even one that they know is wrong, than have no answer at all.>

Thank you Don for this bit of wisdom. I didn't know you knew my wife, but this quote is spot on. She used to try this sthick out on me all the time, I saw through it and always replied, Do you Know what you are talking about? Finally she admitted she had no idea.

Sorry for the derail, but in reading all the pages I missed, this stuck out to me like hitting your thumb with a hammer.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,850 Posts
On the backward-flying WWI bipe idea - A transparent film covering over the interplane struts might be one way of addressing the yaw stability problem. This canard bipe flew well during its all too brief career.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:30 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,629 Posts
Any more thoughts on the Each Way Bet, Trevor?
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,441 Posts
No matter how crowded my garage is, I crumbled when I saw an Icon A5 fly at our field. It is a bit heavy but a beautiful piece of work with a strong landing gear. I will never expose it to water but can always see others fly them at the Stone Mountain Lake. It will have to reside in the basement until the present project is finished. It will certainly give me some incentive to finish work on the new Duck.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Any more thoughts on the Each Way Bet, Trevor?
No. I'm still in remission as far as that particular affliction is concerned!
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,441 Posts
Here is an interesting success story,

Charles

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&goto=newpost
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:10 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Charles,
A couple of fellows in my flying club have the Icon-5 and they fly them off the water all the time. Float planes are the cat's meow up here since many of us live on a lake. We have weekly and sometimes bi-weekly float flys. The Icon-5 looks really neat in the air and I am sure that you will like it a lot. It is a speedy flier, slows down some but needs power to land on the water for sure. None of the fellows fly it on land.

Enjoy it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

ps finally got caught up reading all the back pagers. You all have created some really neat airframes and there is some serious building and covering going on in this thread.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Charles
This has nothing to do with reversed donkey aviation types, but go find a pond and get that floatyplane's bottom wet!

I've had three Pondside/Puddlemaster floatyflyboats and always have LazyFloats for my Lazy Bee. Shooting splash and go's is real good fun - you have to try it at least once.

Like Orrin says, you don't touch down on water aiming for close to a stall as the wheels touch ground, you fly smoothly onto the water so the model doesn't stop like it will if you shoot for a wet version of a 'three pointer'. That way, you slip on the power and off you go again without the model stopping.

Back to normal programming

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,441 Posts
Dereck
Quote:
This has nothing to do with reversed donkey aviation types, but go find a pond and get that floatyplane's bottom wet!
Conehead
Quote:
None of the fellows fly it on land.
Dereck and Conehead, How do you guys think that I can protect my reputation of being Mr Backwards if I do what all the other fellows do? I have also heard that tail dragging canards are scarce. My curiosity was satisfied by attending float fly ins in Tennessee and by watching for about two years a couple of friends fly from a lake in a Park which also had dry surfaces. From what I saw I promised myself that no model of mine would ever be put in water. It cannot be any more fun than dry land flying as I see it. The Icon A5 which I saw flying from grass appeared to be as stable as any model I have ever seen. The UP pitch from the drags of the wing and elevator seem to be balanced by the DOWN pitch from the thrust line and the drag of the lower float surface which is turned upward for lift and attack. I was thrilled when the pilot put the Icon into an inverted flat spin. Like many other things, the fun of flying models is a process of the mind. My wish is that all of you will experience it to the fullest.

Charles
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Charles, Charles, you can traverse to the "dark side" now and then and not worry about not being "Mr. Backwards".

I forgot one thing. Get some Corrosion-X, red label, spray the rec, esc, servos to protect them from water. I have used it on all my float planes.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: can't think, typed the same words twice, I hate when that happens.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,629 Posts
Orrin and Dereck, Yes!

Do it Charles, a new challenge!

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,441 Posts
Dereck, Orrin, Nick, NO! It's like taking a shiny Motorcycle or car down a muddy road.

A few things were done on the new Duck today. Since it will be a simple canard, the build should be quicker.

Charles
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Sorry Charles. You've been out-voted. Time to get you bottom wet, or at least your floatyboat's nether regions.

Seriously, splash and go is real good fun. My club mates have accused me of only flying straight and level on very rare occasions, but am quite happy to do entire floatyplane flights in the visual circuit pattern.

Perhaps I should finish up my VSC - Very Short Canard - plan? Being me, it's a taildragger with a tractor prop...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Umcasi

I'm representing UMCASI a University of Manitoba student group that designs and builds gliders. Together we have a lot of knowledge on aerodynamics and good resources to do analysis, we do however lack in manufacturing methods.

We're here to learn and are open to any suggestions. I invite everyone interested to check out our website as it provides more details about what we do. There's also a video that shows our previous design.

www.umcasi.ca

I'd just like to mention now there is not power system nor are there any control surfaces. Our design is completely passive as required by our rules of competition.
UMCASI is offline Find More Posts by UMCASI