HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:07 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,776 Posts
My original drawings for the Lillycat were posted here back on Nov13, #3138.

Evolutionwise, I mean with the benefit of hindsight, I would make those floats 60mm x 60mm in the outside measurements of the cross section in front of the step, and I would make the noses longer to improve the water handling. Just as I was getting up speed for take-off, the nose would dig in and she could whip around. I learnt to leave the rudders alone at speed and use the ailerons to keep her level.

That Starship wing, with tip fins, has such a lot of possibilities. I have a nice 220watt motor in mind as a tractor.

What could go wrong?

cheers chaps!

ick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:21 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
Steve and Nick, You two are full of new ideas. Thanks for showing them. Too bad about Whisper 4, Steve. With it's short nose, could there have been too much UP incidence in the canard wing? Just a guess.
I have hit a snag on the Delta Duck with the main wing. Someone said that the leading edge of the main wing was not so aesthetic and it has proven to be a tough build. I will change the top view to a more conventional shape. The symmetrical airfoil is not so friendly on the flat building board but it has been drawn and copied to card stock so it will be used. As with the Evader, a new design must come together well to spark the enthusiasm for a construction drive.
Charles
Your new build looks promising, Charles. Good Luck!

When you get tired of messing with all those airfoil problems, try a KF notched foil but I warn you when you see how well they work you may never go back!

Easter Sunday here and a great day. Got the CatScratcher maidened and about 8 more flights in two sessions. I'll upload video to the KF thread tomorrow when we go to Tagbilaran and I can get to the Internet Cafe and some high speed servers. CS is a pretty amazing bird if I do say so but thats a bit OT for here. Even if she did start out as a Canard.

I got started on a new Canard today too. I'm about 4 lazy hours into it and it seems to be coming together. Here are a couple of pics.
The main wing is 12" x 24 and the canard is 9"x8". Both are KFm2s. Incidence isn't more than a couple of degrees at most.
Well have a look and see what you think. Plan at the moment is elevons with canard elevator mix. I gotta run the numbers through the canard CG calculator to get the gear installation to balance things out.

Happy Spring Solstice to all you Pagans out there.

Just about over the cough. Feeling much better.

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Apr 04, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Steve, That new design looks fast. Is the red bar to the rear of the canard wing an elevator? I would normally think that your controls are too near the CG but with elevon elevator coupling it will probably be fine. There is a friend in our model club who designs and builds like you and Nick. I hope to take some photos of his work soon to show.
Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Apr 04, 2010, 05:22 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict View Post
Steve, That new design looks fast. Is the red bar to the rear of the canard wing an elevator? I would normally think that your controls are too near the CG but with elevon elevator coupling it will probably be fine. There is a friend in our model club who designs and builds like you and Nick. I hope to take some photos of his work soon to show.
Charles
Hi Charles,

Yep! the red part is the elevator and it's 2.25" x 9". I was thinking elevator aileron with just two servos but I don't have much incidence here so not sure it would work. The longer the nose the easier it is to break in a hard landing too. It wasn't too successful on the last Whisper MK4 version. Though that one turned out to be great as a wing. CatScratcher, the accidental airplane... Go figure!!!
The new canard is not an astheticaly pleasing thing to look at but it's my first boomer canard and I'm more interested in getting it in the air for a look-see at performance. If it doesn't worrk out I can remove the booms and I have a Nifty.

Steve.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:47 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
This should have been attached to the previous post but I had a brain fart....
Steve

Edit: April 5, 2010 10:48am
Here is the maiden and demise of Whisper MK4.

Whisper MK4 FnL.wmv (2 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:57 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,776 Posts
Wow Steve! That was quick. Your designs are number one in the fun to faff scale.

Here's a new idea, have a look at this. You could say it's a canard, though I think the control is just elevons and the forward wing is static. Good though, isn't it!

I'll be trailing along behind soon, with the plans of my next Lillycat version.

cheers

Nick
Old Apr 07, 2010, 01:57 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
...I'll be trailing along behind soon, with the plans of my next Lillycat version. ...
Nick,

Problems with the new canard. It will need a set of booms probably 12" longer than planned to balance it. So I'll make it into a Nifty and wait for your latest Lillycat to be completed before I start another. I think it will be a good idea for my first boomer canard to follow your lead. I may try a forward swept wing but not sure at the moment. Need to think about this...
Here's a pic:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3168407

You do the hard part and finish your design then I'll copy it and reap the benefits of your work.
I'm a bit disappointed but I"ll just have to be patient. It will balance about 1" behind the LE of the main wing and that's around 5" too far back.

Steve.

PS. I have a crazy urge t build a Lazy Bee for an AP plane too. Don't know what's coming over me...
Last edited by Cybernaught; Apr 07, 2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
Nick, Thanks for showing the flying canard boat. There were lots of great videos attached to your submission. Is the boat available as a kit or plans?
I like the Lillycat model and look forward to seeing more of it.
Charles
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:48 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,776 Posts
Thanks Charles

That IdroJeep is designed by the same guy who did the Stuntcat, which I have been knocking around with for a few weeks now. He released really good plans and instructions for that so I hope he will do the same soon for the flying boat. Meanwhile the plans for my new Lillycat will be ready this week some time and I'll post them on here.

cheers

Nick

PS
With special thanks to Perdu and Edmonds, I think I'll shelve the idea of a plane that can reverse direction in midflight for the time being. Any radical in-flight adjustment to the CoG seems to be a lot of faff for a little fun.
Last edited by nickchud; Apr 08, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 10:06 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,776 Posts
Lillycat plans

Here's where I'm up to so far...

