Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:34 AM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Bills opps

I gave up on me designing a canard. But after looking at this forums pictures mayby after I finish the super sportwin featured on June 2011 AMA cover s should use one of the designs you guys have flying.

Bill N
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
great Job Bill!

Thats great Bill! very funny humor!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Hi Captain Canardy
I noticed that I put the motors on backwards, but then it happened again on another that I designed and built. I hope I don;t mess up the super sportwin I'm building now

have been flying rc since Nov 2009. and now I have 44 planes
# 46 should be a canard.
regards

Bill Nash
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,492 Posts
William, If you have been designing for 42 months, that is better than one build per month which is incredible. It seems that it would be refreshing to toss in a canard or two. Do you have an idea about what was wrong with the Twin? Andy Lennon's book is available at Hobby Town stores and will give you the basics of canard design. That combined with some help here should be enough for success. Please let us know how you are doing and have fun down there with Happymcc Keith.

Charles
canard addict is online now Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Charles

I need to define my 44 planes.

I have designed and built 8 planes. some have been built from a wing given to me.
If someone at the field crash a plane, and were going to trash it, I would take it and rebuild it. I crashed some too, and only trashed one.
I have refurbished planes given to me like a sig 120 4 star. it's got a 2800 watt motor in it.
the rest are ARF.
after spending all my adult life building houses, a 41 ft sail boat from plans, and owning a machine shop. building a model plane was no problem. in my early 20's I built 2 control line planes. now at 77 years old I spend most of my time in my shop building something. learned to fly RC in Nov. 2008, and the collection began.
At the club field no one flys more times than me. They said that I was too old to learn to fly so I flew the plane upside down over the field. On my farm I have a grass 400 ft runway.

Maybe soon, one of you will share a canard design I can build.
The canard that I build did a flat spin, flipped upside down. and crash. I blamed the fin/ rudder placement. maybe i should have two on the ends of the wing.

Well thanks for letting me bend your ear. But I could not let you think that I designed all of my planes

regards

Bill Nash
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Jun 29, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,814 Posts
Hello Bill

Nice models! I'm interested in your twin boom design because I am presently having fun and games building a small EDF version of the dh Vampire. How did you arrive at the thrust line for your prop? It looks pretty radical in the picture. My next attempt will be with the tube at zero, the wing at +2 deg and the horizontal stab at zero. Earlier attempts had the wing at +4 degrees and, no matter what I did with the elevator, the power would pitch the nose up into a stall. Yours looks as if the wing is something more like -4 degrees.

A year or so ago I drew digital plans for Charles' Delta Duck. He and I both found it to be a great deal of fun and interest. You are most welcome to a copy of those plans, with Charles' agreement of course.

Cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Last edited by nickchud; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Hello nick

I looked at your plane and noticed that your stab/ elevator is of flat stock.
The elevator on my twin boom plane is a flying wing. producing lift on the tail.
the motor has ~ -2 deg. It flys flat and level with full power, or on a glide.

I am sorry that i can't measure the deg. since the plane is at home in Florida and I am in Virginia right now.
when I get home in 2 weeks I will put the meter on it and advise what it is.

first recheck your CG you may have to move it back. then try the changes you propose. I would change the motor angle first. One thing at a time.

Bill Nash
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
A Machine shop?! Do you have any tooling to sell??
Great work! I love it!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,492 Posts
WILLIAM M, Thanks for the summary of your life and entry into modelling. I love your work and wish that I had some of your energy. If you want to build a canard please look at the bottom of page one of this thread which directs you to a page where several of my builds are located. We can discuss any of your questions. My plans are certainly not classified restricted and the details are available. My building philosophy has always been based on keeping it simple. Canards are IMHO, just as easy to design as conventional models.

Charles
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,492 Posts
Bird Flight

Check this out

Robotic bird takes flight into the future Video Reuters.com.flv (1 min 33 sec)

Charles
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:34 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Charles

I like your twin Canard. it looks great.
are the plans available for it? I would like to build one of these.
please advise me.
Regards

Bill
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Johnny

sorry Johnny no tooling. My brother, still is running the machine shop.
I sure would like to use a lathe or a milling machine at times.
But the shop is an 8 hr. drive away.

Bill
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
That's cool! mostly joking! here's a sample of what I have done within the heat bog.
these are the base profiles needed for lasering!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,492 Posts
WILLIAM M, Thank you for showing and expressing your positive views of the Twin. It is possible to have a copy of my drawings but since the model was built and drawn up as parts were needed and the construction was done as I saw fit at the time, many details were not documented. You probably are capable of using my outlines and adding your own versions of the details from what I see of your beautiful models. One big problem which I did not foresee was adding nacelles to a tapered leading edge. The LE should have been parallel to the TE from the fuselage to the outer edge of the nacelle as on the DC-3 twin to greatly simplify nacelle construction. Also the cost of running a 47 inch long drawing through the Fed X machine is not real cheap. I will be happy to gather up the details especially if you will show us the results here.

Charles