HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:36 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Speaking of old designs...I found this sketch in one of my journals. Might give you guys some more ideas to take advantage of the summer/amphibious canard fun.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:31 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,499 Posts
Hi Red Runner!
Great Job! I was bouncin' that one around in the noggin, only one complaint: I was thinking a clear canard to give the full effect!( visually!) glad she works!
Carl! Now that one will definately work! is that as far as you got? Looks dynamite< and according to other water flyers I've talked too, will definately not have the long momented power/break free problems of 50 " of hull! and a lot less wires!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:31 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Love the X-wing! Where's R2?
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Quote:
Carl! Now that one will definately work! is that as far as you got? Looks dynamite< and according to other water flyers I've talked too, will definately not have the long momented power/break free problems of 50 " of hull! and a lot less wires!
Johnny
Yeah, that's a sketch from '90. I was drawing up plans for canards (and electric models in general) long before the power/weight ratio was viable. With today's gear it would be brainless. Fun fuselage to build too. I'd probably go with a prettier wing-plan as there's no need for the Shumann planform on a regular span sport-flyer, but when I was in high school I didn't know better.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:22 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
The fuselage and rudder drawing details were added. The 1/8" balsa sheet fuselage sides were cut out. The AXI 2217-12 motor, the Jeti Spin 44 ESC, and the TP Pro Power 3S-2700 battery were ordered. With the APC 9-4.5E prop, it will pull about 25 amps per the data. The fuselage measures 36.5" long,1.75" wide and about 4" high at the tallest point. The wing spans 30 inches, has a 16.5" center chord and a 9" tip chord. The rudder is 7 inches tall and will be built with 3/16" square balsa. I am anxious to see the fuselage go together.
Charles
Hi Charles, The fin looks a good size. Hopefully it will be sufficient together with the small wingspan and the long tail moment that works in favour of yaw stability. Now you have rudder and some decent fuselage area, I wonder if knife-edge flight is going to be in your future.

2.4oz is very light for a 270W motor. I was surprised and I had to go and check the AXI website for myself. I think that figure is a good for your model since 30" wingspan isn't a lot to carry the weight. Putting more weight in the nose might make the balance difficult too. The 9" tractor prop should give some solid thrust for aerobatics. Overall I really like the direction you are going with this model. Do you have a figure for the flying weight in mind?
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,424 Posts
John, Thanks for those great comments! They have added to my enthusiasm that the darn thing may even fly. If it is successful, it probably will do much more than I am capable of making it do. I have not had a model that would spin in 15 years and it will please me if this one does and will recover since it will probably be a flat one. The motor is truly tiny but has powerful magnets. I just measured the cap from my 16.9 ounce water bottle and it is the same 28mm as the motor. All parts of the model were weighed and come to 28 ounces after adding 2 for the covering. I hope it stays below two pounds. The wing and battery are 15 ounces total. At a wing area of 412, it totals 11.2 ounces per ft. squared.
Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
2lb seems pretty light. I think it should be a very nice flyer at that weight.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
reallly cool !!!
myway is offline Find More Posts by myway
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:45 AM
Fly, Crash, Repair, Repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Sep 2007
135 Posts
Canard Motorglider

Here is a design by Bob Lovejoy that was printed in Soaring magazine many years ago. This could make an interesting model although it would probably be somewhat fragile especially with the ground clearance for the prop.

Stan
Red Runner is offline Find More Posts by Red Runner
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:08 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,499 Posts
Carl And Gang! here's the recent story!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236486
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:54 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,602 Posts
EZyCat

Carl and Johnny..

Quote:
Might give you guys some more ideas to take advantage of the summer/amphibious canard fun. ..Yeah, that's a sketch from '90.
There you go again! I'm still running with your idea of twin booms. So many bright ideas on this thread!

Twin motors, like your drawing above, are another good way to make sure you don't have too much weight at the front and rear, trying to achieve a balance point somewhere in the middle. Only now you end up with more weight spread out laterally.

This is where I'm up to so far with the EZycat.... I just have to set up hinges and pushrods etc. Then a cowling, canopy and finish the covering. Bottom surfaces are already done in white. I'm planning blue and yellow for the top surfaces. I'm using Solite, 'cos it's so light. In the hot dry weather we've been having here you have to take care with static. The stuff soon curls up and sticks to itself. I find the best way is to lay out a piece flat on the bench after cutting it, then peel most of the backing off but keep some attached, which makes it easier to spread out in place on the plane. On Depron, you can tack it down just by pressing with your fingers.

I couldn't resist the temptation to add another elevator panel in the inviting space between the two fins.

I'm enjoying this building with hybrid Depron/balsa/spruce (even some cf rod). 23oz so far and that's lighter than all balsa I used for the Long-EZ. It seems more rigid too.

cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Last edited by nickchud; Jul 12, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,424 Posts
Delta wing canard J10

Check out the video here

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../j-10-pics.htm

Charles
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,424 Posts
Nick, That looks like a great design as usual for you. The twin elevators will be fun and might assist it to ROW better. The Rutan styled wing should give you the best of both worlds with quick lift and stall outboard and the wide range alpha on the delta part. Next outing at the lake, you can show the guys how it is done. We need more picture angles!
Charles
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:25 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
That's awesome.
I'm curious how it would look with the front surface up on pylons..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W