All suggestions and questions will be gratefully received.

More to come...

cheers

Nick
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:03 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Here's where I'm up to so far...

All suggestions and questions will be gratefully received.

More to come...

cheers

Nick
Nick,

You are into some heavy design there... It's looking good. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Nice, and a very complete approach to your build. I wish I could do that.

Steve.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:00 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,776 Posts
Hi Steve

I've got a really good design program that's used in schools in England. At first I was given a students' freebie version by a teacher friend of mine, but I've upgraded it now. It's called 2D Design from Techsoft Design tools. I like the 2D part of that name, I'm not at all sure that I will get my head round 3D. There are probably several other products before you have to get into expensive full-on CAD-CAM. Google Sketchup looks interesting too.

You can do it!

Nick
Old Apr 09, 2010, 04:20 PM
Eipper
Spain, CT, Cabrils
Joined Jan 2005
10 Posts
LEZ Voyager dressed and flying

First I want to say THANKS to all you guys for the great info in this thread. The LEZ Voyager recovery is complete and the plane is flying VERY NICE

Charles, thanks for your info about the LEZ Voyager, I did it some molds job and at the end the plane's AUW was around 45oz., I add a front gear Robart 124 retract, wheel pants, laterals and belly air scoops (was thinking about naca scoops but I chose your option, was more easy ), hatch back door, pilots, instruments panels, ailerons servos IN the wings not ON the wings like the plane comes and so on ......... then realize that may be the KDA 2220L are short in power , search for a while in my trash box and find a Turnigy 2236-1200 and a Esc Hxt36A, with that motor I have an amazing static thrust of 43oz. with 9x5.5 @ 25A 296W 3S 2200 25C .

I did it some simulated takeoff without the wings because I put a 1/16" shim in the canard LE to have 1.5 additional degree, now have 4.5 in the canard, 3 in the wing and 0/0 donw/laterals thrust in the motor ......... with a 1/4 throtle the plane goes up the nose . Then, the time for the wings ....... half a throtle and the plane take off alone without touch nothing, at cruise speed (+/- 65%) a pair of down trim and thats all. The fly was almost for 11 minutes @ 50%, the onboard wattmeter report was 10.92A and 128W prom. ........ in the second flight did it the retraction and was REALLY NICE to see the LEZ fliying like the "real" thing . With the front gear up and the throtle @ 90% a "slowly" AviStar with a Os .40LA I think continue looking for the LEZ

Uli, you has right, ALL the formers in the fuselage had to be re glued and reinforced. Following your advice about the motor temp (much more with the turnigy) I make it the laterals and belly air scoops and the hatch back and the batteries, Esc, and motor come down warm but not hot, I think was a very good idea. The wings are in better shape, the only problem in all the plane was take out the plastic film because when pull out only comes the transparent film but all the colour (paint ) stay on the wood, then I need to sand ALL the plane, I tried with a sander but all the wood is 1/64" then I did it by hand, that "step" take me almost 3 days .

For the momment I put some "home pictures", later in the field pictures and the remainden video ...... if some body need pictures and/or info about the mods just ask for, are so much to put here.

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Alfredo.-

BTW: Somebody saw the possible mod to the Icon Flying wing to make the Icon Canard From Richard Jarel of Jarel Aircraft Design it's that possible
eipper is offline Find More Posts by eipper
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:48 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Hi Steve

I've got a really good design program that's used in schools in England. At first I was given a students' freebie version by a teacher friend of mine, but I've upgraded it now. It's called 2D Design from Techsoft Design tools. I like the 2D part of that name, I'm not at all sure that I will get my head round 3D. There are probably several other products before you have to get into expensive full-on CAD-CAM. Google Sketchup looks interesting too.

You can do it!

Nick
Nick,

I played around with various CAD programs and can do them but it takes too much time and effort for me. Yes. I can do it but I can also build a plane that will fly without using any plans at all and it's a lot less hassle. Besides I never follow the plans when I do have them. I always wander off into the either and get lost in some crazy last minute idea. I have Sketchup, by the way. I seem to be able to put an idea down best in Windows Paint. See Pic for the next potential build.

eipper

Amazing looking bird. Nice work.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Apr 09, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,473 Posts
eipper Alfredo
Quote:
LEZ Voyager dressed and flying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First I want to say THANKS to all you guys for the great info in this thread. The LEZ Voyager recovery is complete and the plane is flying VERY NICE

A great presentation and success story, Alfredo. Your accomplishment reflects many hours of study and hard work to produce one of the prettiest Long EZ's shown here. It seems that you have full grasp of the mechanics and power system of the model. Your success is a great reward to to all here who have contributed their thoughts. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Charles