HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
Hi nick

That's the philosophy of a fixed canard, stalling before main wing means u can't use max lift on main wing. I am referring to authority to pitch down to recover from stall after main wing has stalled. Like euro fighter the entire canard can point almost straight down and thus get the nose down to recover from stall

Best regards, nice video

Armour
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
hmmmm
Quote:
get the nose down to recover from stall
I think there's a fairly short window after the main wing stalls before it starts to slip backwards. At that point, whatever you do with the canard has the opposite effect until you use the motor to get going forward again. As I proved (IMHO) with my Short EZ.

Of course, it might be worth trying, and certainly interesting, to try pulling the elevator all the way back to see if that pushes the nose down, causing another change of direction back to the front again.

Cheers

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
Sometimes with an aileron/elevon defeflected down the AOA on that side increases and instead of that wing moving up in response to control input it stalls the wing and rolls into that wing opposite to applied control.

In a power off stall I agree not much benefit but for slower/shorter take off and landing especially with power on greater benefit will be realized because you can now fly the main wing to max lift coefficient
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
Yes opposite on canard means u slipping backwards, I didn't read carefully
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
If the wing stalls first, the sudden forward shift of the center of lift tends to result in a very violent pitch-up that typically is much faster than a human pilot's reaction time. Therefore, having an all-flying canard "like euro fighter" will not solve the problem. This is especially true of a low-inertia aircraft like our models. Without something fast enough to outpace the aircraft's behavior (such as fly-by-wire with active artificial stabilization, the real reason why the Eurofighter can perform controllably at very high alpha), the plane will still diverge, possibly flipping over completely backwards.

The reason for the all-flying surfaces on planes like the Eurofighter is not stall recovery, it's because multi-element flying surfaces (such as stab+elevator) tend to get in trouble with unstable local shock waves forming and disappearing at transonic and supersonic conditions.

In subsonic applications, you can usually get more control authority from a multi-element flying surface than you can from an all-flying surface, because it changes both angle of attack and camber, not just angle of attack like an all-flying surface does. An all-flying tail usually needs to be bigger than a multi-element surface to achieve the same control authority. An exception is in very-low-Reynolds-number applications, where too much camber can cause problems.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Nov 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
U right I didn't think of reaction time
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:01 PM
United Kingdom, Basingstoke
Joined May 2011
20 Posts
Can anyone recomend a 4+ch fasst reicever for a starmax edf 64mm f/a 18?
flyboy529 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy529
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:36 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
Fasst receivers: These people have some deals on at the moment

nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
[QUOTE=Don Stackhouse;19967551]If the wing stalls first, the sudden forward shift of the center of lift tends to result in a very violent pitch-up that typically is much faster than a human pilot's reaction time. Therefore, having an all-flying canard "like euro fighter" will not solve the problem.

just a thought

with an all 'control' canard (not on a servo) that is hardly loaded except when deflected to induce a moment, would not the canard 'weathervane' into the airflow, unless manipulated otherwise, and therefore not produce that drastic pitch up you mentioned?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Maybe you could have a full flying canard, on the elevator channel with a gyro just on the canard, not on the actual elevator. then on a violent pitch-up, it would compensate for that and allow you to maintain control...
think that would work?
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
on a real aircraft with cable or rods the canard would probably follow the airflow but a servo tends to hold it in place untill it is moved. im not sure if its possible to set up a servo tp work like a real aircraft.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,881 Posts
I imagine that if, rather than operating the control surface directly, you made the servo operate a trim tab on the control surface, then the control surface would try to maintain its set angle to the airflow. I'm not sure what the effect would be - flutter, probably!

Trevor
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
778 Posts
that would probably work if the canard is balanced with Cg at about 25% of its chord and hung(pivots) forward of about 20% of Cg.(?)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
It's still going to go where the trim tab tells it to go, and it's still going to continue making the same lift force even as the plane begins diverging in pitch. The problem started at the wing, so monkeying with the canard after the fact is not likely to help. The horse is already out, it's too late to close the barn door at that point.

However, the system using the rate gyro to snuff out sudden uncommanded pitch excursions stands a pretty good chance. In effect, that's how an artificial stabilization system works; a gyro or other similar sensor detects when the plane tries to do something on its own that it was not told to do, and then the system applies a control correction to stop it. You might have to experiment with the system "gain" (sensitivity; how big of a response the system makes for a given sized disturbance), but once that is set, it could help.

The down side of that system is that you have now made the gyro and its associated system a "safety of flight" item, and added a whole raft of new failure modes, most of them pretty critical. Whenever you add something in one area of a plane's design, you almost inevitably have to take away something somewhere else.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:51 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I know this is a tad off topic right now, but I found this roaming around here on RC Groups and i thought some of you would like this airplane.

I can't build it, but I am sure that someone here could.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post19986471

post #7173

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014