HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:03 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
I believe that either motor would do it,Tom. I favor the Mega for it's efficiency.Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:30 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
I like the AXI for it's lightness. I have two friends who will be out to the field tomorrow who want me to test fly their new models. I will start the build as soon as I get home. I am so glad it fits in my Prius in one piece. That was a big worry with me.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Voyager Dihedral

alv101, The dihedral on mine is about 20mm or 3/4" under each wing. I wouldn't worry because with aileron control you probably could do OK with none. DB Mike, you seem to be doing well with canard introduction in Arizona. I am hoping That Model Airplane Engineering will supply their optimum design arrangement for the Boxy Z. That may well be the Sig Cub of the Canard world for newbies. I want one in my fleet from all the positive comments and also to fly at my local soccer field. My Voyager is assembled and I can hardly keep my hands off it because it is so darn beautiful. I don't even want to add the trim for fear of a negative change. Maybe when I feel good that the wrinkles will not return, the trim or my special design can be added. My receiver was dead so I have reordered and can test on Friday or Saturday. Please keep the comments coming on your progress. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Feb 22, 2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
Voyager slow progress

Hi Charles!

I really understand you, once the plane is put together is like a magnet!! I hardly can keep my hands off, but my eyes are staring at her even when I should be looking after the kids!

It sounds awfully selfish, but to tell you the truth, I am happy you build four times faster than me, your succesful maiden will make for a much less stress when my own time arrives

Im still tweaking the wing attachment, but I hope that would be done tonight. Its slow when you can only work on the plane at night (and only IF the kids DO sleep )

Anyway, are you setting the throws in elevator and ailerons as per the instructions? are they same as MY instructions??

6mm/8mm elev

10mm/10mm aileron

what about expo? are you using some?
alv101- is offline Find More Posts by alv101-
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Voyager Throws, Exponential

alv101, I always set the throws around 10mm for all surfaces with no exponential then change after the maiden. It is just a matter of past experience. From what we have heard on this model,I will use 1/4" or 6mm on the elevator and no exponential is needed for such a small movement. I like quick response. The ailerons are not so critical so 10 mm is fine. I have PM'd RalphD and MadstickCliff to help us pin down the COG and hope they will reply. Charles
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:44 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I finally decided what to build for my first canard... I bought the plans last year for the .40 size Q.A.C. Quickie from RCM. I am starting to look for a company to cut the cores for me. Should be an interesting project. I think I will try to make it a little more scale by rounding the bottom of the fuse behind the cockpit, though.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Feb 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Charles, I just weighed all my airframe components and the plane comes in at 21.6 ounces, minus the radio equipment and motor stuff. Not bad for a 55" wing span model. I did find that one wing panel was .3 ounces heavier that the other. I will have to check the lateral balance once she is assembled. Anyone else out there with one of these Voyagers should check too. That imbalance can cause a model to veer off to the heavy side. I really think I will go with the AXI 2808 24. It will bolt right to the existing firewall from the rear. For esthetics, I may make a plastic cover for over the top of it. This is such a pretty model. No wrinkles in mine yet. Tom
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:35 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Smash,Please keep us informed on the Quickie. Tom, You are lucky to get a light one and it may come in 4 ounces lighter than miine. My LEZ 380 was the heaviest around also.The New Goose got it's pilot today. Charles
Last edited by canard addict; Feb 21, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
Smash,Please keep us informed on the Quickie. Tom, You are lucky to get a light one and it may come in 4 ounces lighter than miine. My LEZ 380 was the heaviest around also.The New Goose got it's pilot today. Charles
Charles,
I love your pilot. Where did you get him?
I had another wonderful flight with the FLGoose this evening. It was a bit windy, but she flew well. I am ashamed to say that I still haven't perfected the landing, and she suffered some minor damage upon landing. The canard caught the ground and snapped the nose, but repairs have already made and she is flightworthy again. I have my rates set pretty low, so I don't think I am getting the proper throw on the elevator for landing flair. I will bump the rates up before the next flight to see if I can keep the nose up a little more on final.
Your Voyager is looking good. I bet you can't wait to maiden it.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Inspector, Check post 494 on the pilot from Hobby Lobby.He is Tom.I have three now and they told me today that they have a new stock of them. Why not try moving the COG back 1/4 inch on the Goose and see if the nose gets a bit lighter to control. The balance is always subject to change. I have moved mine around and on the Ga. Goose and have found the sweet spot. Check the power off glide for stable nose level action. Charles
Old Feb 21, 2007, 09:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
And one more snippet that turned up while I was looking for something else.

For "Cekoadon" (and an explanation what that means!) scroll down to the bottom-ish of:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.h.../unortho2.html

And from someplace else on his pages:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.h...ages/malm.html

I don't recall Ray's "Forray" Canard Biplane, but Ray turned out little models like this at a phenominal rate. I never managed to meet him - eventually, I even got to attend a flying meeting at the school he taught at before retiring, but Ray was out of town that night - my luck!

You also need to look up Ray's "Canair" design on the second page devoted to his designs, and "Rezenebe" on the third of Collin's FF pages!

RC never really can get the hang of the really, really different, I've found

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:13 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Charles, per our phone conversation on Tuesday, do you have a picture of your rogallo wing. I just might be interested in that contraption if the price is right and it suits my fancy. Tom
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Unusual Designs

Dereck, Thanks for those great links. You have once again sparked my interest. That crescent canard is fascinating to me. I now know that I must try a chuck glider of my version. It will be tailess and you should like it. That is what this thread is all about. You can walk down the line at SEFF and see all kinds of variations of conventional high,low,and mid wingers,hover types and helicopters but very few of models which dare to be different.I would even settle for a hovering bipe. Half of my fleet is now canards and the remaining are electric versions of my favorite conventional glow types. To keep the hobby new, I must always have change. Charles
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:34 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I don't know about plans, but I saw this plane at a local private airfield and took a couple of snaps... Anyone know what its called? It really is an interesting plane. I think I saw it in an episode of Airwolf.

Well, I found out that the plans for the Quickie that I have are for the Q1 version, and actually are fairly scale. If I wanted to make my life interesting, I would change it to make it a Q2 version, but I think I'm gonna wait till I decide to build another. I am still waiting to hear back from the foam cutter about the wings, though. And I need to make some copies of the plans to hack up as templates.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Voyager Finish

Smash, That is a neat plane but I have never seen one like it. Today the finishing touches were added. This model was such a fast build and if ARFS were all I did then there would be no way to store them. I have 4 planes now that have no tranmitter home and 2 with no space in my garage to put them. At least three must go to Perry and when next year rolls around I will have nothing that I will be willing to part with. Charles