HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
Mustang Ace, It is good to hear from you and that you are still having fun with models. I'm sure that you can come up with an interesting canard. I cannot get enough of my Twin.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
The Twin toured the sky yesterday at the Hilltop Flyers field. The field was wet and bumpy but the rudder kept it in a straight line as it left the ground with no UP elevator. The model flew in a straight line with no need for any trim corrections. The twin motors putting air blast to the rudder and ailerons caused quick response especially from the rudder. Barrel rolls will be fun and a spin may be possible. The landing glide at OFF throttle was a bit nose down but the front gear, unlike the other wheels was free from wet ground debris. Last evening it went up again at the Stone Mountain field. Full 300 watt power was used to get over the pine trees in a cross wind. The model was very hard to see against a background of thin white clouds in the dim light of 7:30 PM with filtered Sun, so the flight was shortened. On landing the model turned left from the runway and van-ed into the wind onto the grass. The bumpy air and my poor left hand skills were unable to fight the conditions. The tall grass did no damage and the LG is still straight. Practice is now needed to land the Twin with a bit of power added.

Charles
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,945 Posts
Brilliant! Congratulations Charles.
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
focke-wulf 19 "ente"

Hi,I've been trawling through the canard sub-forum,and have got to page 180 so far.I have built a few canards in years past,as well as a flying flea.I have a liking for oddball types of aircraft.
I recently obtained a plan off ebay for this canard,originally published in an english magazine.I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully built and flown this model.
The prototype might have had some issues,as designer Georg Wulf was killed when the 1st one crashed.A second aircraft was built,which went on a sales tour through europe,but no sales were realised.The aircraft was then put in a museum,which was bombed during wwII,destroying the aircraft.
A free flight model was made succesfully,see here:
http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/...m=1264528983/0
The plan I have is for a 68" span model,powered by 2x.15 2-strokes.No weight is given,but if I build it light,I hope to be able to get under 4lbs,using a mixture of balsa and foam board.
My intention is to use electric power,as in the past my efforts at glow powered twins have meant mostly misery.
I could use 2 .26 4-strokes,but that would mean a substantial weight increase,which I'd like to avoid.
I have 2 of these motors:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18647
And I also have 2 of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8504
I would use 50A esc's and a 3000mah Li-po for power.
I might also add the later FW42 was developed from the basis of the 19,the 42 also being named "ente"(duck).Several models of the 42 are shown earlier in this forum.
Any advise welcome.Thanks.BB.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Charles, its great to hear of your successful flight. I really like the styling of the model. It looks great with all the windows lined up and the good job you did with the clear canopy as usual.

I expect a large canard relative to the main wing will mean higher induced drag overall. It would reduce the glide ratio as the wing areas become more like a conventional biplane. I think we know how those perform in dead-stick situations. Anyway, a bit more drag can be an advantage when landing a model with a difficult approach such as when the field is surrounded by trees.

I'm glad to see you still having fun and creating another new and different design. It looks like a lot of fun to me. I'll be very interested to see the video when that eventuates.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
beaverbuddy, Thanks for submitting the Focke-Wulf ente. I read the thread and watched the videos. For 1927, that was a decent design with the engines sitting near the CG, the huge rudder and the canard wing extending far out front. The designer must have known the aeronautic essentials and maybe even built a small model for testing. It seems that your power system will be good for four pounds. My Twin weighs three pounds and pulls 166 watts per motor. I used 35 amp controllers and a 2.7 ahr battery. Each motor pulls about 15 amps. I am amazed how well the ente flew considering it's short fuselage. If you build a 68 inch model, you will be in a unique class which will pay great dividends from start to finish. I am sure that the guys on this forum will be happy to discuss all aspects of your build.

Charles
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
John 235 and Trevorh, thanks for positive remarks.

John 235
Quote:
I expect a large canard relative to the main wing will mean higher induced drag overall. It would reduce the glide ratio as the wing areas become more like a conventional biplane. I think we know how those perform in dead-stick situations. Anyway, a bit more drag can be an advantage when landing a model with a difficult approach such as when the field is surrounded by trees.
I love models with a beautiful glide and low ratio which is just what the Twin has, but on the landing approach, it appears a bit too quick even at power off. I have not had a chance to try UP elevator on landing yet for fear of upsetting the perfect wheel landing profile. It needs a calm cool afternoon to practice three points on the runway with low power. I look forward to testing that large canard for it's UP power and stall angle. The chuck glider flies lighter with a bit of aft CG which makes me feel that the full sized one could be nose heavy. There is lots for me to learn on this model before a video is made. Thank you for all of your comments during the build which kept my mind working, inspired the nose wheel and affected the airfoils. Does the nose wheel take away from the model's looks? It is great insurance from nose overs but so far has not been needed. A cut off wheel will make short work of it.

Charles
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
Does the nose wheel take away from the model's looks?
Not to my eye it doesn't - just part of the model's character. I reckon your next model should have a monowheel and outriggers, just for a change!
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
Quiet Artist At Work

Beautiful
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Thanks,Charles,I have the spars cut,and the ribs out of foam board.I'm a bit under the weather at the moment,but when i get building,I'll take pics and post them.
Regards.Hans.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
Happymcc, I'm glad that you seem to like the twin! I need the Hodges Hobbies field and a blue sky to really test her out. I hope you are enjoying yourself down there.

Charles
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Fly Lite Fly Right
Joined Aug 2004
1,150 Posts
Thanks Charles
I have had eye trouble from the diabetes . So I am now a one eye'd blind man :P
The doc is working on my right eye to see if he can get it back , I have confidence in him . Hope you are fine too
Keith
Happymcc is offline Find More Posts by Happymcc
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2004
10 Posts
Charles,
What a beautiful job on the twin goose. It really looks cool. I'd vote for keeping the nose wheel.
Hank
hank ramm is offline Find More Posts by hank ramm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,495 Posts
Keith, I sent a PM to you. My best wishes that you will recover.

Hank, Thank you for your comments. Maybe the four wheel idea will catch on. The P- 47 could do much better with one. I trust that your Goose is still well?

Charles
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:27 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Bills opps

Hi guys

my friend, happymacc posted this picture and asked advice.
Well I finally got it to fly and crashed it on it's maden [ yah thats right maden] flight. I put it back together and opps I put the big wing on the front. Well it now flys nice

regards

bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M