HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:20 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
John - nice Gripen. All deltas will roll like bererkers! It's a habit of the species

Regards

Dereck
Who, technically, has a workshop again. Or more correctly, a room full of stuff that will be arranged into a workshop 'one day'.
Thanks Dereck,

Yup, Deltas roll like drill bits, but this beast before lowering the aileron rates a lot made any of my A4's look like they didn't roll at all

Congrats on having a room full of stuff. Get it arranged before winter hits. I grew up across the lake from Chicago and spent half the year in the basement. Man cannot live on bread alone, he needs dust, lots and lots of dust. Doesn't matter if it is balsa dust or foam dust as long as there is a lot of it.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:02 PM
North London, UK
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Hi guys

Finally, I bought a camcorder.

My canard Backbiter

RC Canard "Backbiter" (8 min 1 sec)

Tony
Perdu is offline Find More Posts by Perdu
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:59 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
That is a beautiful canard Tony! I can see you put a lot of work into it. Did you build it from scratch? It seems to have lots of UP authority. Thanks for showing it.
Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:17 PM
North London, UK
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Hi Charles

Yes, I built it from scratch, more than a month of balsa bashing but it was worth it. It's faster than I thought but flies well accept to the slow handling tend to Dutch roll slightly in in a side wind and maybe I need to reduce the up a little.

Tony
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:32 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
What nice videos. Tony, your Backbiter was fun for me to watch fly because it reminded me of one of my pusher canard gliders--I enjoyed your style of flight flying it on the wing and not the prop so much. The large canards sure have authority and the low wing-loading really shows in the aerobatics and slow landing speeds. Very cool!

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Last edited by Haole; Aug 02, 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Grammar Fail
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:39 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
No success with the ROW though. Possibly the problem was that I have an incidence of zero between the main wing and the top of the floats. I never got up enough speed for the wing to start lifting the tail out of the water.
Nick! Easy fix for you to try: Increase the planing area of the floats by adding balsa strakes to either side of each hull. Keep them flush to the edge of the chine and terminate them at the step. In your case, probably 1/4" wide strakes will be enough to get your step ventilating and the tail planing. I would say to try this first before changing your incidence angles unless moving your main wing mounts is an easy surgery.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:55 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,807 Posts
Tony .. I like your Backbiter. Scary moment on the launch there. I think your right wingtip came within a few inches of the ground, didn't it!

Carl .. Thanks for that suggestion. I'm off on holiday tomorrow so everything's being tidied away today. No more modelling till September.

I'll take my laptop and keep an eye on you all.

cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:26 AM
North London, UK
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Scary moment on the launch there.
Hi Nick

I know, scary.
It was the first time I launch it on my own.
I can't run and I can't control my right arm very well and difficult to grip (stroke) but I thought it worth the risk.

On the end of my video it's a first time I try to taxiing, I did not know I could control it on the ground without rudder, may be of try to take off on the grass.

Tony
Last edited by Perdu; Aug 03, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Delta Duck Build

The motor was tested with an APC 8-4 prop. It pulled 26 amps at over 300 watts. The main wing and ailerons were covered. The ailerons were mounted onto the wings with Du-Bro plastic hinges and 1/16" dowels. The wing was fitted to the fuselage with a 1/64" plywood fairing. Now that the motor has been tested, the fuselage is ready to cover.
Charles
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:50 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,807 Posts
This is like the university of construction! Terrific work Charles. An excellent example of how it should be done with balsa.

Thanks for posting such comprehensive pictures!

cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Charles, this is a really beautiful build! Your work looks as accurate as any I have seen.

The cream colour looks great on the built up wing. I am interested to see the trim you will use, as I feel that orientation will be important with this model.

I'm pleased you have the power system sorted out well now. The 2100 lipo with 300W available should be very entertaining.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Aug 07, 2010, 03:59 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,491 Posts
Nick and John, two guys in the big league here, have given me a terrific boost. Thanks! I will do my best to build it in line and hope for good results. A correction had to be made with the vertical fin location due to a 1/8" error at the fuselage tip. It may have been a drawing error.
John, there will be red winglets on the main wing tips which should help with visibility and hide the end ribs. If it flies, it will challenge my abilities. My first love was and still is a floater.
Charles
Old Aug 09, 2010, 01:34 AM
Joined Dec 2009
221 Posts
seems good
flying lx is offline Find More Posts by flying lx
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Charles is a master builder. I have watched more than one of his builds. I am so happy that Charles chooses to share his work with us with pictures and even if he makes a minor error, he mans up and tells us, so we don't make the same error. This new one looks really special. Cream and Red and we are all waiting for it to be finished.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:49 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Here is the Canard I have been playing with. The Ligeti Stratos. You can find my build thread here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277270

Here's my video I just put together as well.

Jim

Ligeti.mpg (2 min 25 sec)
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm