HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:57 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Thanks Don. I figured there was a good reason or it wouldn't be like that. I will set mine up per the original aircraft. Burt knows what he is doing. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
I just returned from flying the Voyager twice. Took it way up and tried everything to make it spin but it is so rock solid stable there was no chance. Another fellow had the Slo Mustang which He has had for several years and had moved the CG rearward to the point that he could nurse a spiral dive into an almost full flat spin. He stole the show three times. It would not always reach the flat spin but when it did the elevator was useless. He used full throttle.Years ago during the peak of pattern flying, our club would have total number of spins competition and I remember counts over 100.What other maneuver is more exciting? My new Delta Canard should spin. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:40 PM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
I took my Voyager up for it's second flight today in a good deal of wind. Nothing seemed to bother it. I tried putting in a snap roll but instead it did some kind of gyration. Interesting none the less.

Landing was as non-eventful as it was the first time. Just a nice docile plane that sure does look as different in the air as it does on the ground.
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Mar 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Carmard

To answer the question concerning the cg of Voyager on maiden was at 15.37 per formula. With the battery on board the Voyager was extremely nose heavy. Another thing, the Voyager has an engine extended outside the body because of the size of the motor. It flew and flew well, except for the spins. Beautitul plane in the air and flew well. thanks...Joe
jed1d is offline Find More Posts by jed1d
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Solid Hit, My canards do a barrel roll but no snap roll, a trick I love to do. Today, I did some nice loops and flew inverted. I also like the stall straight up and fall gently over backwards. The model got lots of praise from the guys. Joe, The added mass to the rear may be the reason you can spin.This hobby is full of interesting things. I saw a Corsair today, about a forty size, just ripping through the sky about 80 mph at least and all it could do was roll and circle the field. Exciting but how long can you stay interested in high speed? We have a variety of neat models in the club which include lots of combat types which hold a good national standing. I am encouraging the officers to include "Most Unique" in our future fun fly meets. Chares
Last edited by canard addict; Mar 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Voyager Power

Today, I received my third Medusa 28-32 1500 to power my delta canard. This motor also powers the Egret and Voyager with an 8-4 APC and three lipos. It weighs only 2.5 ounces and operates from 83 to 90% efficiency per Moto-Calc. It pulls 18.5 amps and needs air flow to keep it cool. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Mar 27, 2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I have a quick (and possibly stupid) question, Charles - are you running the Medusa in reverse with the APC 8x4 (or 8x4E thin) prop? The selection of 8x4 pusher props appears to be limited to Zinger.
Thanks for taking the time to document your Voyager build -- a huge help!
pjw
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Old Mar 21, 2007, 08:38 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
pjw, I run an AXI in reverse and use a regular prop with the marking on it facing foward - facing the same way it would if the motor was up front. You should be able to use any prop.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:08 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
pjw, I envy you for living in my home town which is also a great place for model flying. The rotation is reversed on a brushless motor by switching any two power wires to the motor.Thanks, Solid Hit for that good answer to a question that seems to be widespread. Yesterday I took the Sig Seniorita out for some three point landing practice. The wind was dead calm in the late afternoon and the flying will leave great memories. Charles
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Thanks, guys -- it seemed like such an elementary point, but I've only run glow engine pushers, and always used purpose-built props.

And yes, I recently retired back to Chattanooga after working in a number of locations - nice size, nice weather, and reasonable costs. Not to mention it's where the Missus said we'd retire.
Check our website: http://www.crccflyers.org
pjw
Old Mar 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
Just call me .... Bill
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
Flew my Voyager for the last time. I love flying that plane but too many (if that's possible) and it has to go.

I can't believe how it glides! I honestly expected it to be a handful but it's a baby. The glide is it's problem, I can't fly it in the small field I have so the only time it goes up is when I make it to the large field and that is becoming increasingly harder to do.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 05:11 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
That's a first!

That's a first. Selling a model because it flies too well. Mine is ready to go. All up weight is 42 ounces with the Mega 16-25-6 on there and a 3s 2400 lipo. I used HS 81 servos for the ailerons and one Blue Bird 371 (21 oz in) for the canard. I had to add 2 oz of lead to the nose. I simply wanted to put a big old servo up there for added weight but it just would not fit. My maiden was suppose to be today but the winds were really bad so I'll shoot for Wed morning. I did add an air scoop under the nose and just behind the nose wheel. There is absolutely no air going in there to cool the speed controller or batteries. There is now. I'll add another one if need be. I can't believe these design engineers, knowing this is an electric powered model and will be carrying a sizeable battery pack, don't desing in some cooling vents. That was the problem with the Fire Bat canard too. From all the good reports, all 3 of them, I should have no problem with mine. Plus, we have a big, wide open flying site so a long slow approach is no problem for me. Maybe that is why Burt Rutan put a speed/drag brake on the original Long EZ. Tom
Old Mar 26, 2007, 06:40 PM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
LongEZ downloads

You can download LongEZ CAD files and a pdf of the owner's handbook at:
http://www.ez.org/downloads.htm
I, too was wondering about battery/esc cooling, Tom.
I bent a new nose gear today from 3/32" m.w. with a 3-turn coil. That's the same diameter as the kit's nose gear. Will (attempt to) install it as a steerable nose gear with "rudder" servo beneath the canard.
I had to remove the factory-installed blind nuts for the canard due to the gross misalignment of the mounting screws. Nitro would have done us a favor by just throwing the blind nuts into the parts bag.
One other thought I've had, looking at the earlier posts, is to use a piece of sharpened brass attached to music wire to create an antenna-chase behind the wing leading edge. A few soda straws could be eased through the holes made in the ribs to carry the antenna ... with about 6" of wire protruding at the tip. This could be hidden by routing this last bit up through the top of the winglet. Any structural or reception issues doing that?
[Or bite the bullet and get a 2.4 gHz system.]

pjw
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:29 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Mine too pj !

The carnard bolt allignment on mine was terrible too. Here are a few shots of my latest mods. The scoop is like the ones Charles uses from Hobby Lobby, and yes, that is a DX6 receiver in there. Glued a balsa stanchon on the floor behind the canard opening and velcro'd the receiever to it. One of the two antennas is pointing foreward under the canard servo, and the other, at 90 degrees, is pointing straight up. That is all that shows as far as the antenna goes. Range check was excellent. Just waiting a few day so Elaine can be there with me for the maiden flight. She likes it when I test fly models. Tom
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:00 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
try this again...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 27, 2007 at 05:51 PM.